Swensens Big C

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
BobHelm
udonmap.com

Swensens Big C

Post by BobHelm » December 16, 2009, 11:06 am

I have not been into the Big C complex for a couple of weeks, but decided to pop in today to buy some bread from S&P.
I was surprised (& disappointed) to see that they have shut the Swensens in there. A sign says (I think) that it has re-located to the UD Town site.
I can understand why they are wanting to open in UD Town, but will be disappointed if it is the start of a decline for Big C complex. They are handy for anyone living this end of town & are one of the few places with adequate & under cover parking - something no one can accuse UD Town of. :( :(

Texpat
udonmap.com

Re: Swensens Big C

Post by Texpat » December 16, 2009, 3:02 pm

Ah yes, the lovely undercover parking at BigC Udon -- locale of my first scrape-and-run -- on my three-hour-old truck.

Ahhh, memories. :(

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » December 16, 2009, 3:13 pm

In all the MANY times I have parked in it I have never had a scrape - maybe there is something in the concept that "As you sow so shall you reap". :D :D

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » December 16, 2009, 4:15 pm

Bit of Info about Swenson Ice Cream stores:The wife of an acquaintance of mine from Nong Khai,owns the Swenson store in The Tesco-Lotus complex of NK.He said the store has a quota of 50K a day and they easily exceed that!A real money maker!

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » December 16, 2009, 4:50 pm

Took my parents to the Swensen's in NK two years ago. After an OKish meal, mom wanted ice cream. The menu offered several different kinds of parfaits and chocolate monsters, but mom only wanted two scoops of vanilla ice cream -- no whipped cream, no nuts, no cherries, no chocolate.

The waitress was very apologetic in explaining they only sold single scoops.

That's fine, mom said, just put two scoops into one bowl.

Very sorry, the waitress explained, must order two.

I understand, mom said, I will order two scoops of vanilla, and pay for two scoops. But please put them into one bowl.

Very sorry, she said. We don't have two scoops available in one bowl.

The look on mom's face was priceless as she ate two scoops of ice cream -- in separate bowls. :D :confused:

(**edit ** upon further reflection, it was MK, not Swensens.)

LoongLee
udonmap.com

Post by LoongLee » December 16, 2009, 9:26 pm

Texpat,, another classic TIT story,,, a complete inability to apply common sense, critical thinking, or reasoning,,,, just rote animation...... :lol: I'm betting your Mom has retold that story many times, as a fine example of how Thai people reason,,, or fail to.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 17, 2009, 6:05 am

Yes I was surprised to see it shut too, oh well I am sure something will replace it,as for Big 'C' declining I disagree. I went to Big 'C' yesterday, and after having just been to Tesco's, I was pleased that the salad stuff at Big 'C' was more plentiful, better abd more reasonably priced than Tesco's.
Tesco's provides a minute amount of my general grocery needs, Big 'C' has come along way from 7 years ago and I am glad they are where they are.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”