Bargain Bike Service

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
Prenders88
udonmap.com

Bargain Bike Service

Post by Prenders88 » February 27, 2010, 9:39 am

Took my bone shaker to LA bikes yesterday for a service.
The front brake needed a tweak as it was making the front wheel stick.
The young guy there fixed that, ajusted the gears, replaced the lead cable end on the gear selector cable. Checked everything else, all for 30 baht. What a result =D>
One happy punter.

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Bargain Bike Service

Post by parrot » February 27, 2010, 8:36 pm

I've done several tune-ups on a 27-speed mountain bike, usually 50 baht to adjust the front/back gears and check out the chain, bearings, etc. Another 30-50 baht if they have to replace any cables. All done while you wait.
Flats typically cost 20 baht to have repaired.
My 5 year old mountain bike is going on 8000km, one change of tires, two chains, one rear derailleur, one set of brake pads, a few cable changes, original bearings still in good shape.

plien
udonmap.com

Post by plien » February 28, 2010, 11:51 am

Good to hear about such a place. =P~ Where is LA bikes located?

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 28, 2010, 7:48 pm

LA Bikes is at the intersection of Adunyadet and Wattana Nuwong. I prefer the bike shop located at the corner of Adunyadet and Prajak Rd (5 way intersection)........but I believe both shops are in the same family.

plien
udonmap.com

Post by plien » March 1, 2010, 2:01 pm

Thank you Parrot :D

plien
udonmap.com

Post by plien » March 2, 2010, 2:25 pm

Found another bike shop yesterday. It`s called Road Bike. They have a good selection of bikes and accessories.
Location: on Phosri Rd going toward the center, from Macro, just after the Firestone building, turn left into a small soi.
Road Bike is 200 meters down the soi on Right hand side, orange building.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » March 2, 2010, 9:09 pm

There is another bike shop on Sri Chomchuen Rd about 2 shops from the 7/11 (Udon Map G-11). This would be the 7/11 that is furthest from the prison. It is open all day tended to by the owners parents. The guy who runs it goes by the name Pepsi and is usually there around 5:30PM during the week. Weekends he is there all day. Khun Pepsi is a bike rider himself and can be trusted to get you the parts you need and the repairs to get you back on the road as soon as possible. What he does not have in stock can be easily ordered arriving in a day or two.

I am also quite familiar with the LA bike shop as well as the one mentioned by Parrot. I've had mixed results with both in the past and as a result usually deal with Khun Pepsi. I suspect the problem is too much bike assembly going on, and not enough room. For those of you interested in the bike shop at the 5 way intersection mentioned by Parrot ask to speak with Khun Peter who speaks english quite well and is usually very helpful.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » March 3, 2010, 10:18 pm

Plien

I was unable to locate Road Bike today from the directions you provided. I couldn't find the Firestone Building although I did note there was a Bridgestone & Good Year tire dealer on Phosri Road. How about giving me some coordinates from Udon Map. Is it after or before St Mary's. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

plien
udonmap.com

Post by plien » March 4, 2010, 12:16 am

fdimike wrote:Plien

I was unable to locate Road Bike today from the directions you provided. I couldn't find the Firestone Building although I did note there was a Bridgestone & Good Year tire dealer on Phosri Road. How about giving me some coordinates from Udon Map. Is it after or before St Mary's. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mike, I think it`s opposite St Marry`s. But to be sure I will go there again tomorrow and give you the exact location.
Plien

plien
udonmap.com

Post by plien » March 4, 2010, 11:51 am

Mike, you were right, it`s Goodyear, so...
Going from Macro toward AEK. Just after the Goodyear building is a small soi. St Mary`s school is on the opposite side of Posri Rd. There is a white sign in thai with a bicycle on it. And also a green sign that says soi Pracha Santi. And then 200 meters down that soi.
Map ref is T 16.
Hope you can find it now. Sorry for your inconvenience
Plien

carpenter

Post by carpenter » April 4, 2010, 7:53 am

Hi ; has anyone found a shop that sells crank-forward bikes in Thailand. The are good for old legs. They are made in China and sell for $1000 in Toronto. Richard

Mobaan
udonmap.com

Post by Mobaan » April 30, 2010, 4:19 am

Excuse my ignorance -but what is a crank -forward bike?

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » April 30, 2010, 7:25 am

Mobaan wrote:Excuse my ignorance -but what is a crank -forward bike?
This website should give you an insight Mobaan:
http://www.crankforward.com/

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”