Central Plaza Expansion

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
Nick@AUA
Udonmap Sponsor

Central Plaza Expansion

Post by Nick@AUA » March 28, 2012, 7:54 am

The new Central looks great and very 'Hi-So', as they say. It's going to give UD Town a run for it's money - especially when it's raining....or hot...or both!

pompui
udonmap.com

Central Plaza Expansion

Post by pompui » March 28, 2012, 8:22 am

Home News last night showed a lot of the restaurants beng busy even the cheap end market re McDonalds.Mentioned the locals complaining the aircon was too strong. :D
Looked impressive but have they catered for plenty of parking and what are the opening times?

fdimike
udonmap.com

Central Plaza Expansion

Post by fdimike » March 28, 2012, 8:47 am

Opening/closing times are the same as before.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

wayne747
udonmap.com

Central Plaza Expansion

Post by wayne747 » March 28, 2012, 2:00 pm

Great pics, thanks

kod
udonmap.com

Central Plaza Expansion

Post by kod » March 28, 2012, 2:29 pm

welcome!
:D :D :D

gudtymchuk
udonmap.com

Central Plaza Expansion

Post by gudtymchuk » March 28, 2012, 5:13 pm

Visited the "New Central Plaza" today and was impressed with what has been accomplished. A great improvement with lots of new shopping and dining venues. Very happy to see Sizzler opened and had a nice salad and soup bar lunch. Parking much improved and convenient. Overall I give the place a solid 8 on a scale of 1 to 10.... Udon not the same place it used to be.
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

rct
udonmap.com

Central Plaza Expansion

Post by rct » March 29, 2012, 5:15 am

GOLD RUSH - SELL JAPANESE CUISINE!

Without yet doing an actual count, there must be at least ten large Japanese/Korean restaurants already open on the 4th floor. Not so many western venues, apart from Santa Fe. Will be interesting to see if enough customers to support all of them in addition to UD Town outlets.

FUJI has always been my favorite for quality and value in a nice atmosphere, especially the steak set lunch for around 170 baht which includes fruit and coffee. Even people who may not particularly like Japanese food would probably like this meal, for half what it costs to pig out at an Oishi buffet.

pompui
udonmap.com

Central Plaza Expansion

Post by pompui » March 29, 2012, 5:27 am

Agree RCT about Fuji,TW and I were really looking forward to them opening at UD Town when a picture was shown on the advertising but alas no,so was good to see they have moved into Central Plaza.We are already planning for next week 8)

Flashman
udonmap.com

Central Plaza Expansion

Post by Flashman » March 29, 2012, 7:02 am

FUJI has always been my favorite for quality and value in a nice atmosphere, especially the steak set lunch for around 170 baht which includes fruit and coffee.

Now Central Plaza is open I wonder how big the impact will be on foreign owned places.

rct
udonmap.com

Central Plaza Expansion

Post by rct » March 29, 2012, 7:20 am

Re Flashman's question,for now there is no direct competitor with City Lodge, Irish Clock, Nobi's in the new plaza, meaning no western style food outlet or combination western and Thai, unless you count Santa Fe which is almost like fast food. On the 4th floor in the back by the music schools, there is a Thai restaurant with sign ionly n Thai, menu out front only in Thai too, looks very Thai, good luck with that. But Thai and western together?

Our choice will in time also be influenced by how much traffic to contend with going in and out. Parking right outside City Lodge is always convenient, never crowded inside etc. Plus the pleasure of teasing Tom, Andy and Peter about their occasional cranky moods in a neighborhood watering hole where everyone knows your name and that of your kids, will be hard to replace at those big new corporate owned places.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Central Plaza Expansion

Post by trubrit » March 29, 2012, 9:15 am

In there yesterday. Firstly must say pleasantly surprised by the variety of shopping on offer and yet still one more floor to open. The parking although initially slow getting in was ample with space for 2,000 cars. A heads up here though. Currently if entering from the Tawan Daeng side you have to go past the entrance to the front , do a U turn, joining the incoming traffic, not easy. So best to come in from the lights past the bus station, straight across .We actually spent a whole day in there, lots to see and do .Bit disappointed with Tops, seems a confusing lay out, but may get better when more familiar with it . Saw some Australian wine on sale .
go 002.jpg
Strange name at nearly 30Aus$, maybe some Aussie might be able to explain.
Had a stupendous Japanese style buffet in Kuru Zen at 295bht each . All you can eat in 1 1/2 hours. One of those places where the food goes round on a conveyor belt. Sorry to see some of the coffee places adopting the big city habit of adding a 10% service charge to the displayed prices. The one I went to and had an iced cappuccino 75bht, nothing special, and a slice of gateaux cake 115bht delicious, had in small print on the back page, 'Plus10% service charge where applicable." So my bill was 209bht .To add insult when my 41bht change came it was all coins, the girl stood with it open, obviously fully expecting me to tell her to keep it .Much to her chagrin I picked them all up .I see no reason to tip and pay for service .
Whether they get the service charge is between them and the management .
An observation. There were a lot of Korean tour groups in the center.
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

Zidane
udonmap.com

Central Plaza Expansion

Post by Zidane » March 29, 2012, 9:34 am

Went to the new Central Plaza yesterday and was very impressed.It is more like shopping in Bangkok than Udon.
The 4th floor does have a plethora of Japanese restaurants plus a Korean barbecue but for western food,as well as Santa Fe,there is Pizza Co,Black Canyon,S & P and Sizzler plus KFC and Starbucks on the 1st floor.
First floor has some decent shops,as well.....Jaspal,Charles and Keith,CPS(Chaps),Nautica and Crocs for shoes on the 3rd floor.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Ricohoc
udonmap.com

Central Plaza Expansion

Post by Ricohoc » March 29, 2012, 5:37 pm

Happy that the mall is open and that renovations are finished. I will visit after the hubbub and Songkrahn is over. Can't think of anything I need that badly to fight the crowds.
:D

tamada
udonmap.com

Central Plaza Expansion

Post by tamada » April 27, 2012, 12:22 pm

Been in and out a few times. The wife LOVES Fuji so that's always straight to the 4th level parking and in. TOPS is on the bottom so lower level parking for that expedition. I still haven't sussed the route into the 'old' underground single level parking that can be seen from the north end ground floor. I have shopped twice at the new TOPS and think they have taken on the inventory of the typical Rachada Bangkok TOPS in Bangkok with the abundance of Japanese products and (I think) less Euro food than the old TOPS carried.

The first visit was about three weeks ago and apart from the dust, I thought the place was a potential fire trap as they hadn't completed some mall entrances from the higher floors so one used the 'emergency' stairs and they were full of building detritus and rubbish with all the fire doors wedged open with bits of conduit, etc.. The last two visits have shown improvements.

The parking itself is more than adequate, the parking attendants however are even less adequate than before and the weekends are to be avoided with all these pricks too lazy to drive to a higher level and double-parking all over the lower floors.

pompui
udonmap.com

Central Plaza Expansion

Post by pompui » May 24, 2012, 5:14 pm

The TW is under the impression there will be a motor show on June 1-7th,anybody seen advertising vans roaming about?

parrot
udonmap.com

Central Plaza Expansion

Post by parrot » May 24, 2012, 7:01 pm

http://www.udon108.com/board/index.php?topic=172416.0
A motor show is scheduled.....unfortunately, the link only announces that there will be a show. No specifics. I'll post if I find some details.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Central Plaza Expansion

Post by kopkei » May 25, 2012, 6:45 am

hi parrot ...
i think according to the link you have posted the show is from 1-7 july.... ;)

parrot
udonmap.com

Central Plaza Expansion

Post by parrot » May 25, 2012, 7:13 pm

According to the piece:
""อุดรธานี มอเตอร์ โชว์ 2012" ขึ้นในวันที่ 1-7 มิถุนายน 2555 ณ อุดรธานี ฮอลล์ ศูนย์การค้าเซ็นทรัลพลาซา อุดรธานี."
The Udon Motor Show 2012 will be held from 1-7 June 2555 at the Udon Central Plaza"

Don't blame me though if it's actually held in July.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Central Plaza Expansion

Post by kopkei » May 26, 2012, 6:53 am

hi parrot ,
indeed my mistake , :oops: mitoenajon = june, karakadakom is july, ( i did not read it myself , asked my wife , and i am not surprised she mixed up her translation and the months... :D )
so it is best you go take a look from 1 to 7 june next month... ;)

pompui
udonmap.com

Central Plaza Expansion

Post by pompui » May 31, 2012, 10:43 am

So the motor show is tomorrow,but will wait for the Thai masses to go see it over the weekend and the Monday,being a holiday,Tuesday or Wednesday should be nice and quiet [-o<

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”