Old Tesco store changing

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Old Tesco store changing

Post by stattointhailand » May 30, 2014, 12:55 pm

It was clearly obvious that when the old Tesco's got remodeled a few months ago, the number of items that they stocked went down alarmingly, but has anyone else noticed that they are continuing to decrease the choices available. I'm not sure if this is all part of a big plan to downsize, and thus force shoppers to use the New Tesco's near the airport, or if it is just that they have managed to take their inability to reorder/restock to a level way beyond even their past achievements.

I visited this morning with 30 items on my list (including several Tesco's own brand items, and all that have been purchased in that store within the last 12 months), and from the list I managed to buy 12.

EIGHTEEN out of 30 items were "out of stock" (60%)

pomps
udonmap.com

Old Tesco store changing

Post by pomps » May 30, 2014, 1:07 pm

Old Tesco is called Tesco Lotus Extra but sound like it should be called Tesco Lotus Less :shock:
The other Tesco is only Tesco Lotus so has even less products, thought these supermarkets have at least a customer service desk to enquire if it is just supply problems,new stock control manager just started in the job or downsizing :D
Did notice the discounted product shelving has disappeared :shock:

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Old Tesco store changing

Post by stattointhailand » May 30, 2014, 1:14 pm

No stock left to discount Pomps

trubrit
udonmap.com

Old Tesco store changing

Post by trubrit » May 30, 2014, 1:58 pm

It's possibly a destocking policy as I notice the one at Na Dee has rather less fresh foods in now , in fact the butchery display is almost non existent, only about a third of the size it used to be .Their clearance items are much fewer and only discounted by 24-30% now not half price any more .Whenever I go there are only a couple of tills open, so obviously not getting the customers through the door . :-"
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

parrot
udonmap.com

Old Tesco store changing

Post by parrot » May 30, 2014, 2:06 pm

trubrit wrote:Whenever I go there are only a couple of tills open, so obviously not getting the customers through the door . :-"
Tesco Nadee has never had many customers......nor did Carefour, nor does Big C Nadee. So it's quite possible that the stores are adjusting to the low customer base by cutting back on inventory (I don't know that that makes much sense....but in Thailand, it probably does). We pass by those stores several times a week and often remark about the low number of cars in the parking lot. Sooner or later, that low flow of customers is going to affect the bottom line of international stores like Tesco, Carrefour, Big C, and Starbucks. The stores in private ownership can probably carry on....if they have deep enough pockets.....like Nevada IT, and Platinum.
Whoever came up with the idea of a PTT station at Kilo 7 on the Udon-Nongwahsaw Hwy hit the jackpot. Tour buses and vehicle traffic galore to keep the pumps pumping and 7-11 very busy.

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Old Tesco store changing

Post by BigBubba » May 30, 2014, 2:14 pm

Shortage of stock attributable to the staff being equipped with roller blades (and all the applicable safety gear) and those very expensive Segway devices? :-k
Every day I wake up is a good day.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Old Tesco store changing

Post by stattointhailand » May 30, 2014, 2:25 pm

If they cut the stock much more, there will only be ONE type of Biscuit, ONE type of coffee, ONE type of Breakfast cerial etc etc ................ THEN, they will be able to issue the few remaining customers with one of them Safeway (sorry Segway) gadgets to do their shopping ....... They won't need to stop at all, as there will be nothing to compare each item with, just grab one as you chug past \:D/

trubrit
udonmap.com

Old Tesco store changing

Post by trubrit » May 30, 2014, 2:58 pm

parrot wrote:
trubrit wrote:Whenever I go there are only a couple of tills open, so obviously not getting the customers through the door . :-"
Tesco Nadee has never had many customers......nor did Carefour, nor does Big C Nadee. So it's quite possible that the stores are adjusting to the low customer base by cutting back on inventory (I don't know that that makes much sense....but in Thailand, it probably does). We pass by those stores several times a week and often remark about the low number of cars in the parking lot. Sooner or later, that low flow of customers is going to affect the bottom line of international stores like Tesco, Carrefour, Big C, and Starbucks. The stores in private ownership can probably carry on....if they have deep enough pockets.....like Nevada IT, and Platinum.
Whoever came up with the idea of a PTT station at Kilo 7 on the Udon-Nongwahsaw Hwy hit the jackpot. Tour buses and vehicle traffic galore to keep the pumps pumping and 7-11 very busy.
Strange that yet Ngee Soon,in the same road, no aircon, no support shops and a very basic shopping experience always has a queue with at least 10 tills open .Very rarely out of stock on anything . :-"
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Old Tesco store changing

Post by Khun Paul » May 30, 2014, 3:06 pm

A few years ago there was rumour that the old Tescos ( aka Nong Khai traffic lights) was closing, they then built the new one ( Nong bua road )and they were intending to use that as a service/storage centre for Issan ( which made sense.
The reason for lessening the stock I cannot for the life of me comprehend, but i think that when the rest of the ring road is completed, then just maybe getting to the big new one will be easier than the current Old Tescos, what with Big C and Nadee there it will easier for folks my side of town to go clockwise as opposed to current anti-clockwise way we go now. I also think they own the land of the new one but only rent the land at the current site.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Old Tesco store changing

Post by kopkei » May 30, 2014, 3:33 pm

maybe we can come back to the comment i have made long time ago , that they are overbuilding in udon,and renting prices going up like crazy resulting in many shops empty , also the ridiculous overpriced lands and homes , and so many offers to choose off, is the bubble finally bursting and the first cracks become visible ?, maybe it's time ...so everyone can be back with his 2 feet on the floor....
and prices will become more realistic than.... ;)

Jing Jing
udonmap.com

Old Tesco store changing

Post by Jing Jing » May 30, 2014, 8:39 pm

There are three Tesco stores and several minimarts. Maybe they have over built. The UD branch now has more Tesco brand products. The vegetable department often has items disconted - a little past their prime. I think many Thais use Macro and Big C on Nitayo Rd.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Old Tesco store changing

Post by fdimike » May 30, 2014, 8:47 pm

For what it's worth Tesco Lotus just opened a huge new distribution center in Khon Kaen. The new center is supposed to supply all their stores in the NE. Maybe they are having some difficulty with the new operation which is supposed to be "state of the art" according to the story in the Bangkok Post about 2 weeks ago.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Old Tesco store changing

Post by merchant seaman » May 31, 2014, 7:40 am

Tesco's out in Na-Dee is usually very busy on weekends and evenings. Don't let the parking lot visible from the highway fool you. Most Thai's park in the covered parking behind the building.
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

pomps
udonmap.com

Old Tesco store changing

Post by pomps » May 31, 2014, 2:04 pm

Fair dinkum MS,the hiding pickups round the back. Big C cannot do the same,lack of customers at the old carrefour meant the Siam commercial bank branch in there closed and transfered all account to the new Tesco.
Old Tesco this morning still had some supply issues although did not see the Segways in operation :-k will check out ebay or lazada later for second hand ones for sale 8)

Zidane
udonmap.com

Old Tesco store changing

Post by Zidane » May 31, 2014, 3:12 pm

No,one of the lady supervisors was whizzing around on a segway when I popped in around 11.30 this morning,so not all out of action or commandeered for use at army checkpoints !
Looks like they are starting a World Cup theme with a bit of music and dancing.About half a dozen employees were wearing the Brazil strip today and doing a song and dance routine......sadly,it was all male employees ! :(

But although the 50% discount counter has gone I noticed "American Style" long thin chips (750g) priced at 99 baht,
"buy 1 get 1 free" plus....
Fruit Tree fresh Orange (1000ml) Hi-Fiber 100% from Netherland (so it says =; ) reduced from 75 baht to 37 baht.

Every little helps.... ;)
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

pomps
udonmap.com

Old Tesco store changing

Post by pomps » May 31, 2014, 3:51 pm

Zidane wrote:Fruit Tree fresh Orange (1000ml) Hi-Fiber 100% from Netherland (so it says =; ) reduced from 75 baht to 37 baht.

Every little helps.... ;)
Sounds wonderful :shock: 100% from Netherland but maybe only 1% juice :^o Was advised at checkout that at the bottom of the bill also includes discount for my next shopping trip but need to use it up by end of tomorrow :shock: So shall hunt down the offending fiber shelving sunday 8)

pomps
udonmap.com

Old Tesco store changing

Post by pomps » June 1, 2014, 8:46 am

Thanks Zid,finally found the juice :D
01062014303.jpg

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Old Tesco store changing

Post by stattointhailand » June 4, 2014, 3:45 pm

Interesting to see that Tesco results for the last 13 wk period show a drop in sales of 3.7%. [-X

Perhaps if they put items on the shelves their sales would increase :-"

Jing Jing
udonmap.com

Old Tesco store changing

Post by Jing Jing » June 4, 2014, 3:53 pm

I didn't know orange trees grew in the Netherlands. I guess that is why he was called William of Orange.

I love products that say no sugar. It has fructose which is a sugar. Unless they have been able to grow oranges without it.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Old Tesco store changing

Post by Prenders88 » June 4, 2014, 3:58 pm

The old horse meat scandal might have something to do with a drop in sales. More cash strapped Brits turning to the German discounters Lidl and Aldi, their prices knock Tesco for six.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”