Makro Shopping

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
RLTrader
udonmap.com

Makro Shopping

Post by RLTrader » January 6, 2020, 7:25 pm

Went to Makro today,
bad news the only eatable peas, no seemed to have any more, will guess they bought only one case, and I bought at least half :cry:

In other news they have a alcohol display in the front on the left facing out. Never seen before by me. Prices suck, but that's from one item.

Have Lao dark in a can (never seen before) (65฿), but not in a bottle. Almost bought one, but prefer glass.

and after a long look, they still had the only reason I go, Pineapple Pies, sometimes something is staring you in the eyes, and for some reason you just can't see it. :D

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Re: Makro Shopping

Post by Doodoo » January 6, 2020, 8:32 pm

Although not being to one for years I would love to see Makro take on a more Costco image

Last time I remember was in the 1980's and we ended spending over $800 a big big savings back then(No plastic bags either)
It was the type of store that should have had the moto "If you cant find it we don't have it" My children at the time all 4 of them could get lunch for under $4 the cheap Bast--d I was and still am
To this day I still love BULK buying

When I first had the wife into Makro I asked if she had been and she said "No they could not afford it" They, then were the typical Thai Family that would go and buy a bag of oil and not the 1 or 2 liters we buy nowadays

Anyway Love Makro

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » January 7, 2020, 6:11 am

The only problem I have with shopping at Makro is the stock management, it seems to be hit or miss, they run out and it appears their stock control is run by some numpty in their Head Office using a system they beggars belief. For example I purchase Pepsi Max, an item they have, but only if it has been delivered. Often they have no stock and when you ask why, they say not sell enough so stock renewal is slow. This is odd, as when they do have it, it flies off the shelves like there is no tomorrow .

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 7, 2020, 1:39 pm

A wee off topic, but today I was in Tops, thinking 'what a wonderful store Tops is', a bit of everything. Over Christmas holidays we bought a container of Korean strawberries for a few hundred baht.....wouldn't have normally bought them, but for the holidays.........they were the hit of Christmas day for our friends. A few kinds of Korean kimchee, japanese ramen noodles, salmon trout from the other side of the world, several types of Italian deli meats, lots of cheese, and an excellent selection of fresh meats. And then, on my way out the 'door' I came upon this shelf:

And that made me think of Udon Grocery Store, long since closed, but back when, it was the ONLY store in Udon that sold deli ham.......you had to buy it in 1 kg frozen blocks. Not in Tops, not in Makro, not in Big C, not in Lotus (wasn't even here then), nor Villa (just a distant dream).
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » January 7, 2020, 2:45 pm

IMHO - Makro serves a purpose for our once a month bulk shopping but when it comes to beer prices etc. no one beats the 'Mom and Pop' store I use here in Ban Dung (with no BS trading hours), that includes BigC and Tesco.

What does give me the whoops is stock replacement where they close entire isles. Why not do that after hours? AND out of control queues at the poorly staffed check outs.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » January 7, 2020, 3:43 pm

When I have to battle with a "Queue" I quickly remind myself that I am RETIRED and it is then, a pleasure to stand in the queue. I then remind myself what else I have to do for the day and that is, NOTHING, this is what you worked all those years for!!

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 7, 2020, 5:06 pm

Doodoo wrote:
January 7, 2020, 3:43 pm
When I have to battle with a "Queue" I quickly remind myself that I am RETIRED and it is then, a pleasure to stand in the queue. I then remind myself what else I have to do for the day and that is, NOTHING, this is what you worked all those years for!!
Nicely said, though if you go within the first couple of hours of opening then I’ve never had to wait more than a few minutes.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » January 7, 2020, 5:26 pm

"Nicely said, though if you go within the first couple of hours of opening then I’ve never had to wait more than a few minutes."

Great advice so you can get home and do "NOTHING" for the rest of the day!!!!

Ah Retirement

joudon
udonmap.com

Post by joudon » January 7, 2020, 7:14 pm

5555555 Good posts. Nothing to do , and all day to do it.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » January 7, 2020, 7:45 pm

05:30hr Up and feed dogs
Do Nothing
06:15hr Get daughter up for school
Do nothing
07:00hr Daughter to school
07:45hr Back from School

Night Time
Contemplate on what was done today, Nothing

Get ready for the next Day and a lot of Nothing

Retirement is a Success a time to do absolutely Nothing
BUT damn I am busy

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » January 7, 2020, 7:52 pm

Doodoo wrote:05:30hr Up and feed dogs
Do Nothing
06:15hr Get daughter up for school
Do nothing
07:00hr Daughter to school
07:45hr Back from School

Night Time
Contemplate on what was done today, Nothing

Get ready for the next Day and a lot of Nothing

Retirement is a Success a time to do absolutely Nothing
BUT damn I am busy
Mmm similar boat that I’m in and I assume many others. Sometimes a feel I only have one oar.
Except my dogs don’t get fed till evening.
Have my fruit trees to tend and water after the frantic school bike run into high school hell street.
Perhaps Doodoo we should meet and talk about everyone else who ply’s the same road of going no where and all day to get there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » January 7, 2020, 8:02 pm

Apologies I have wondered off subject of Makro Shopping

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » March 11, 2020, 5:00 pm

Was at the establishment today and while the Wife was in Meat Section I was pleasantly surprised to notice that 100% of the people selecting meat had a protective plastic bag on their hand.( Now we may see quite an influx of Plastic Bag Useage and will deal with that at a later date)

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » March 11, 2020, 7:09 pm

Quite like the free hand sanitiser as you can rub down the push bar on the trolley's as well. They must be the breeding ground for untold numbers of bacteria given some of the unsanitary practices previously at the meat and fish depts.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”