Papa Farang's

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
Old Father Time
udonmap.com

Re: Papa Farang's

Post by Old Father Time » September 4, 2020, 11:24 am

Of my recent bulk purchases: my favourites are the small pork pies, and the, pepper less, Cornish pasties. Regarding the latter, my thanks to Dean for making me a special batch. Cannot give an opinion on the six custard tarts, since they had all disappeared within two days, nor on the stock of 6 cheesecake now mysteriously reduced to one. :-k
.An unexpected bonus of my visit was to meet up with 'Bikie' Mike, and' schoolteacher'r Martin, each of whom I had not seen for well over a decade. A very pleasant hour was spent chatting with them.
Incidentally, for those who know him, Mick, former long time owner of the Lucky Bar, went into Bangkok Hospital, a few days ago, to undergo some minor surgery.
Pehaps he should now consider buying a tuk tuk instead of using that mean machine he loves so much :-"

Since it appears every expat in Udon has partaken of your Sunday Roast, and continue to recommend it, my wife and I have decided to give it a try this Sunday; arriving promptly at noon, to avoid the rush. I have this unworthy suspicion my wife's quick agreement just might be that it provides the opportunity to replenish our stock of Custard Tarts and cheesecakes. ;) :lol:
My apologies, in advance, should I appear to ignore 'old codgers'with whom I have been acquainted in the past. It's simply my senile old brain does not function, as of yore. I would welcome you saying hello, should you feel inclined.
I will be the old man, probably siting in the corner, with the walking stick and beautiful wife of 24 years :D :D

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 4, 2020, 11:52 am

Shame gonna miss this weeks PFs sunday lunch gig as im away .... twood ov been nice to catch up.with you n ever youthful missus Den .

The custard tarts are for me a blast from.the past as a speciality of my dear old mother GRHS .. i bought some to bring to buritam.but they never made it to udon ring road after leaving Deans .

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 4, 2020, 1:16 pm

Btw Dean ..those microwavable foil.containers are blooming brilliant dont half save a lot of washing up .. who ever invented them should be knighted .. gitta be an Englishman .

Dm

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » September 4, 2020, 1:27 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
September 4, 2020, 1:16 pm
Btw Dean ..those microwavable foil.containers are blooming brilliant dont half save a lot of washing up .. who ever invented them should be knighted .. gitta be an Englishman .

Dm
Yes I couldn't get my head around foil in the microwave either but they work fine .
OFT the rush is always 12 noon but slows for about 1 pm
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » September 4, 2020, 1:35 pm

As the foil stops the microwaves from pentrating it heats the food down so deep containers won't work.

Gutted will miss my Roast dinner this weekend due to work commitments . Would request takeaway option but no container big enough lol

OFT you will enjoy it and will end up being a regular occurrence but if you like mustard better to bring your own

Old Father Time
udonmap.com

Post by Old Father Time » September 4, 2020, 6:52 pm

Thanks Dean, we will be guided by your advice, and arrive around 1pm. But please bear in mind, as you already know, I am physically unable to eat, either standing or sitting on the floor. :cry:
Disappointed you will not around to pay four lunch John. \:D/
Thanks for the advice dunroaming but, fortunately I am one of those peasants who dislikes it intensely ; but I do hope you lot will not gobble up all the mint sauce, an essential for the lamb I intend ordering. [-X
See you.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 4, 2020, 7:03 pm

Yes i am.also dissaponted not to be there to pay fir your lunch mate ... bad timing or sheer luck ..no doubt u will catch me another sunday unless i see you coming first .

Theres an idea Dean ..add lamb to.the sunday meat choice n any leftovers lamb n mint sauce baguettes .. OMG .

Just had the sweet n sour chicken followed by blackcurrant crumble with custard .. superb ..now gotta go ply with myself ..sorry i mean check.my walnut .

Disclaimer .. few tots n changs today ..watching the gardeners is very stressful

Dm

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » September 4, 2020, 8:57 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
September 4, 2020, 7:03 pm
Yes i am.also dissaponted not to be there to pay fir your lunch mate ... bad timing or sheer luck ..no doubt u will catch me another sunday unless i see you coming first .

Theres an idea Dean ..add lamb to.the sunday meat choice n any leftovers lamb n mint sauce baguettes .. OMG .

Just had the sweet n sour chicken followed by blackcurrant crumble with custard .. superb ..now gotta go ply with myself ..sorry i mean check.my walnut .

Disclaimer .. few tots n changs today ..watching the gardeners is very stressful

Dm
DM don't be disappointed in sure Dean can organise credit for you

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » September 4, 2020, 10:29 pm

Sadly lamb is not possible , various reasons .first of all I don't eat lamb myself second a leg feeds about 8 people so the price of a portion is somewhere around100-120 b per person. That's just the meat , then after all the veg ,Yorkshire plus having mint sauce plus having 2 types of gravy available simply gives no profit for 200b . I could put a premium price on a lamb meal to make up for it but that then goes against the idea of being able to supply a reasonable priced Sunday lunch. They way others do it is buy putting the price of pork, chicken and beef lunches up to subsidise the lamb. We have a business plan that works well so we will stick with it. Our idea is we are cooking for friends and good regular customers who shop with us. We make more money on selling one Chang beer than on any lunch. Come to think of it there's more profit in selling a 2 pack of custard tarts than a cheap lamb lunch :lol:
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » September 4, 2020, 11:19 pm

papafarang wrote:
September 4, 2020, 10:29 pm
Sadly lamb is not possible , various reasons .first of all I don't eat lamb myself second a leg feeds about 8 people so the price of a portion is somewhere around100-120 b per person. That's just the meat , then after all the veg ,Yorkshire plus having mint sauce plus having 2 types of gravy available simply gives no profit for 200b . I could put a premium price on a lamb meal to make up for it but that then goes against the idea of being able to supply a reasonable priced Sunday lunch. They way others do it is buy putting the price of pork, chicken and beef lunches up to subsidise the lamb. We have a business plan that works well so we will stick with it. Our idea is we are cooking for friends and good regular customers who shop with us. We make more money on selling one Chang beer than on any lunch. Come to think of it there's more profit in selling a 2 pack of custard tarts than a cheap lamb lunch :lol:
Keep the business model you are promoting as it's works well for u and us as customers or friends and you provide a great service to boot. Can't fault any part of your much needed service. Dean you will never please 100% of customers expectations but the 95% u do please are the ones that matter

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 5, 2020, 5:47 am

dunroaming wrote:
September 4, 2020, 1:35 pm
As the foil stops the microwaves from pentrating it heats the food down so deep containers won't work.

Gutted will miss my Roast dinner this weekend due to work commitments . Would request takeaway option but no container big enough lol

OFT you will enjoy it and will end up being a regular occurrence but if you like mustard better to bring your own
Hey youse! Whaur's ma rowie?! Youse promist. Ah wis gauntae bring ma ain butter n'aw.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 5, 2020, 5:50 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
September 4, 2020, 7:03 pm

Dm
Dinnae furget tae clean yet nails efter the walnut check ok pal?

Tastes like nonsense if ye dinnae.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 5, 2020, 7:40 am

papafarang wrote:
Dean all.good points and noted .. agree with DR dont mend it if its not broken as my old gran used to say what you offer is excellent quality n value .... and if one fancies lamb there are 3 or 4 other places to.get it within the greater metroplis of Udon ..

Sadly will.miss the PF sunday shindig this week...

Oh Btw please stop.mentioning custard tarts .

Dm

Old Father Time
udonmap.com

Post by Old Father Time » September 5, 2020, 9:31 am

papafarang wrote:
Sadly lamb is not possible. ........We have a business plan that works well so we will stick with it. Our idea is we are cooking for friends and good regular customers who shop with us. We make more money on selling one Chang beer than on any lunch. Come to think of it there's more profit in selling a 2 pack of custard tarts than a cheap lamb lunch :lol:
Thanks Dean. I totally agree with your comments. See you Sunday

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » September 5, 2020, 10:15 am

PF, I endorse the last two posters, over the years you have maintained an objective which takes care of customers by providing with good wholesome and taste bud titilating foods and eats that make ones mouth water with anticipation.

Obviously costs and a need to make a sustainable profit when looking after your large customer base are paramount. Sure we all like choices but as you say some are just not cost effective and to be fair as DM states quite categorically, other choices are available elsewhere.

PF (Dean ) you just carry on what you do best, as we the vast majority of your customers I am sure applaud your abilities and in some cases creativity to fulfill our culinary desires with appetising morsels of excellence.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » September 6, 2020, 11:15 am

Sunday lunch ready in 50 minutes ,fresh cheesecakes made ,a batch of custard tarts and some small apple pies. Wife will soon start baking fresh baguettes .

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » September 6, 2020, 11:25 am

This long weekend has screwed me up. I thought it was Sunday yesterday :shock:
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » September 6, 2020, 1:51 pm

Niggly wrote:
September 6, 2020, 11:25 am
This long weekend has screwed me up. I thought it was Sunday yesterday :shock:
Sunday is beer day .I don't forget that

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 6, 2020, 2:32 pm

And CUSTARD TART DAY ..

Hope none of the customers choke on those cussy tarts ..

Dm.bannork.this weekend just had freshly trapped earth worm ..bbqed n served on a bed of twigs n leaves ..washed down with milk.from.one of my bulls. .. for pudding i shall spoil.myself with a homemade frog spawn yoghurt and a banana that fell.off next doirs tree n over my wall .. a few ants beat me too it but will.still.be a nice rural treat .

All.you guys enjoy the roast ok ..

DM

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » September 6, 2020, 6:15 pm

Good Sunday again. Totally knackered. Thought I'd enjoy a couple of beers with the boys .alas one beer. ,lunch and 3 custard tarts and I was done. These 4 am starts are a bit much.
In other news .my new kebab machine is great ,tried it out yesterday and pigged out trying a couple of different recipes . the Lebanese garlic sauce is awesome, the spice mix was good but I think I can make it better. Tried a flat bread wrap ,baguette and in a burger bun. All good but I want to try a couple of others. Turkish Pida bread looks good. So anyway give it a couple of weeks and I should get to what I want. I need a supply of feta cheese and chick peas. Looking to make another buffet style day once the recipes all come together . DM do you still have your belly dancers outfit ,does it still fit you ?

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”