CVT fluid change

Have a question or comment about Shopping in Udon Thani? Post it here!
newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

CVT fluid change

Post by newtovillagelife » August 20, 2020, 6:54 am

I have a Nissan Almera that is due for a CVT fluid change, has anyone had this done before?? Wondering if I have to go to the dealership or if a local mechanic can do the job. Does anyone know approx. cost of this.....thanks.

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: CVT fluid change

Post by tamada » August 20, 2020, 7:01 am

If the car is out if warranty, it would be cheaper to get this done at your local Somchai.

Plenty YouTube's on how to DIY too.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » August 20, 2020, 8:31 am

DIY ? What's that ? As tam said Mr somchai at the local fix anything , modern cars are hard for the old guys but CVT oil change is well within their skill set. Best go and buy the oil yourself and take it too him . As soon as he see's the bottle he'll know what you want doing
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » August 20, 2020, 9:19 am

why is everyone shy of going to the dealer to fix minor items , if you stop with nissan ,they will tell you what it costs to do this before the fix ,and i am sure oil change on a gear box will not break your wallet , and it will be done swift
with more extensive fixes like fe clutch change it is possible it will be cheaper at the local somchai , anyway i have just changed tires and bought them at the road 22 to sakhon , coming from bigc by fly over ,first u turn and big and small maxxis shop next to each other(same shop) , they fix everything but engine problems , paid 5000 baht for 4 tires 185/65/14 maxxis , all centered and aligned by alignment computer system...as info ;)
or enjoy diy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8alSgbE6mM sorry no english but comprehensible.. ;)

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » August 20, 2020, 8:31 pm

One thing to remember is that the dealer will give you a guarantee. If your vehicle is worth fixing best get it done properly and have piece of mind rather than some cowboy outfit whom l call" Kerbside Motors".

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » August 21, 2020, 5:22 am

Here in U. S. daughter had to go to dealer to have her CVT fluid changed. Reason is there was no drain plug to remove old fluid and not easy place accessable to add new fluid. Required a special pump to remove fluid and add new fluid. Also require a specific fluid which might only be available at dealer. Told by Dealer that fluid change every 48,000 kilometers city driving or 96,000 kilometers highway use. Vehicle 2016 Nissan Sentra.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 21, 2020, 8:08 am

Happy with Ford's 150,000 transmission oil change schedule.

Baht Man
udonmap.com

Post by Baht Man » December 10, 2020, 7:06 pm

kopkei wrote:
August 20, 2020, 9:19 am
why is everyone shy of going to the dealer to fix minor items , if you stop with nissan ,they will tell you what it costs to do this before the fix ,and i am sure oil change on a gear box will not break your wallet , and it will be done swift
with more extensive fixes like fe clutch change it is possible it will be cheaper at the local somchai , anyway i have just changed tires and bought them at the road 22 to sakhon , coming from bigc by fly over ,first u turn and big and small maxxis shop next to each other(same shop) , they fix everything but engine problems , paid 5000 baht for 4 tires 185/65/14 maxxis , all centered and aligned by alignment computer system...as info ;)
or enjoy diy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8alSgbE6mM sorry no english but comprehensible.. ;)
All my work is done at the same place. I've compared his prices and they're hard to beat. The guy I deal with speaks perfect english as well. I'll go nowhere else.
Yea, he may try to upsell occassionally (leaky shock) but always has my best interest in mind.
The more hair I loose, the more head I get.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 11, 2020, 6:40 am

I think part of the problem with so-called dealers here is, there are two for example Mitsubishi dealers, one is part of the Mitsubishi Makers dealer network and one is an company that has a franchise. The difference is the mechanics/fitters trained at the first one by Mitsubishi and the other is a mechanic/fitter that is trained almost anywhere.
Over the years a sonchai garage could have possible fixed almost anything, but I use a Mitsubishi dealer ( not a franchise)
even the parts renewed come from Mitsubishi , some even sourced from Japan.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 11, 2020, 8:45 am

^ Well what do you expect when you buy a marque that's contributed bugger all to the free world since the A6M.

Banzai!.. Banzai!.. Banzai!

PS: I have a hard-on for Fokkers myself.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » December 11, 2020, 9:09 am

Khun Paul wrote:
December 11, 2020, 6:40 am
I think part of the problem with so-called dealers here is, there are two for example Mitsubishi dealers, one is part of the Mitsubishi Makers dealer network and one is an company that has a franchise.
I think you’ll find that’s how it operates in just about every country in the world, main dealers & franchises. It’s not specific to Thailand
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 11, 2020, 9:22 am

Niggly wrote:
December 11, 2020, 9:09 am
Khun Paul wrote:
December 11, 2020, 6:40 am
I think part of the problem with so-called dealers here is, there are two for example Mitsubishi dealers, one is part of the Mitsubishi Makers dealer network and one is an company that has a franchise.
I think you’ll find that’s how it operates in just about every country in the world, main dealers & franchises. It’s not specific to Thailand
I never said it was, but after a franchise incorrectly fitted a header pipe to my radiator, I learnt that the so-called mechanic had worked previously on Hyundai , so researched and now find a registered with Mitsubishi Dealer whose work is excellent.

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » December 11, 2020, 9:37 am

Take it to the dealer and check, Mazda do not change automatic transmission fluid, it last for life, I asked the question there two weeks ago on our Mazda at 150 thousand k's.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » December 11, 2020, 10:47 am

The problem with most dealers and garages for that matter, do not repair anything. They are part changers and will change parts with new parts until the problem goes away.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » December 11, 2020, 11:14 am

Some time back, the thermostat in my old beater Toyota stuck. I took it to a garage just south of Jomtien. All they had to do was disconnect the radiator hose, take out two bolts and remove the thermostat. They came into the waiting area and told me that my radiator was no good. I told them the radiator was fine and they told me that they couldn't guarantee the repair with the clogged radiator. I told them to replace the thermostat and not to worry about the radiator. I went back to the waiting room. They had to go to the Toyota dealer for parts after they had told me they had the parts. Two hours later, they finished the job. They had replaced the radiator hose which was OK with me but they not only replaced the thermostat, they replaced the housing that attached to the engine block as well and the housing cover itself. My bill was 5,600 baht. I should have watched over their shoulder to see what the were doing. They were too lazy to clean the original parts. I paid the bill and told them I would not be back.

pf-flyer
udonmap.com

Post by pf-flyer » December 13, 2020, 12:03 pm

We had the CVT Fluid changed on our Honda City about a year ago at B-Quick on ring road right next to Home Pro. I do not remember the cost but it has always been cheaper to go to B-Quick than the Honda dealer. The Honda dealer always found ways to pad the bill and we would be there most of the day waiting for the work to be done. Our last straw with the Honda Dealer was when they told us the we needed new tires when there was lots of tread left on our Bridgestone tires. We stopped at the Bridgestone store on the way home where we bought the tires and asked them to inspect our tires and they said that there was nothing wrong with the tires and the tires had plenty of tread left on them.
"Life is like a tube of toothpaste. Outward pressure brings out the inward contents."

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » December 13, 2020, 12:43 pm

So I ended up getting my CVT change at the NISSAN dealership and I am happy with the work and service. My CVT has no dipstick so the amount that comes out must be replaced, my service person said I need about 4L. Now if I had taken it elsewhere they may have put extra or less or maybe the right amount, but it is kinda important. I only bring this up because I went to get my oil change at Cockpit, and they handed me back what little was left in the 4L bottle. I checked my oil and noticed that is was at the max, then looked up the specs on my vehicle to find that is holds 3L of oil. So my oil was overfilled also not good. After 10000km I decided to get my oil change at Nissan was surprised at the price 200 baht cheaper, and they handed me back an empty 3L container. So a cheaper mechanic is not always a better deal.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 13, 2020, 1:56 pm

pf-flyer wrote:
December 13, 2020, 12:03 pm
Our last straw with the Honda Dealer was when they told us the we needed new tires when there was lots of tread left on our Bridgestone tires. We stopped at the Bridgestone store on the way home where we bought the tires and asked them to inspect our tires and they said that there was nothing wrong with the tires and the tires had plenty of tread left on them.
How old were the tyres?

There is a recommended shelf life, which is independent of the tread wear.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » December 13, 2020, 2:54 pm

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cultur ... acture.%22

Jack
The tires he is talking about are not on a shelf (shelf life ) but are on a car

jeebeeg
udonmap.com

Post by jeebeeg » December 13, 2020, 3:01 pm

the life time of a tire is limited, undependent from use on the road.

Return to “Udon Thani Shopping”