Car window tinting: Good shop in Udon?

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
tamada
udonmap.com

Car window tinting: Good shop in Udon?

Post by tamada » October 8, 2008, 7:42 pm

I am getting a new set of wheels next week and seeking a recommendation for after-market window tinting. Anyone have any recommendations for quality work in Udon? The last car I bought in Chonburi years ago and the dealer did it as part of the prep before handover and although a decent job, it was a bit paeng compared to getting it done professionally, off the lot by myself.

Many thanks!

docta
Udonmap Sponsor

Re: Car window tinting: Good shop in Udon?

Post by docta » October 8, 2008, 9:12 pm

Hi Tamada
I can recommend a Thai man who's been in business for years in Udon.
Nicest most honest guy you'd ever want to meet, seems to know most everyone around town, known him for 6 years, does many car/truck things.
Service Manager Mitsubishi dealership for ten years some time ago.
His new shop is just up from the ford dealership now.
His name; Somchai - Mobi 081 974 0544
Cool guy, you should give him a call, he speaks a bit of English.
R/Doc

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » October 8, 2008, 10:25 pm

The guys at the shop behind the new disco across from Charonsri Compled did a pretty good job on our car a couple of years ago. It cost about 3,000 baht in all.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 8, 2008, 10:49 pm

^ Are they still there? I thought that was all flattened along with farang alley a few months back.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » October 9, 2008, 6:25 am

tamada wrote:^ Are they still there? I thought that was all flattened along with farang alley a few months back.
Yes still there, directly behind D2. They also do video/audio, in fact we purchased/installed a had a video monitor for our car from there.

docta
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by docta » October 9, 2008, 8:20 am

Hey papa-gogo, & tamada...
The only thing behind the D2 now, is air...They flattened Somchai's place, and his new place is as mentioned, North of the ford dealership about a block on right hand side. Has some big LPG gas signs hanging in front of his three big roll up doors.

Other than that, yeah, Somchai is a right on kind of guy, you'll like him...

bugseda
udonmap.com

Post by bugseda » October 9, 2008, 12:56 pm

I used a place about a year ago that I was pleased with. No problems at all. I can't remember the figure but it was around 5k for the pick-up. I am sure the price as gone up like everything else.

I have no idea what street it is on, however if you are traveling away from the complex toward the bus station, you come to the turn-a-about. Take the second left as you go around and about 500 meters on your right you will see the fairly large shop, plate glass windows and a the large "bay" area where the work is performed. It is a stereo/ tint / bumper type shop.

I forget the name of the shop.

Maybe someone can provide the street name, all I know is the street/soi starts with the letter S.

About six or seven types of tint and dozens of stereos and speaker systems available.

And I agree, Somchai is a decent guy to deal with but not sure how many types of tint he has available.

Good Luck

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » October 9, 2008, 2:45 pm

That might be KingKong, if not its near there, so check with them, their demo of the different grades, sold me over three years ago, and its still fine. :D

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » October 9, 2008, 8:15 pm

docta wrote:Hey papa-gogo, & tamada...
The only thing behind the D2 now, is air...They flattened Somchai's place, and his new place is as mentioned, North of the ford dealership about a block on right hand side. Has some big LPG gas signs hanging in front of his three big roll up doors.

Other than that, yeah, Somchai is a right on kind of guy, you'll like him...
Damn, didn't noticed that, anyhow I thought we got a good deal. Definitely go back.

docta
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by docta » October 9, 2008, 9:01 pm

Yeah, I feel sorry for my friend Somchai. His business was heading for the rocks as were most small businesses in Udon. Then they tell him to get out in a month. He tries to get on the LPG train to increase income as many others did, then once he's invested and set up, Bangkok supplier tells him most all the gas parts are on backorder. He has years worth of inventory, car audio, car repair, window tinting stuff, welders, hoists, etc, etc...
Now he's had to find a place at near double his old rent, and now sitting in there trying to hang on by the skin of his teeth worrying if he'll make it at all supporting wife and two kids.

So, if any of you guys would like to throw a little business his way I'm sure he'd be most appreciative and will take very good care of you.

He's a wonderful and honest guy, and is certainly deserving of a little help getting back on his feet.

Thanks,
Doc

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 13, 2008, 4:00 pm

Alright docta & papa, Somchai it will be.

Where's this Ford dealership? Any chance of an Udonmap map reference? I may send the wife over to get 'er done and save me having to bugger about with it when I get back from Vietnam.

Cheers,

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » October 13, 2008, 5:07 pm

I believe car windscreen tinting is done by using a thin film applied to the windows. Does anyone know can you do the same to your house windows to cut down the sun/heat?

If so, maybe you could post a reply on the following thread, so that I don't take this one off topic!! :D

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/p ... ml#p126820

Thanks

docta
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by docta » October 13, 2008, 7:11 pm

Hi Tamada,

Finding Somchai's New place.

Go to udon map home page, on top click, Maps, click udon thani, scroll down to; City...Large...FREE CLICK HERE.

Udon Map appears, click once to enlarge. Look at middle circle, there's a white colored road that takes off to the N/NE, only white road off this middle circle. Close to the corner left hand side on white road, is Ford, further down the road a little bit you see 22,6. Right after the six and as the Decors Choice sign hits the road...That's Somchai's place on the Right. Three large doors with LPG Gas signs a hanging'. If you go to the far side of the Decors Choice sign there's a 4 or 5 door paint selling shop on the right, you've gone too far, back up about 60 feet.
Somchai stays up late with his shop, and doesn't rise until about Noon on many days, sometimes more early, but the shop opens about 8:00am.
Somchai's mobi.... 081 974 0544

Good luck and thanks, Tamada...

bigwavedave
udonmap.com

Post by bigwavedave » October 17, 2008, 6:45 pm

Hi Doc
Just to let anyone know whos interested in his prices... I went to see Somchai today and for a "vios" its 3800 baht to have the windows tinted and hes got a special offer on for LPG conversion with an independant engineer inspection for only 24900 baht!!!

So ive given him the business (30,000) approx and we will see how it goes on monday!!!!!

I also explained that i heard about his services from a guy called doc.. he seemed to be pleased!!!

Peterplay
udonmap.com

Post by Peterplay » October 20, 2008, 9:30 pm

This is not really an answer to your question, but after having to drive in the rain at night I just wonder, why the hell does anybody want tainted windows :-k .
Yes, they are good when the sun shines, but that is really the only advantage I find.

Other drivers can't see you, driving in the dark is a nightmare, indeed especially when it rains :yikes: .

At least for me and I still have good eyes.

Why do I feel so different about this tainting ? :confused:

Roy
udonmap.com
Location: Outside LA's hoping to get a glimpse of his naked maid

Post by Roy » October 20, 2008, 9:43 pm

I don't really understand your post Peter, on the front windscreen you only have a sun visor. I am sure it would be illegal here the same as anywhere else to have the full windscreen done and I don't know about you but I don't spend a great deal of time looking out the sides or back.
Maybe I ate a lot of carrots as a kid, I prefer driving at night, rain or not :lol:
Free the Doug 1

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » October 20, 2008, 9:51 pm

Peterplay, the topic is tinted windows. I don't think anyone would want tainted windows or anything else that was tainted. :D

When I bought a new car in Thailand, they (rightly) insisted that I could not have tinted front windscreen only the side windows.

I remember once hiring a car with a strong tint on the side windows. At night when I came to a junction, I had to wind the windows down to be able to see for sure that nothing was coming. :?

Peterplay
udonmap.com

Post by Peterplay » October 21, 2008, 8:39 am

I of course I mean tinted windows, it was late.. :oops:

When I was driving through the rain in the dark yesterday, I sometimes had to do exactly what you described Arjay : open de windows when cornering to see where I was going. And I still eat carrots a lot.

At that moment the question came up, why would you impair your vision with a sheet that takes light away?

Anyway, most people don't seem to have a problem with it, so what am I blabbering about. And my own car has clear vision, unlike the one I am driving now.

I just was wondering why I seem the only one that has this problem :-k .

Drive happy in the dark. :-"

bugseda
udonmap.com

Post by bugseda » October 22, 2008, 12:32 pm

I found it today !!!!

I admit I am not the brightest light bulb on the Christmas tree, but the only FORD dealer I knew about was the one outside the city a few clicks out of town on your way to KK. I have been driving that road to KK a few times in the last week looking for Somchai's place (next to the FORD dealer) without success.

Duh !! There are two FORD dealers in Udon.

I revisited Udon map and read Doc's directions again and found the place. =D>

I had some electrical work done on the old piece of farm equipment I own and the staff was pleasant as usual and the prices were fair in my opinion.

I don't mind paying a little more if the work is done properly and with Somchai's experience in automobiles & trucks overlooking his staff, I felt that the work was done properly.

Not sure what his experience is with brand new cars & trucks but if you have an older model that needs things repaired or replaced like Stereos/tint/lights/electrical/exhaust etc.etc, Somchai is the man to see.

I forget to ask if this shop does oil changes. Does anyone know?

And no I have no financial interest in the place.... I wish I did.

docta
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by docta » October 22, 2008, 1:10 pm

Hey, Bugs, nice meeting you at Somchai's today, and thanks for the nice post.
Hope to see you again somewhere soon...

My best,
Doc

Return to “Travel & Transport”