buying a tuk tuk .

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Re: buying a tuk tuk .

Post by KHONDAHM » December 9, 2009, 7:41 pm

polehawk wrote:Maybe nowadays but back then everyone called them samlors. And I learned the English translation a long time ago but thanks anyway, Khun Khondahm. :D
I agree with you 100% - just clarifying for anyone reading the thread who might not be as familiar. ;)

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » December 9, 2009, 8:12 pm

The pedal variety is actually a "rickshaw" because it is human-powered.
I thought that was the name of the bloke what invented it first and who had a desire to run around a hot Asian city pulling people that where higher up the ladder to and from functions or shopping trips for a small amount of coinage in return ...or was it Lick Shaw....Image

ting_tong
udonmap.com

Post by ting_tong » December 12, 2009, 9:06 pm

lots of negative tuktuk comments?
my tuktuk would tear your pickup truck or car a new @$$h0le! until you can hit 100kmph on the open road. For town use, this will blow your doors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdX2z_vvwy8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHLckBcsrUo

And remember, in my country or your country, its the common laborers that drive pick up trucks, the wealthy own Mercedes, BMWs, and Volvos...ect

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 13, 2009, 7:42 am

One thing is for certain, t_t - in my country, your country, or Thailand for that matter, the wealthy also don't own tuktuks - even if they get from 0 - 100 in 6.2 seconds :D

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » December 13, 2009, 7:57 am

Tuk Tuks are a great way to slow down yourself ,to make the adjustment to retired life and a more relaxed pace and lifestyle.We don't have motorbikes because I worry about the problems they can present to the family as far as possible injuries are concerned,But I would have a tuk tuk if I didn't have a car and bicycles hogging up the space.

For me,it is all about lifestyle,more than wealth!But if I was wealthy enough to afford luxurious autos and a large home,I would also buy a tuk tuk.Image to me is a waste of time in relation to wealth and could create other problems for a falang in Thailand!

ting_tong
udonmap.com

Post by ting_tong » December 13, 2009, 8:56 am

jackspratt wrote:One thing is for certain, t_t - in my country, your country, or Thailand for that matter, the wealthy also don't own tuktuks - even if they get from 0 - 100 in 6.2 seconds :D
you missed the point, I am not wealthy........its the people of issan that think they are big shots if they own a pick up truck and some falang have adapted that attitude too, they think that owning a pick up truck is a sign of wealth.

I really dont give a rats @ss what a thai drives or what a falang drives or what they think (my western thoughts of keeping up with the Jone's).........I am here to have a good time and I need to get to point A to point B and do it safely and quickly if need be.
I also know the truth, that its the banks that own most cars that Thai people own, if they dont keep paying for them, they lose it.

BTW, in a western country a tuktuk or 3 wheeler is not cheap! Its the same as a car in price, I wish I had a tuktuk when I go back home to work, sure woulc be cheap on gas and insurance too.
FYI, I have seen only 1 falang in Udon with a late model Mercedes, thats the guy that owns picoloroma.

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » December 13, 2009, 11:14 am

Whenever I see a falang cruising around in an expensive luxury car in Thailand thinking he is "the Shhhh", I just shake my head like "Why? What is the point? Dude, you're a falang in Thailand. You don't need an expensive car to impress." :roll: Ok, I can appreciate the safety features being desirable, maybe a jaunt along roads without having to worry about radar or ladar, but beyond that it's a complete waste. Just IMHO.

When I see a falang cruising about in a samlor or tuk-tuk, I think "Now THERE goes a guy who is enjoying Thailand." Because it's one of those things one wouldn't normally do back in falangland. =D>

Just my song-baht.

Cheers!

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » December 15, 2009, 5:37 am

ting_tong wrote:lots of negative tuktuk comments?
my tuktuk would tear your pickup truck or car a new @$$h0le! until you can hit 100kmph on the open road. For town use, this will blow your doors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdX2z_vvwy8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHLckBcsrUo

And remember, in my country or your country, its the common laborers that drive pick up trucks, the wealthy own Mercedes, BMWs, and Volvos...ect
I was waiting for you to pop up TT, thats a proper tuk tuk alright.....nice bit of power you got there in a small packet.....very lightweight too....whats it like in the wet..?

ting_tong
udonmap.com

Post by ting_tong » December 15, 2009, 10:06 am

only your feet get wet, if there is enough overhang on the top, water does not get you. get wet seats too!

the frame is actually very heavy, about 2x3 inches, and the top & back together takes 2 guys to lift and is heavy, if I had money, I would gut the back and top and make it in fiberglass.

about the falangs thinking a pick up is a sign of wealth and how they play that, I once translated for 2 different falang, one was drunk, one was just stupid.........they wanted me to tell the bargirl they had pick up trucks, choppers, a big house, lots of money ect.....they always started with the cars first.........if I ever run into that again, I will translate something completely different, like he has stink feet, a small sasuage, and likes the 3rd gender
Both of the girls could see the falang I was translating for was full of $hht and did not want to go with them, even for money

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » March 13, 2010, 7:24 pm

Woot! I bought my samlor last week and I LOVE IT! My daughter hops in the back and off we go amongst the rice paddy roads in the mornings and sometimes evenings. She thinks it's awesome and fun exploring the dirt roads and such. An adventure awaits around every curve and over every hill.

Paid 54k and drove it off the showroom floor. I'm having it customized while we are back in Sinville, so if you see some dude looking entirely too happy samloring down the road, chances are it will be me. ;) Written on the side will be something like: "Good looking guys ride samlors!" (in Thai, of course). On the back will be something else funny. Looking at bumper stickers for a good one that will translate well.

I've seen Harley clubs in the area and would love to join a club that would put them to shame when we rev those samlor engines! Really, these 125/150 cc engines have a surprisingly deep and loud throaty sound to them. Sounds Hellas close to a hog.

ULICK MC GEE
udonmap.com

Post by ULICK MC GEE » March 13, 2010, 10:14 pm

Khondahm .My Tastes Are Simple.I Like The Best.
this sticker caught my eye recently.Happy and safe driving.

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » March 13, 2010, 10:58 pm

KHONDAHM wrote:Woot! I bought my samlor last week and I LOVE IT!
I bought one in 2007 for 53k. The thing is a piece of ---- and is falling to bits. I gave it to my brother in law who also agrees that it is a piece of ----. Thats all.

OT.... \:D/

MALC
udonmap.com

Post by MALC » March 14, 2010, 12:32 am

i think some of you members have a problem. i have worked for 50 yrs double shifts dont drink the odd one now and again. ive always had a pick up for my extra work in uk i have no baggage so why not have a new pick up. i always had one in uk. that does not make flash. plus its safer. sane and normal.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » March 14, 2010, 12:55 am

Really, these 125/150 cc engines have a surprisingly deep and loud throaty sound to them. Sounds Hellas close to a hog.
Yes...i often mistake those tones of the well designed contraptions for a Fat-Boy as it cruises past... :confused:
Unless you meant a Hog (As In porky Pig) as its being slaughtered...that does resemble the squealing braking system of some of those brightly coloured 3 wheelers.

gougouluxembourg

Post by gougouluxembourg » August 28, 2010, 4:53 pm

I am moving from Krabi to Udon soon, have bike and Car and think about a Samlor for Fun.
Can i have a Samlor registered as a Motorbike, Numberplate, can i get insurance as for a Bike ?

Thank you in advanve for help.

Gougouluxembourg

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » August 29, 2010, 2:31 am

Ha! One of the great benefits of owning a samlor is that you just buy and drive it away! No need for all that insurance stuff or a driver's license and you are never stopped at road checkpoints. They spray paint a serial number on at the shop and away you go. Mine is registered in my wife's name, but could have just as easily put it in mine. I figured maybe it would circumvent any red tape, but I have since learned that there really isn't any to speak of - certainly unlike owning a two-wheeled death machine.

IMHO, it's also the safest vehicle to drive in Thailand. When was the last time you EVER saw a collison involving a samlor, or even collision damage? In a low speed collision a samlor wrapped in steel is going to crush a plastic bumper Toyota. I doubt the samlor would even be damaged; and if damaged, the repair would be a couple hundred bat versus thousands for the car.

Love, love, love it!

erikr_
udonmap.com

Post by erikr_ » August 29, 2010, 2:44 am

show us a picture :) that will tell us more then a thousand words :)

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » August 29, 2010, 7:03 am

erikr_ wrote:show us a picture :) that will tell us more then a thousand words :)
No problem! PM where you will be parking your car today. :D

gougouluxembourg

Post by gougouluxembourg » August 29, 2010, 9:00 am

KHONDAHM wrote: I doubt the samlor would even be damaged; and if damaged, the repair would be a couple hundred bat versus thousands for the car.
Thanks for the answers, but i like to know, can i have insurance for the thousands i have to pay (always farrangs mistake)

if i hit the Toyota ?

Kind regards Gougouluxembourg

thrilled
udonmap.com

Post by thrilled » August 30, 2010, 2:42 am

I would like to own A tuk tuk and A samlor.I think it would be great for farangs to do this in thailand.Now maybe it wouldn't be cool picking up fares.But maybe you and A few buddies out on A saturday night.

Return to “Travel & Transport”