Renewing a 5 year drivers license

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
Tafia
udonmap.com

Renewing a 5 year drivers license

Post by Tafia » July 6, 2010, 9:08 pm

You can renew your licence (5yr) at AEK Udon...no test.

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

Re: Udon Thani Immigration Office

Post by wokkawombat » July 7, 2010, 6:45 am

Tafia wrote:You can renew your licence (5yr) at AEK Udon...no test.
I enquired about 6 weeks ago at AEK about renewing a 5 year licence and was told I had to go to Noon Soong?? to watch the vidio. I hope in the meantime they have changed their mind?

Tafia
udonmap.com

Post by Tafia » July 7, 2010, 8:37 am

wokkawombat wrote:
Tafia wrote:You can renew your licence (5yr) at AEK Udon...no test.
I enquired about 6 weeks ago at AEK about renewing a 5 year licence and was told I had to go to Noon Soong?? to watch the vidio. I hope in the meantime they have changed their mind?
Done mine in May no hassle, I think a lot depends on who you speak to. The lady who works there is a bit of a dragon while the chap is helpful and friendly.

udonthani
udonmap.com

Post by udonthani » July 7, 2010, 3:37 pm

I have never heard about AEK Udon!!!!!!
All driver license is handled out of the land transport Office a little south of Nong Sung, the office is on the right side of road towards BKK and use 1 U-turn after N.S. (do not drive into the nurses compound, hi)

Tafia
udonmap.com

Post by Tafia » July 8, 2010, 1:14 am

udonthani wrote:I have never heard about AEK Udon!!!!!!
All driver license is handled out of the land transport Office a little south of Nong Sung, the office is on the right side of road towards BKK and use 1 U-turn after N.S. (do not drive into the nurses compound, hi)
I got my initial 12 mth licences at Nong Sung but got the 5yr at AEK Udon.
Small office on the ground floor as you drive into AEK Udon, theres another small office there where you can renew your Tax.
Had no problems with either, Licence office, showed correct paperwork, issued immediatly, bike and car (5yr)
Tax office, produce copy of insurance and green book..again no hassle.

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Re: Renew drivers License AEK Udon

Post by WBU ALUM » July 8, 2010, 3:41 pm

So what do we need at AEK Udon to renew from a one-year temp to a 5-year DL?

I'm assuming the following:

- Temp DLs already issued that expire in one year
- Passport and copies (visa and photo pages)
- Yellow book and copies
- Cost?

Anything else?

Thanks.

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » July 8, 2010, 3:56 pm

WBU ALUM wrote:So what do we need at AEK Udon to renew from a one-year temp to a 5-year DL?

I'm assuming the following:

- Temp DLs already issued that expire in one year
- Passport and copies (visa and photo pages)
- Yellow book and copies
- Cost?

Anything else?

Thanks.
Just called. AEK Udon will do it. Other document is that "physical" ...

wazza
udonmap.com

Re: Renewing a 5 year drivers license

Post by wazza » July 8, 2010, 4:10 pm

WBU A

I have a 5 yr licence already, but the position of it within my wallet , means it has cracked along the top , the full width.

Possible u can ask there if its easy to just get a replacement , or does it mean i need to get a new 5 year one ?

I didnt need the Physical before. TIT.

Beware of the lady doing the documents, included in her interegation, is " are u single or married" and if its the former, then there is more interest in ur personal life and plans, than in the ability to have a licence !

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » July 8, 2010, 4:15 pm

wazza wrote:WBU A

I have a 5 yr licence already, but the position of it within my wallet , means it has cracked along the top , the full width.

Possible u can ask there if its easy to just get a replacement , or does it mean i need to get a new 5 year one ?

I didnt need the Physical before. TIT.

Beware of the lady doing the documents, included in her interegation, is " are u single or married" and if its the former, then there is more interest in ur personal life and plans, than in the ability to have a licence !
I'll check and let you know, wazza.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » July 8, 2010, 5:56 pm

WBU ALUM wrote:
Just called. AEK Udon will do it. Other document is that "physical" ...
papaguido wrote:If medical certificate needed, there's a clinic in town that will provided it for 30bt (as long as you're breathing, health check not done). It a few shop's over from Neeg Soon supermarket, next door to the BKK bank ATM machines.

Or you can have the physical done at AEK for a 100bt...UP2U :D

mrbeerlao
udonmap.com

Post by mrbeerlao » July 8, 2010, 6:38 pm

So theres no way to get a thai drivers LIc WITH ONLY A "holiday visa"? im in thailand 3 trips a year id love a thai lic..
You think a bribe could work??? he he he he he

rossi46
udonmap.com

Post by rossi46 » July 8, 2010, 7:15 pm

I am married with papers and on 30 day entery every time as i travel for work overseas very often.

I went to the lic dep on KK road and showed my Uk lic and it was no prob thay gave a letter, i then went to imm at ap and they checked the marr cer plus house papers and wrote another paper to give to lic dep.

I then went back to lic dep did the colour check showerd the med paper i got on the way back to lic dep (just to show you have all your limbs) and then the brake test and was then given the temp lic for bike and car.

If you have the docs its no prob.

Rossi46

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » July 8, 2010, 7:38 pm

Just renewed my 5 year DL today as the last 5 year licence expired in Feb.

2 copies of my landlords ID and house book signed by him,one set for immgration along w/copies from my passport,signed by me ,forms filled out and 100 baht to get the letter of residence for the LT office!

The other set of landlords signed copies for the LT office,along with another set of passport copies,signed!30 baht health cert given back at the LT office as they said I didn't need it!

Filled out forms and gave them my old licence,signed a log book and paid 655 baht.Sent to a room to watch a DVD in Thai,supposed to be about 30 minutes long,after 10 minute my paperwork had been processed and it was brought to me.I was directed to another room(nicely A/C'd),picture taken,10 baht,couple of minute later,my new plastic DL pops out of the machine,I take it and leave!

Nong Khai LT office,in at 1330,out by 1400,pleasant experience!

mrbeerlao
udonmap.com

Post by mrbeerlao » July 9, 2010, 8:37 am

Thanks for your feedback,sounds like i could get a thai LIC.. I plan to retire in UDON but that wont be for a while but id love to get the ball rolling with the Thai Lic...... thanks

lepidoptra
udonmap.com

Post by lepidoptra » July 9, 2010, 8:47 am

mrbeerlao wrote:Thanks for your feedback,sounds like i could get a thai LIC.. I plan to retire in UDON but that wont be for a while but id love to get the ball rolling with the Thai Lic...... thanks
As I understand it you require an 'o' type visa (or similar ) to obtain letter from immigration to enable you to obtain licence

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » July 9, 2010, 8:47 am

I am not sure whether you can get one with a VOA,but I know you can with a tourist visa.You could always got to the consulate in Laos and get a tourist visa,then get your licence.I would check with the Land Transport office first though! :D

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » July 9, 2010, 8:49 am

lepidoptra wrote:
mrbeerlao wrote:Thanks for your feedback,sounds like i could get a thai LIC.. I plan to retire in UDON but that wont be for a while but id love to get the ball rolling with the Thai Lic...... thanks
As I understand it you require an 'o' type visa (or similar ) to obtain letter from immigration to enable you to obtain licence
I was able to get my license with a Tourist Visa and yellow book. But that shouldn't be surprising, since different folks seems to have different experiences.

mrbeerlao
udonmap.com

Post by mrbeerlao » July 9, 2010, 9:01 pm

So in a nut shell i need,to go immigration,get a medical,and some papers of our house in udon,And passport.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » July 10, 2010, 5:51 am

nkstan wrote:Just renewed my 5 year DL today as the last 5 year licence expired in Feb.
Seems to me the goal posts are still moving. I was given the impression that one would not be given another 5 year license if the old 5 year had expired. You had to start again from scratch with a one year.

Is the rule still in place where one must let the one year license expire before they would issue the 5 year?

I was caught out there trying to get a 5 year, because I went in a week before the one year expired they INSISTED that I could only get another one year!!! NO EXPLAINATION I was really pissed off. Learned the errors of my ways and was given the 5 year the following year which expires in a few months.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » July 10, 2010, 6:42 am

Bandung_Dero wrote: Is the rule still in place where one must let the one year license expire before they would issue the 5 year?
I posted this back in May.
papaguido wrote:
Paul wrote:Can anyone who has renewed a 5 year licence recently (i.e. a second 5 year licence)- tell me what documents are required (I don't have a yellow book) and is it correct you can now renew BEFORE it expires
Apparently so, that was the information given to my wife while at DTL about 6 weeks ago.
papaguido wrote:Update on license renewal policy. My wife just returned from Dept of Land Trans said that DLT has changed the policy on renewing licenses.

-1yr license, can renew 1 month before expiration date.
-5yr license, can renew 3 months before expiration date.

Return to “Travel & Transport”