Air Asia - New Cabin Baggage Rules

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
harmonyudon
udonmap.com

Post by harmonyudon » April 21, 2013, 12:50 am

This is allowed for cabin baggage air asia flights:
Attachments
air_asia_cabin_baggage.jpg

Don't be a loser, don't comment on others if u haven't achieved a thing.
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.

Dave450

Post by Dave450 » April 22, 2013, 1:32 am

As I'm fly with AA very soon I just checked for press releases and tried to call them but to no avail? So I checked the terms and cond's and it appears to be the same as last time I flew.
> 8.6 Unchecked Baggage: Passengers (except infants) are allowed two (2) items of baggage to be carried on board. The items of baggage may be a combination of any two of the following: cabin bag or a laptop bag or a handbag. The cabin bag shall not exceed the dimensions of 56cm X 36cm X 23cm and must not weigh more than 7kg. Such baggage must fit under the seat in front of you or in an enclosed storage compartment in the cabin. Items determined by us to be of excessive weight or size or of an offensive nature will not be permitted on board. Subject to the prevalent applicable local laws and regulations passengers may take liquids on board in their hand luggage provided they meet the following restrictions:

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » April 24, 2013, 7:25 am

I just flew AA from Singapore to BKK and was floored by the amount of baggage people were hauling into the cabin. One guy in particular had no place left to carry anything as he was hauling 4 carry on bags (2 each shoulder) and another two in his hands. He was not alone. I'll be flying AA again today from BKKto UT. I wonder what will be hauled into the cabin next. A small motorcycle would not surprise me at all. LOL LOL
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » April 24, 2013, 8:05 am

Your right, I'm about to commence the 2nd stage of my 6 AirAsia flight trip. The 3 so far have had any sort of cabin baggage rule thrown out the window. It's been difficult to find a place for my smallish NoteBook case even in the "Hot Seat" (extra leg room) sections I always book. To see what people are carrying on board has been quite stunning, couldn't help but grin at passenger trying to find a place for his Guitar Case.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » April 24, 2013, 3:19 pm

I Just flew AA BKK-UTH, I had 2 carry on bags NO Problem / Nothing said........And one of them weighed 12 kgs....

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » April 25, 2013, 6:35 am

No problelems yesterday BKK to UT. Maybe this is a warmup period to let everyone get adjusted to the new rules.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 25, 2013, 6:41 am

We just checked in on thai air to udon......2 people, checked 4 bags weighing 180lbs, plus several carry on bags. No questions, no extra fees....the reason I pay a
Title extra and avoid the hassles

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » April 25, 2013, 8:16 am

I use to fly AA all the time
Scoot is cheaper to oz and fly thru singapore instead of KL
in Oz they started wieghing and marking carry on luggage but every other airport did not bother or care

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » April 25, 2013, 11:31 am

Flights coming from overseas are normally allowed extra weight. I you continue to UT without a layover in BKK the same weight allowance is applied.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 25, 2013, 12:41 pm

fdimike wrote:Flights coming from overseas are normally allowed extra weight. I you continue to UT without a layover in BKK the same weight allowance is applied.
AA is a point-to-point airline, so those rules would not apply to them.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 25, 2013, 1:24 pm

Sorry for any confusion......we flew into Bangkok on American/JAL (Alliance)...spent the night in a hotel, then flew out on Thai Air to Bangkok in the morning.....actually now goes by the name of Thai Smile. A bevy of cute hostesses all in orange jeans with techno music over the intercom.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » April 25, 2013, 4:19 pm

Parrot, Were the hosties dancing to the music, Whilst serving ??

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » April 25, 2013, 5:35 pm

Dancing? No......but they were a pleasant sight after taking American Air from Texas to Japan.

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » April 25, 2013, 8:35 pm

jackspratt wrote:... AA is a point-to-point airline, so those rules would not apply to them.
Although technically correct, it’s not quite that clear cut.

While the original AirAsia business model was (and still is) as a point to point LCC operation AirAsia has, in recent years, with the addition of the various AirAsia affiliates (in particular long haul AirAsia X), been developing its own bastardised version of a hub and spoke model :shock:

While each segment is still technically “point to point”, separate segments can be connected with a “Fly-Thru” option when booked under one booking number (with Flight Transfer service) enabling the passenger to connect to their next flight without having to collect and then re-check their bags (I don’t know whether there is an additional fee for this service or if it is free).

Interest in using the “Fly-Thru” option for UM members will probably be limited as it is currently only available for flights connecting in Kuala Lumpur.

There is a FAQ page covering the options for a missed connecting flight (the underlying guarantees such as accommodation and onward travel in case of a missed connection provided by legacy airlines, appears only to be discretional with AirAsia).
Some additional info on “Fly-Thru” on the “tripadvisor” site:
Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

Disgusted that the UK is “governed” by a squalid bunch of economically illiterate, self-serving, sleazy and corrupt neo-fascists.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 25, 2013, 10:09 pm

Jimbo as far as I am aware, the AA "Fly-Thru" option only applies to international sectors, so a BKK-UT sector would not allow for the same baggage allowance as an international flight which preceded it - which seemed to be what fdmike was suggesting.

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » April 25, 2013, 11:52 pm

jackspratt wrote:Jimbo as far as I am aware, the AA "Fly-Thru" option only applies to international sectors, so a BKK-UT sector would not allow for the same baggage allowance as an international flight which preceded it - which seemed to be what fdmike was suggesting.
Re-reading the “fdimike” post, you’re correct - currently it only covers international passengers transiting KL and, until there is a suitable international transit passenger and baggage transfer operation at DM along with a fully operational immigration and customs departments at Udon International, it is unlikely to be of much interest to members on UM.

One point I meant to make but forgot was that even with the “Fly-Thru” option the prospect of that helping on the baggage front is probably between slim and none as the baggage policy requires the full baggage allowance to be purchased for each individual flight segment (or suffer the risk of excess baggage charges).
Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

Disgusted that the UK is “governed” by a squalid bunch of economically illiterate, self-serving, sleazy and corrupt neo-fascists.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » April 26, 2013, 4:13 am

Although the thread is 'Carry On' related I'll say Jimbo is correct. On each of my 3 return flights I had to tick and pay for baggage (30 Kg in my case). The bags are book as 'Fly Thru' on International legs, on the domestic leg DMK - UTH they are re checked but as I have already paid the extra NO worries. Can't remember exactly but all up about:- 600 Baht for the domestic leg and 1800 Baht for the International.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

GARYZX6R
udonmap.com

Post by GARYZX6R » June 9, 2013, 9:28 pm

Just booked a flight to Bangkok with AA. They charged 640bht to pay by credit card or debit card ! Still the flight in total was just over 1000 bht with everything included, one way so still cheap.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 9, 2013, 9:48 pm

So the charge for using a CC was actually MORE than the cost of the flight if you had paid cash ....... or do AA now have a cash payment supplement of B650, theivin' Bar Stewards that they are.

GARYZX6R
udonmap.com

Post by GARYZX6R » June 9, 2013, 10:40 pm

Next time will take a trip to the airport and see how much it is there to book?

Return to “Travel & Transport”