Long term parking at Udon airport?

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
Dingo
udonmap.com

Post by Dingo » February 12, 2013, 10:04 am

I saw a thread on long term parking at Udon airport but it was dated a long time ago.
Has anyone had any recent experience with leaving cars there?
I need to get on tonights 20.15 flight, will they have someone there?
Any help or suggestions appreciated.
Cheers
Dingo

GENTLEY
udonmap.com

Post by GENTLEY » February 12, 2013, 2:28 pm

Hi, i parked in the long term area last month and everything was fine when i came back. 24 hour security. Its located opposite where the old immigration office used to be. If you dont remember that just ask the security guard outside the terminal, he will point you in the right direction. It cost me 100 baht per day. Hope this helps. Have a good trip.

Dingo
udonmap.com

Post by Dingo » February 12, 2013, 2:33 pm

GENTLEY wrote: by GENTLEY » 12 Feb 2013, 14:28

Hi, i parked in the long term area last month and everything was fine when i came back. 24 hour security. Its located opposite where the old immigration office used to be. If you dont remember that just ask the security guard outside the terminal, he will point you in the right direction. It cost me 100 baht per day. Hope this helps. Have a good trip.
Thanks Gentley,
I'll give it a go!
Cheers
Dingo

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » February 12, 2013, 5:48 pm

Dingo, I have used them twice and there has always been an attendant somewhere around the lot. If one is not there you can go into the terminal at the entry/exit door for arriving flights and see the people at the counter to the immediate left. The parking attendant will have to log you in at that counter anyway. When you retrieve your car from the lot just remember that they have chained your wheel to a lock on the sidewalk behind your car in case you decide to move the car before payment is made.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » February 12, 2013, 6:29 pm

semperfiguy wrote:Dingo, I have used them twice and there has always been an attendant somewhere around the lot. If one is not there you can go into the terminal at the entry/exit door for arriving flights and see the people at the counter to the immediate left. The parking attendant will have to log you in at that counter anyway. When you retrieve your car from the lot just remember that they have chained your wheel to a lock on the sidewalk behind your car in case you decide to move the car before payment is made.
Is that what the lock & chain is for?

I thought it was an anti theft measure.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » February 12, 2013, 6:53 pm

papaguido wrote:
semperfiguy wrote:Dingo, I have used them twice and there has always been an attendant somewhere around the lot. If one is not there you can go into the terminal at the entry/exit door for arriving flights and see the people at the counter to the immediate left. The parking attendant will have to log you in at that counter anyway. When you retrieve your car from the lot just remember that they have chained your wheel to a lock on the sidewalk behind your car in case you decide to move the car before payment is made.

Hello Papa! Yea, I only mentioned that because the first time I used the paid parking I returned from a 10 day trip to Chiang Mai after dark. I had backed into my space so I wouldn't have a hassle charging in case the battery was dead when I returned, so I got in my car and started to pull up a bit just to have easier access to getting my bags in my trunk. That's when my wife noticed that our car had been chained down. I hate to think what a mess the chain would have made on my nice rims had she not caught it in time. Wasn't trying to insinuate that Dingo might be a runner. As for the chain being an anti-theft device...maybe. As protection against customers driving off without paying, especially late at night, I'm sure they came up with that idea after learning the hard way that some people just can't be trusted to do the right thing.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » February 14, 2013, 9:28 am

semperfiguy wrote:
papaguido wrote:

Hello Papa! Yea, I only mentioned that because the first time I used the paid parking I returned from a 10 day trip to Chiang Mai after dark. I had backed into my space so I wouldn't have a hassle charging in case the battery was dead when I returned, so I got in my car and started to pull up a bit just to have easier access to getting my bags in my trunk. That's when my wife noticed that our car had been chained down. I hate to think what a mess the chain would have made on my nice rims had she not caught it in time. Wasn't trying to insinuate that Dingo might be a runner. As for the chain being an anti-theft device...maybe. As protection against customers driving off without paying, especially late at night, I'm sure they came up with that idea after learning the hard way that some people just can't be trusted to do the right thing.
Yeah I guess that's one way of looking at it, but I doubt that's the reason.

nkstan
udonmap.com

Post by nkstan » February 14, 2013, 11:23 am

I'm not sure what you mean about ''long term parking''.I have always left my car in public parking and never had a problem.I have been gone as much as 8 days and as little as 2 days.

Has anyone heard of break ins or thefts there?

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » February 14, 2013, 11:52 am

nkstan wrote:I'm not sure what you mean about ''long term parking''.I have always left my car in public parking and never had a problem.I have been gone as much as 8 days and as little as 2 days.

Has anyone heard of break ins or thefts there?
nkstan, I think it has more to do with protecting your car from the sun by using the long term covered parking. At least that's the only reason I used it when I left town for 10 days. With long term sun exposure, especially in the summer months, it may cause the dash board and other panels to buckle up.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 30, 2013, 7:20 pm

Anyone with recent experience with long-term airport parking? Is the daily rate still 100 baht?

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » November 30, 2013, 7:53 pm

just flew back in Thursday morning to Udon. The private driver that drove us home confirmed that long term parking is indeed 100 baht per day.
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 30, 2013, 8:01 pm

Thanks!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 30, 2013, 8:07 pm

You still have the option of free long-term parking if you wish. I have done so a number of times, as recently as September.

Park under a tree in front of the old terminal, and avoid the sun for at least part of the day (and all of the night :D ).

I really can't see the point of paying 100/day for unknown security benefits, and will continue to park "free" into the future.

ps but I have something in the back of my mind where a UM thread talked about the introduction of paid parking for all areas of the airport. That, of course, could change things. :-k

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 30, 2013, 8:29 pm

Yeah, I've parked 3 days in open parking....no problem. Maybe I'll do it again for a few days longer.

Here's that thread you mentioned:
http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/p ... g'#p335378

Macca
udonmap.com

Post by Macca » November 30, 2013, 8:37 pm

I think the airport car park needs a bit of a clean up.
Took several trips there last month and the car park was always very full.
On closer inspection I saw many cars that had obviously been there a long time, flat tyres etc, perhaps abandoned including a very nice black Camry 2.6. If no one wants it I'll find a good home.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 10, 2014, 11:41 am

This is on the currently running Lek Car Rental thread:
Postby Udon Map » February 10, 2014, 10:59 am

I've only had occasion to rent a car once in Udon, when I arrived back from the U.S. to find that my truck had been stolen from the airport..........
Given the interest above re parking at the airport, and to assist future parkers (including me) perhaps you could give a few more details about your truck, eg

- how long was it parked there for?
- in what section of the carpark (ie in front of the new terminal/old terminal/paid parking area)?
- was the truck fairly new ie with the now standard immobilisers/alarms etc?
- did you get any details of how the theft occurred?

Hopefully all ended well (besides getting good service from Lek). :D

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » February 10, 2014, 12:51 pm

jackspratt wrote:- how long was it parked there for?
- in what section of the carpark (ie in front of the new terminal/old terminal/paid parking area)?
- was the truck fairly new ie with the now standard immobilisers/alarms etc?
- did you get any details of how the theft occurred?

Hopefully all ended well (besides getting good service from Lek). :D
Rereading what I've written before, I didn't go to the U.S., this trip was Bangkok and Chiang Rai. Anyway, it was parked for about two weeks. It was parked in front of the new terminal, but in one of the last spaces along a row, i.e., the furthest space from the terminal in that row. Yes, the truck was something like six months old; I bought it new. No details of what happened. I parked in one of the few spaces not covered by the closed circuit TV cameras.

Details on the adventure can be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20643449-post1.html.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 10, 2014, 12:55 pm

I must admit that the last few times I have needed to park a vehicle at the airport in order to pick up incoming I have found it almost impossible to find a legal space there.

The number of cars seems disproportionate (to me) with the number of passengers that must be arriving in the near future. It can only be that a large number of people do use it for long term parking rather than just getting dropped off & the vehicle leaving..

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 10, 2014, 2:59 pm

Thinking about UM's stolen truck, it probably doesn't matter much if you park overnight or for two weeks......if your truck is on the 'most desired' list AND parked in a known hole in CCTV cameras, it'll probably be stolen.
Makes me wonder who knows about those holes in the CCTV camera views?

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » June 26, 2014, 10:36 am

Haven't left a car long time parking at Udon for a couple of years now, can anyone tell me what's the current situation and is advance booking advisable .Just for 4 days .
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

Return to “Travel & Transport”