UD TO CM

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
stokiebaz
udonmap.com

UD TO CM

Post by stokiebaz » July 22, 2014, 12:55 am

anyone used the nok air service from ud to chang mai,,any info please

Zidane
udonmap.com

UD TO CM

Post by Zidane » July 22, 2014, 8:37 am

I'm useing them later in the year for Udon to Chiang Mai return flights.
They have just recently changed there flight schedule,so the flight from Udon to Chiang Mai now leaves at 6.10pm.
The flight from Chiang Mai to Udon leaves at 4.10pm.
Journey time is only 1 hour,so not much to say I think.I've used Nok Air a few times in Thailand and they are OK.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

UD TO CM

Post by BobHelm » July 22, 2014, 8:47 am

As I understand it some of the flights are on turbo props rather than jets.
nok.jpg
Certainly a different flying experience... :D

Zidane
udonmap.com

UD TO CM

Post by Zidane » July 22, 2014, 9:03 am

I've flown these turbo props a couple of times.....once with Logan Air from Manchester to Glasgow return and once from Phuket to Hat Yai return (maybe with Thai,but the service is discontinued now).
They hold about 70 people and you are sat down very low.Take off can get the adrenalin pumping a bit,but once up you are OK. 8)
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

UD TO CM

Post by BobHelm » July 22, 2014, 9:28 am

It was landing that I found disconcerting.

On a jet, you bump down, roll along a bit & then they chuck the engines into reverse (loud engine noise) & you slow very quickly.
With these they, obviously, can't chuck the engine into reverse so you just merrily bounce down the runway slowing gradually as the brakes are used... :shock:

Personally I would prefer a jet, but a no brainer as far as using one of these or the bus from Chang Mai to Udon.. :D

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

UD TO CM

Post by stattointhailand » July 22, 2014, 9:46 am

Not sure what they are like now, but a few years ago they had a reputation for cancelling the flights for a few months every year :evil:
People who had booked were told to get the flight to BKK and then BKK - CM :-"

It was then quicker, as well as more convenient to drive Udon - CM, with the added bonus that you didn't need to use taxi's or get a hire car whilst you were there.

Having got into the habit of driving there (about 7 - 8 hrs), I never even think about flying anymore :lol:

Shado
udonmap.com

UD TO CM

Post by Shado » July 22, 2014, 10:24 am

Having got into the habit of driving there (about 7 - 8 hrs), I never even think about flying anymore :lol:
We've flown Nok UT to CM before and it was fine. We are planning a trip to CM in October but we will drive as having our own car will be advantageous once we arrive (fishing trip).

A word of caution about driving; if taking the southern route (Hwy 12 to Hwy 11) the road between Lom Sak junction and Phitsanulok is a real mess right now. Construction is going on to expand the highway from two lanes to four lanes (dual carriageway) through the mountains. Lots of heavy equipment, big trucks, excavations and the potential for delays. We were there about 3 weeks ago and we will be taking the route through Wang Saphung, Phu Ruea and Ban Pae to pick up Hwy 11 near Uttaradit in October.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

UD TO CM

Post by stattointhailand » July 22, 2014, 11:11 am

Shado wrote:
We've flown Nok UT to CM before and it was fine. We are planning a trip to CM in October but we will drive as having our own car will be advantageous once we arrive (fishing trip).

A word of caution about driving; if taking the southern route (Hwy 12 to Hwy 11) the road between Lom Sak junction and Phitsanulok is a real mess right now. Construction is going on to expand the highway from two lanes to four lanes (dual carriageway) through the mountains. Lots of heavy equipment, big trucks, excavations and the potential for delays. We were there about 3 weeks ago and we will be taking the route through Wang Saphung, Phu Ruea and Ban Pae to pick up Hwy 11 near Uttaradit in October.
Have only been on the Highway 12 & 11 route twice , and it took about 2 - 3 hrs longer than via Wang Sa Phung, Phu Rua (Not sure where Ban Pae is Shado on route 1143 ?), Dan Sai, Nakhon Thai, Ban Dong, and joining up with Hwy 11 ... I'm assuming it's the same route.
Add major road re construction and it will take about 11 or 12 hrs :-k

Shado
udonmap.com

UD TO CM

Post by Shado » July 22, 2014, 1:16 pm

Yes, Hwy 1143. It's not a bad road and has enough "slow traffic" passing lanes to maintain pretty good time. Once the new dual carriageway is complete, Hwy 12 may offer a better alternative. Personally, I rather like the northern (Phu Ruea) route. However if your vehicle uses E-20 or E-85 nam man ben sin be sure you have plenty in your tank as those particular grades are a bit harder to find on that series of roads.

Sorry for wandering off topic. I know the OP wanted information about flying Nok Air. We considered flying on the October trip and even checked the Nok Air round-trip fares. We just decided it was more convenient to drive and we have lots of time. Never had any issues flying with Nok to Chiang Mai previously.

pomps
udonmap.com

UD TO CM

Post by pomps » July 22, 2014, 1:36 pm

Stokiebaz just done a check on return flights at nokair from Udon,with all costs will be anything from 4500 -5000 baht 8)
Do not get too greedy on the luggage excess while shopping in Chiang Mai,the plane needs to get up in the air :D
Will no doubt see you at some stage in your next trip to LOS,is it October or November :-k We have lost contact with ponytail Peter,any ideas,send a pm. 8)

GARYZX6R
udonmap.com

UD TO CM

Post by GARYZX6R » July 22, 2014, 2:31 pm

Booked a couple of months back for flights in August paid 1000 bht each way.

nkstan
udonmap.com

UD TO CM

Post by nkstan » July 22, 2014, 3:35 pm

Use this flight alot.Used to be 4 flights a day,now just one.Easy 1 hour flight,small plane.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

UD TO CM

Post by stattointhailand » July 22, 2014, 4:05 pm

nkstan wrote:Use this flight alot.Used to be 4 flights a day,now just one.Easy 1 hour flight,small plane.
As pomps said, go easy on the shopping :lol:
microlights.jpg
microlights.jpg (4.73 KiB) Viewed 1356 times

arjay
udonmap.com

UD TO CM

Post by arjay » July 22, 2014, 5:01 pm

We flew with "Nok Mini" - on the turbo prop to CM and back during the last New Year. The overhead luggage compartment is smaller than on jets and only on one side. Its also noisier, in flight, and on take-off and landing than jets.

As I recollect it took quite a bit longer than an hour. Though I see the latest timetable/schedule shows they are now using a B737-800, and (thus) a timing of exactly one hour.

stokiebaz
udonmap.com

UD TO CM

Post by stokiebaz » July 22, 2014, 11:26 pm

thanks for all the info guys..be there sept/oct this year..pomps not heard off peter for a bit

nkstan
udonmap.com

UD TO CM

Post by nkstan » July 23, 2014, 2:30 pm

It seems that they have replaced the 4 flights on small plane to 1 flight a day on a larger jet.

Return to “Travel & Transport”