Driving around udon thani

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
slotmh
udonmap.com

Post by slotmh » March 8, 2007, 8:46 pm

Many thanks for the advice; I think I

BanPhu
udonmap.com

Post by BanPhu » March 9, 2007, 1:48 am

Sorry about the confussion with my Thai Ron was correct with Translation ie Where's the falang, I'm a green Thai man. However this would not work in most cases unless you were really green, I mean't to type Si Kow ie White, sorry!

Also add about driving, watch out for potholes, some have sticks placed in them so they are more detectable, seems the roads here in the UK are following the pothole tradition without having the sticks though. At trafic lights you can turn left at a red light if junction is clear. The traffic lights at night tend to be flashing amber which means you can keep going unless there is something coming that will sideswipe you. Night time driving I have had to avoid potholes, chickens, dogs, kwai and drunks and drunk drivers so care really needs to be taken (actually it's the same during the day, but easier to spot).

I always take an international driving licence, cost just over ฃ5 + photo here in the UK for a year, as wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of the law if the worst happened.

Having a driver was a real advantage for me as it meant could have a drink whenever wanted, they knew the roads better and made it more relaxing sitting with the family and not concentrating on the road, plus with the DVD was able to catch up with the series of Lost.

Enjoy your holiday.

farang
udonmap.com

Post by farang » March 9, 2007, 2:54 am

BanPhu wrote:Sorry about the confussion with my Thai Ron was correct with Translation ie Where's the falang, I'm a green Thai man. However this would not work in most cases unless you were really green, I mean't to type Si Kow ie White, sorry!
:roll:

think its time to add a new forum topic ....

"thai/issan/lao language" na....
so people get it correct.....and and can learn a bit of thai...
looks like they need it....

dill
udonmap.com

Post by dill » March 9, 2007, 3:55 am

beer monkey wrote:Hage's.
i have never been turned down or had any problems using a Uk drivers license, but best get a international one to be one the safe side.
i have always used my australian licence and have never had a problem,have been stopped by police for road checkes on a number of occations and have never said anything about my licence.
also the insurance on the cars are covered with a australian licence,depends on where you hire the car from a gues,i ussually hire from lek.
would not be to oof putting about driving around once you get used to the roads and the traffic it is easy

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » March 9, 2007, 5:28 am

traveller wrote:would not be to oof putting about driving around once you get used to the roads and the traffic it is easy
yes don't be to put oof regarding driving its a breeze really,its just Doc had a fair point as the original poster comes from USA he would be used to driving a kack handed vehicle on an odd side of the road, and if you arn't used to the "Thai way" of others (ie: Kon Thai/laos) operating a motorized vehicle then maybe a good idea to get someone else to do the dodge-in and a weaving.
And it is best to get a inter- licence(don't think they cost a lot anyway) so you could'nt blame us on here if something went wrong. :D

MuayThaiguy
udonmap.com

Post by MuayThaiguy » March 28, 2007, 11:34 pm

Everyone else has no problems driving on the left.

Edited by Udonmap Mod Team.

Either learn to not curse everyone or leave the forum. [-X

MuayThaiguy
udonmap.com

Post by MuayThaiguy » March 28, 2007, 11:37 pm

" have always used my australian licence and have never had a problem,have been stopped by police for road checkes on a number of occations and have never said anything about my licence.
also the insurance on the cars are covered with a australian licence"

Actually it's illegal. You need an international drivers licence. Cops dont give a ---- unless you crash then your insurance policy will be null and void and you'll have to bribe the cops.

oldfield

Post by oldfield » March 28, 2007, 11:50 pm

MuayThaiguy wrote:Everyone else has no problems driving on the left. Only yank losers complain about it because they are too stupid to adjust to anything different from the states. They think everything that's done in the **** is the way to do things.
Nice going MuayThaiguy.

Only 12 posts and you've managed to slag off 80% of the users of this forum. way to go.

dill
udonmap.com

Post by dill » March 29, 2007, 6:17 pm

MuayThaiguy wrote:" have always used my australian licence and have never had a problem,have been stopped by police for road checkes on a number of occations and have never said anything about my licence.
also the insurance on the cars are covered with a australian licence"

Actually it's illegal. You need an international drivers licence. Cops dont give a **** unless you crash then your insurance policy will be null and void and you'll have to bribe the cops.
if it is so allegal why are the insurance company agreeing with my australian licence then?

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » March 29, 2007, 7:38 pm

it is my understanding, that unless agreed to and in writing, insurance company will not cover you unless thai or international license. legal wise, either is a must, legally, whether enforced or not. would recommend having that international license while on visit, just in case something does happen, one less reason for you to be at fault.

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » March 29, 2007, 8:17 pm

MuayThaiguy wrote:
Everyone else has no problems driving on the left. Only yank losers complain about it because they are too stupid to adjust to anything different from the states. They think everything that's done in the **** is the way to do things.

Nice going MuayThaiguy.

Only 12 posts and you've managed to slag off 80% of the users of this forum. way to go.

MuayThaiguy, Just curious as to which side you guys sit when you drive your airplanes.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » March 29, 2007, 8:19 pm

when i have used Avis in the past, they just copy my country DL number down, but agree best to be one the safe sideand get one, (says me who don't usually get a Int-DL) :fart:
Can You Dig It Dug.?

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » March 30, 2007, 4:29 am

One other thing to remember.

If someone flashes their lights at you it means,:- Get out of the fcuking way. I'm coming through.

Not like the UK where it means the opposite.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » March 31, 2007, 10:19 am

Maxeboy, in the old days because most people are right handed you passed each other on the right to show that you were not carrying a weapon.

Return to “Travel & Transport”