HELP - Flying to Udon from the UK - wife and baby - advice n

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
ph55059

HELP - Flying to Udon from the UK - wife and baby - advice n

Post by ph55059 » April 18, 2007, 6:02 pm

Hi all,

I work in the UK and travel to Udon every couple of years, gave last year a miss because the TG was 7 months pregnant. This year will be a different matter, I plan on sending the wife and new born baby over first and I will join her for the last couple of weeks. This brings me to my question - we have not travelled to Udon since Suvarnabhumi opened. Does anyone have any experience of travelling to Udon with the connecting flights etc. via the new airport? I guess I am worried about the transfer and how the TG will cope with carrying a baby, luggage and getting the connecting flight - spatial awareness has never been her strong point as I'm sure you'll understand. I have heard that Thai Air Asia run domestic flights from Suvarnabhumi
to Udon

bamboopaul
udonmap.com

Post by bamboopaul » April 18, 2007, 6:09 pm

My advice is this, with a baby and luggage etc etc , the best way would be via SIngapore.
My TG had our baby 2 months ago and we are due to return to the uk soon, I would not want her to go alone with our baby, too much like hard graft and very distressing for someone not clued up on travel matters.

You could also fly her with Singapore airlines, much better than Emirates although Emirates are good. The Tiger airways to Udon direct.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » April 19, 2007, 1:06 pm

Actually probably not a good Idea to use Tiger from singapore. To use Tiger you must go thru customs first with your baggage and then check in at the Tiger counter. Far better to go thru Savarnabhumi and use Thai to fly to Udon. It might be a little more expensive but the baggage will be taken care of automatically. Also your wife with fluent Thai will have no problem with directions to her conecting flight.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » April 19, 2007, 4:16 pm

Also Thai airways staff are 1st class at taking care of TG's with babies, i have had 2 first hand experiance's, so would'nt worry too much paul.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

bamboopaul
udonmap.com

Post by bamboopaul » April 19, 2007, 5:29 pm

Actually probably not a good Idea to use Tiger from singapore. To use Tiger you must go thru customs first with your baggage and then check in at the Tiger counter. Far better to go thru Savarnabhumi and use Thai to fly to Udon. It might be a little more expensive but the baggage will be taken care of automatically. Also your wife with fluent Thai will have no problem with directions to her conecting flight

Except that Thai DO NOT fly to Udon from Suvarnabhumi any more, only Air Asia fly direct and they are not always flying on time.

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » April 19, 2007, 10:07 pm

This post needs some real information about airlines which still operate domestic flights from the new airport. Even I live here and I am not sure what is going on - so if someone can provide some hard information to assist the posters wife on her travel -please speak up - otherwise Singapore might be less trouble than transiting across Bangkok to catch a connecting flight for his wife

PS- well done thailand for screwing things up :)

mally
udonmap.com

Post by mally » April 19, 2007, 10:39 pm

I also am not sure, all I do know is that I booked my flight to UT on the Thai Air web site for a flight in early May and it would only accept a booking from DM with a flight coke of DMK even though I will be flying into the new airport from Heathrow (also Thai Air). First hand knowledge would be great if any of you have it.

Also, have they relocated the meter taxis yet, or will I have to still run the gauntlet of Limo touts to get a taxi across to DM ?

bamboopaul
udonmap.com

Post by bamboopaul » April 20, 2007, 12:13 am

Ok people listen up, here is the definitive

THAI air and NOK air both fly from Don Muaeng to Udon Thani code DMK or VTBD

Air Asia fly from Suvarnabhumi to Udon Thani code BKK or VTBS

Nok also fly to Chiang Mai

Tiger Airways fly to Singapore

ALL Flights to Don Mueang with Thai air use 4 digit flight numbers eg TG1234

All flights to Suvarnabhumi with Thai use 3 digit flight numbers eg TG678

Transiting the two Bangkok airports for a woman alone with luggage and a baby is just not on inmy humble opinion.

Hope the above clears matters :D

ph55059

Post by ph55059 » April 20, 2007, 4:16 pm

Thanks everyone,

I will attempt to send her direct to Suvarnbhumi with a connecting flight Air Asia to Udon. I only hope that:

a:) She does not miss the connection &
b:) The luggage gets tranferred automatically.

I will do some more research on this before I buy the tickets though.

Thanks again

Paul

valentine

Post by valentine » April 20, 2007, 6:06 pm

ph55059 wrote:Thanks everyone,

I will attempt to send her direct to Suvarnbhumi with a connecting flight Air Asia to Udon. I only hope that:

a:) She does not miss the connection &
b:) The luggage gets tranferred automatically.

I will do some more research on this before I buy the tickets though.

Thanks again

Paul
Sorry Paul, the luggage will have to be collected and cleared through customs before being checked in again for Air Asia. :shock:

ph55059

Post by ph55059 » April 20, 2007, 11:39 pm

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGHH!

Private Jet Charter seems the only option!

bamboopaul
udonmap.com

Post by bamboopaul » April 21, 2007, 12:11 am

Yes if you have the money to burn !!!

A private jet from London to the Nice one way charter is someting like ฃ25,000

Reasonable cost for flying to Udon from London (can be done with a Gufstream V) or Falcon 900, with the dead leg for return empty unless you can guarantee a return fare is approx ฃ250,000, cheap if you have 10 pax !!! and travel in ultimate luxury.

Failing that, send her first class with Singapore, they will transfer her to Tiger Airways FREE and help her with the luggage.

Good luck :D

poan

Post by poan » April 21, 2007, 3:40 pm

If the flight from LON arrive in BKK in the moring, she will have to wait to 4:15pm(Thai Air Asia), if she arrive in afternoon, she will only have 1 hour before take off, thats not enough time.
well this is what i would do:
Before going: Call Thai Air( if thats the airline u use) to get them to help her when she arrive. Call Limo services in BKK( Suvarnbhumi) get them to meet her
when she get out from custom, so she can get to Don Muang. Buy buissnes ticket to BKK-UTH with Thai-air in UK before going, so she dont have to stand in line at the counter, after check-in she can use the lounge. She will be in UTH 01:30 PM( 13:30). Hope its help

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » April 21, 2007, 5:00 pm

i would agree with that poan, stick with Thai airways get a official AOT Limo at the AOT booth to D/M and get Buisness class(already purchased in London) with TG to Udon with use of lounge and executive toilets at DM, and she will be looked after by Thai airways staff, don't shop around for the cheapest deal in a situation like this.
i reckon she will only be pushing a trolly about 15 minutes in all from plane to immigation and through baggage (if the bags are not auto transfered to Connecting Thai Airways flight at DM).
job done !
Can You Dig It Dug.?

Return to “Travel & Transport”