Bang Pa-In to Khorat Expressway

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Re: Bang Pa-In to Khorat Expressway

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 21, 2020, 8:10 pm

the standard of workmanship and the time taken (3yrs) to do the Korat to BPI elevated expressway is very impressive IMO .. with minimal disruption a huge bonus ... massive well done to who ever did it.

DM

Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 28, 2020, 10:02 pm

An update for road users UD to BKK

Did an overnight trip to Bkk it took just over 6 hours UD TO RAMA 9 via the Motor way 9 then the Chalong Rat tollway .. factors include no hold ups light traffic and more of the Korat to Bang Pa In elevated expressway now in use , im predicted a sub 6 hr drive when all the new mega road is totally finished and open .. the return trip in the day time same route was 7 plus hours as heavy traffic .

IMO the Korat to BPI expressway is a fantastic feet of engineering .. 3 plus years and who knows how many man hours steel n ready mix has gone into this mega structure .. very high standard of finish IMPRESSIVE .

DM

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 28, 2020, 10:18 pm

"IMO the Korat to BPI expressway is a fantastic feet of engineering .. 3 plus years and who knows how many man hours steel n ready mix has gone into this mega structure .. very high standard of finish IMPRESSIVE "

Just goes to show what can be achieved with hard work and gazillions of Baht DM

In fact you nearly got back to the sort of times that were the norm 20 years ago (sub 6 hrs Udon - Sukhumvit)

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 28, 2020, 11:01 pm

yes i bet its cost a few baht .. some one or many have got rich on this gig .. from crane hire to supplying steel toe capped flip flops im guessing kick backs were a plenty... imagine who got the ready mix contract ??

i have been watching it develop over the last few years and for such a huge project it caused very little disruption to traffic flow except for the daft big holiday times NY n SK etc.

A great asset cant wait till its fully operational .. smashing view of Lampthakong rezzer as well.

DM

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 5, 2020, 11:49 am

DM or others, heading to Patters next week, and was wondering if using the new Expressway and then via swampy might now be quicker than going cross country (304/331). Not been down sarf for about a year, so not sure whats done and whats not.
Any advice would be appreciated

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 5, 2020, 12:59 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
March 5, 2020, 11:49 am
DM or others, heading to Patters next week, and was wondering if using the new Expressway and then via swampy might now be quicker than going cross country (304/331). Not been down sarf for about a year, so not sure whats done and whats not.
The new Korat to Bang Pain isnt fully open and seems like differenr sections are open n closed each time ive travelled recently .. its certainly will.make a difference when fully open IMO .. but thats to.Bkk not Pattaya .n motorway 9 can be a bummer at the wrong times

The 304 n 331 are massively improved 2 3 n even 4 lanes in some sections will.only a small stretch still single in the mountains near Wang Nam.Keaw n Prachin so im.guessing this still.the best option for a Ud tp.Patts route

Lot depends on the time of day u travel ..i do.night runs as way smoother ligthrr traffic no hold ups etc

Bring me a stick of rock.back will.you statts

Dm

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 5, 2020, 1:04 pm

I normally go down one way, and back the other.

For my next trip, and I suggest you do the same statto, I will try the new expressway south, and then make a decision on which way to come back.

Be aware if you travel via 331, there are major road works for probably 20km around Bo Win - this was late January.

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » March 5, 2020, 1:31 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
I have tried all routes from Udon to Pattaya.
The fastest is to come off the 304 where it meets the 331& head to Chachensao then take the motorway into Pattaya.
Going via Saraburi & then joining the Motorway is nearly as fast but about 60 km longer.
Going down the 331 takes the longest due to the amount of traffic lights on the 331 & the roadworks at Bowin.
It can take up to 2 hours longer going down the 331 due to these roadworks.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 5, 2020, 1:35 pm

Thanks guys

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 10, 2020, 11:39 am

stattointhailand wrote:
On review of your perpetually recidivist, unhelpful and totally unsubstantiated critical comments on this new, elevated highway, your vehicle description including registration details has been shared with the operators with a view to them banning you from using it. I have further suggested that this prohibition be extended to your using any and all newly expanded, elevated and motorway-grade highways across the Kingdom until such time as you mercifully expire, naturally or otherwise.

Through my extensive contacts with the US DoD, your GPS devices will also be geoblocked. All of them.

Thusly, with your penchant to insist that drive times are now the same as they were +20 years ago "when it was free", you have been recommended to do it like Charles Aznavour sang, "In The Old Fashioned Way" and take Highway 2 south and THROUGH Korat (do NOT use the bypass), onwards to Saraburi and down past Don Meuang (do NOT use the elevated portions) into Bangkok (aiming for 5 PM rush-hour) and thread your way via Petchburi onto Sukhumvit and ultimately on to Highway 3 (the non-elevated bit) through Chonburi (no bypassing allowed), Sri Racha and into Pattaya. You have been permitted a rather gracious 72-hours to complete this mission that should include piss-stops. Please note that your incontinence is totally your responsibility to address but we can recommend the adult pampers on special at Big C at the moment.

Finally, the Highways Department would appreciate an unbiased and factual, written assessment of your 'that was then, this is now' comparison.

UM forum members less so.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 10, 2020, 7:59 pm

Holy Mary, mother of Jesus. =;

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 10, 2020, 10:39 pm

That is a really comprehensive, colourful and informative reply, and as good as as any I have ever seen,
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » March 11, 2020, 1:37 am

What did he post? Statts writes bollocks about new Thai roads?
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » March 11, 2020, 9:28 am

oh he extolled the speed in which you could get from Udon to Bangkok 20 years ago.. That was towards the end of the Thai recession when there were minimal vehicles on the road and millions less vehicles than today. There also were no Thai Police with radar or speed traps every 50-60km.. You could drive 120kph or more easily.. Add to that the fact that the pavement structure at that time was pretty good other than the last 100km on the 8 lane going into BKK which other than the passing lane was beat to nonsense... The best time I ever had was 5 1/2 hours.. Of course it wasn't a Thai holiday or weekend...
Dave

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 11, 2020, 9:46 am

FrazeeDK wrote:
March 11, 2020, 9:28 am
oh he extolled the speed in which you could get from Udon to Bangkok 20 years ago.. That was towards the end of the Thai recession when there were minimal vehicles on the road and millions less vehicles than today. There also were no Thai Police with radar or speed traps every 50-60km.. You could drive 120kph or more easily.. Add to that the fact that the pavement structure at that time was pretty good other than the last 100km on the 8 lane going into BKK which other than the passing lane was beat to ****... The best time I ever had was 5 1/2 hours.. Of course it wasn't a Thai holiday or weekend...
Very true.

IMO the main roads and highways here are for the most part pretty good and getting better ,, which is just as well with the amount of vehicles nowadays, lots of PTT stations etc .. alas many of the B roads are blooming awful even with what seems like constant repair the authorities never get on top of them .. issues like the crazy weather, the obvious coruption that goes on and sub standard construction n materials have got to be factors as to why the Band rural roads are so crap.

Driving to BKK this evening .. will post my experiences , as info last two trips been nabbed by cameras ..they are all over the place now ..... more or less every built up area on HW 2 between Udon and Korat has them as well as some spots inbetween... i even got pimped on the Rat Krabang expressway going into Rama 9 n Ekamai at 3am in the morning 129 in a 120 n i was the only vehicle on it :( ... trouble is on these good roads dont realise the speed creeps up until the postman drops the fine off a week later.

DM

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 11, 2020, 10:16 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
March 11, 2020, 9:46 am

Driving to BKK this evening .. will post my experiences , as info last two trips been nabbed by cameras ..they are all over the place now ..... more or less every built up area on HW 2 between Udon and Korat has them as well as some spots inbetween... i even got pimped on the Rat Krabang expressway going into Rama 9 n Ekamai at 3am in the morning 129 in a 120 n i was the only vehicle on it :( ... trouble is on these good roads dont realise the speed creeps up until the postman drops the fine off a week later.

DM
For us normally law abiding citizens, who may be tempted to "accidentaly" exceed the speed limit,

- how much is the fine?

- is there any indication that the often talked about demerit points system is in place?

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 11, 2020, 6:05 pm

jackspratt wrote:
March 11, 2020, 10:16 am
Drunk Monkey wrote:
March 11, 2020, 9:46 am

DM
For us normally :^o law abiding citizens, who may be tempted to :^o :^o "accidentaly" exceed the speed limit,

- how much is the fine? depending on the zone 200 to 500 bt if chosen not to contest which is the best option if the pictures including the reg plate are not clear. Or have a police friend who can scrub em off the computer :shock:

- is there any indication that the often talked about demerit points system is in place? NO

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » March 14, 2020, 8:22 pm

Jut back from a long ish delivery trip n must say the roads very quiet no real holdups ... alas .. not sure but i reckon i got busted on the Chalong Rat elevated expressway just off motorway 9.. see what the postman brings ?? Im sure Jacksprat would like to have me stripped naked n bull whipped in Bang Dung square on market day if it proves correct.

Udon to Bkk 6 n half hrs ..Korat BPI upper highway levl still semi open.
Bkk to Buriram 4 n half hrs via HW 24 Nang Rong in the back door!!
Buriram to Ubon via Sisaket 3 hrs
Buriram to Udon via MSK n Somdet/Kalasin 4hrs

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » August 8, 2020, 12:33 pm

Is it open?

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » August 8, 2020, 1:23 pm

No not as of last week .

Im heading down that way next week , for the most part It is finished but locals say it wont open fully till late this year.

DM

Return to “Travel & Transport”