Utapao T2

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
joepai
udonmap.com

Utapao T2

Post by joepai » August 24, 2018, 10:31 am

Departed Utapao to Udon from the new terminal (T2) for the first time. No problems and all went smooth but would have thought they would have made the terminal bigger for the expected(?) increase in traffic that the new economic zone is suppose to bring

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Utapao T2

Post by tamada » August 24, 2018, 10:48 am

Good to know it's open at last. The crowds in the old departures makes queuing for the bus a bit of a chore even on light load days. Yes, the whole terminal is way undersized for the passenger loads they are predicting. Even if they get half of those, it will be a jam.

PS. Did you notice if the new parking opposite has been completed yet? Last time it was open, free but incomplete and totally unregulated with the entrance and exits unmarked so eedjits were driving all over the shop.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » August 24, 2018, 6:05 pm

joepai wrote:
August 24, 2018, 10:31 am
Departed Utapao to Udon from the new terminal (T2) for the first time. No problems and all went smooth but would have thought they would have made the terminal bigger for the expected(?) increase in traffic that the new economic zone is suppose to bring
Can I ask which airline did you fly with

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 24, 2018, 9:05 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
August 24, 2018, 6:05 pm
joepai wrote:
August 24, 2018, 10:31 am
Can I ask which airline did you fly with

pipoz4444
AFAIK only AirAsia fly Udon - Pattaya. Down to 1 flight/day at the moment but hopefully back up to a couple when the weather gets better.

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » August 25, 2018, 8:49 am

As Tamada said, Air Asia and yes always full with just the one flight in the morning - when will other carriers realise the Udon/Pattaya route is profitable

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 25, 2018, 12:17 pm

joepai wrote:
August 25, 2018, 8:49 am
As Tamada said, Air Asia and yes always full with just the one flight in the morning - when will other carriers realise the Udon/Pattaya route is profitable
Chiang Mai-based Kan Air briefly served the U-Tapao - Udon route a few years back, using ATR turboprops. I never flew them but Mrs tam and tam Jr. did several times as it was cheap (if you had someone to drop you off or pick you up at U-Tapao!) and efficient; not too early or late in the day and only one delayed departure from U-Tapao due to a torrential downpour. On her last flight, she commented that the service may not last much longer as she was one of only 3 other passengers onboard and one of them was our son.

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » August 26, 2018, 9:05 am

I agree Kan Air was very good, I flew with them a few times. Their in flight meals were excellent and you had a choice !
Being prop planes the journey time was more but that was compensated by them flying much lower and one could actually make out features on the ground you were flying over which as interesting
It was not the number that stopped them - although I agree very few people used them - but the Government as they were not licensed to fly a scheduled route to Udon

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » August 26, 2018, 4:39 pm

joepai wrote:
August 25, 2018, 8:49 am
Thanks Guys

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » January 30, 2023, 8:48 am

Thailand is investing nearly 300 billion baht ($8.82 billion) in its aviation city project, known as U-Tapao 'Eastern Aviation City.'
Attachments
Aviation city 2.jpg

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » January 30, 2023, 10:13 am

Thai airways had a huge aviation maintenance facility there a few years back. Its gone now. Don't know if it was a tussle over AOT/Thai Navy rental fees or the airport expansion forcing out that large hangar and ramp.
Dave

Return to “Travel & Transport”