Loei

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
joepai
udonmap.com

Loei

Post by joepai » September 30, 2020, 4:07 pm

Off to Loei for a few days - any recommendations for restaurants (and things to do) ?

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: Loei

Post by stattointhailand » September 30, 2020, 4:18 pm

Play golf
side trip to phu rua
meal on a raft in the resevoir/lake
visit bars
visit market for local mushrooms
visit Lao girl brothels (assuming they haven't all gone home)

Then on day 2

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » September 30, 2020, 5:48 pm

Chian khan is a very nice old Thai town .. for a day trip within your trip ... love the place authenic thai streets shops n eateries n a river front for a stroll.
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 30, 2020, 11:04 pm

Chiangkhan for a day/night, then follow the Mekong route and mountains to Phurua for a night

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 1, 2020, 10:29 am

go during the week to avoid Thai tourists that flood in on the weekends. Avoid those announced long weekend government holidays coming up next month.
Dave

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » October 1, 2020, 12:17 pm

If it helps and only my opinion.
We spent a few nights with Chiang Khan as a base a few months back. I had originally booked a hotel in Loei City itself, but concluded that the city itself didn't offer much in the way of attractions although, having been there on several occasions previously, there were some nice restaurants to be found. I think the beauty of Loei is essentially in the mountains, along the Mekong and the scenery/views.
Covid had caused the closure of many parks/viewing areas and I'm not sure if that's still the case, or there's been some relaxation. I recall there was a new place being built with, I think, a 'skywalk'. Now that was due to open as of this month. Our best outings were probably to places on the Mekong. One had a beach, all the usual food outlets in bamboo salas, very popular,but you need reasonable weather. My son and many other kids enjoyed floating down in the current in those rubber inner tubes. Another well-known place had, in part, a pebble beach with stones of all colours and sizes and a easy, not 'in your face' shopping area.
Chiang Khan is pleasant, right on the Mekong with great views, but I can't but feel a bit over-rated. Certainly had some lovely old buildings, but give the Thai a market and food and that seems to earn a 'wow' factor. Walking St was quiet, even on the Saturday and, of course, the foreign element is missing - and would be still. There were one or two things you wouldn't perhaps see elsewhere, but a fair amount of the norm you'd see in any market. A couple of good restaurants. Good food and value.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » October 1, 2020, 1:44 pm

Around Phu Kradueng is nice if you're that far south.

If you're fit, the walk to the top is an experience

joepai
udonmap.com

Post by joepai » October 1, 2020, 5:43 pm

Many thanks for all the suggestions but I am only talking about Loei - have been to Chiang Khan etc and just fancy 3 or 4 days in Loei town to relax
I was born with nothing and still have most of it left

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 1, 2020, 6:05 pm

I remember staying at the Kinge Hotel in Loei for a few days around 10 years or so ago. It was designed differently than most hotels with a lot of open spaces. There is/was Thai open air eating market about a five minute walk from the hotel which has tasty Thai food. Drop the e from the name of the Hotel, and you get the correct spelling.

Leaving town to get on the highway back to Khon Kaen, there is a fairly steep hill. Across the highway is a good place to get your hair cut. It was still there a couple of years ago.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » October 1, 2020, 9:13 pm

I know Loei can be pretty "laid back" at times, but surely there must be other things to do there before "getting a haircut" even appears on the list, let alone gets anywhere near the top of it

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 2, 2020, 1:09 am

Not when its your wife getting her hair done at an old friend's place. The gossip/catching up is more important than getting the actual perm or at least it is of equal importance.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » October 2, 2020, 10:35 am

I live about 50 kilometers south of Loei city. Loei does have a Big C, Tesco Lotus a Makro and some of the large home improvement stores. As far as the city itself, it is a place where you can see genuine authentic Thainess. In other words, boring, at least to me. No nightlife to speak of.

A word about Phukradueng. for years the government has wanted to build a chairlift going to the top of the mountain. The locals continue to oppose it, so it has not happened. Unless you are very fit, it is not likely you will want to make the eight kilometer uphill hike. It is a lovely area. There are porters available who will actually carry you to the top.

Loei immigration is in Chiang Khan so I get up there at least five times a year. It too is the place to see the genuine Thailand. I have walked around but it is not a place that I find that interesting. Once you have seen the big river, you can say that you have been there and done that.

My favorite place in the area is called Thailand Kun Ming. It is a beautiful place and I meet a friend up there every two weeks for lunch. there is a nature trail that offers tours. It involves a fairly long walk but is well worth the effort. Here is a link that explains it. Further down the road from there is a small scenic waterfall that amazingly runs year round.

https://thestayguesthouse.com/kun-ming-muang-loei-4/

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » October 2, 2020, 10:43 am

Wasn't aware the OP had a perm that needed attention, I assumed you were referring to a barbers shop :-k

Strange people these wives, they seem to get some kind of adrenaline rush when visiting hairdressers, manicurists and clothes shops :confused: :confused: I mean they get so excited, anybody would think they were going to the footy or a beer festival or something :shock:

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » October 2, 2020, 10:54 am

glalt wrote:
October 2, 2020, 10:35 am

My favorite place in the area is called Thailand Kun Ming. It is a beautiful place and I meet a friend up there every two weeks for lunch. there is a nature trail that offers tours. It involves a fairly long walk but is well worth the effort. Here is a link that explains it. Further down the road from there is a small scenic waterfall that amazingly runs year round.

https://thestayguesthouse.com/kun-ming-muang-loei-4/
Concur. We enjoy going to Thailand Kun Ming. There are some very nice photo opportunities and the nature trail walk is quite pleasant. A little hidden gem that is well worth visiting.

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » October 2, 2020, 11:43 am

Thanks for including the link. It has provided some great options on our next visit to the Loei region.

Return to “Travel & Transport”