Roads in and around UDON

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Roads in and around UDON

Post by Drunk Monkey » October 17, 2020, 8:28 am

Just back after a few days away and first thing i noticed was that the new road lay out slap bang outside the airport is nearing completion .. both sides have been widened from Udons most famous intersection to the new PTT station on the corner ...which is the point of most concern as it has now become a major bottle neck where the new wide road abruptly stops and goes into a sharp 90 degree bend which will cause tailbacks ... the new area has helped the school traffic parking wise but all the busy food vendors out side the 7 11 have been lost .

The next phase is the re surfacing of favourite ...the intersection of dreams ..RR /AP T junction .. its gonna get messy for a while very soon...but fear not DM will be on hand to offer updates :shock: :D

Re surfacing of the RR outside Maliwan villas seems to have stopped .. and remains better than previous but stretches of the road still unfinished.... IF ONLY Udon had a Khun Newin and the roads were as in Buriram .. the investment in infrastructure there just keeps rolling on unabated regardless of pandemics etc ... not as in Udon where its more of a stutter.

DM

Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Re: Roads in and around UDON

Post by semperfiguy » October 17, 2020, 9:05 am

I have lived in Udon Thani now for over 10 years, and for the most part I have seen little to no repair of secondary roads or small neighborhood roads. With this years heavy rainy season the roads are a mess with dangerous cracks and potholes. It would seem to me that the Dept. of Transportation would have certain employees responsible for driving around the city day after day to spot areas that need repair and then order them to be fixed; however, knowing what little emphasis the Thais place on the maintenance of anything, I doubt that anyone is actually looking for ways to spend money that could be going into some bigshot's back pocket.

Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » October 17, 2020, 9:08 am

semperfiguy wrote:
October 17, 2020, 9:05 am
I have lived in Udon Thani now for over 10 years, and for the most part I have seen little to no repair of secondary roads or small neighborhood roads. With this years heavy rainy season the roads are a mess with dangerous cracks and potholes. It would seem to me that the Dept. of Transportation would have certain employees responsible for driving around the city day after day to spot areas that need repair and then order them to be fixed; however, knowing what little emphasis the Thais place on the maintenance of anything, I doubt that anyone is actually looking for ways to spend money that could be going into some bigshot's back pocket.

Agree 110%,Thai and mantenece is not be applyed in the same sentence ;)

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 17, 2020, 9:40 am

Ah yes, the super-wide, "Welcome to Udon" airport avenue... all 300 meters of it! I wonder when the airport entrance traffic lights will be going in?

Not much of a rainy season this year and defo not "heavy" IMHO.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » October 17, 2020, 9:44 am

tamada wrote:
October 17, 2020, 9:40 am
Ah yes, the super-wide, "Welcome to Udon" airport avenue... all 300 meters of it! I wonder when the airport entrance traffic lights will be going in?

Agree super new hello udon road chops down into a single lane sharp righ hander at the PTT station .. , new lights for sure will be installed which MAY help, ..the one big benefit is to the school , chaotic triple parking SHOULD cease.

Maybe not in Udon Tammy .. elsewhere in isaan its been very wet.

btw heavy equipment moving onto the intersection of dreams as i type .. should i reinstate my daily update ? i know you loved them before .

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 17, 2020, 12:23 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
October 17, 2020, 9:44 am
tamada wrote:
October 17, 2020, 9:40 am

Agree super new hello udon road chops down into a single lane sharp righ hander at the PTT station .. , new lights for sure will be installed which MAY help, ..the one big benefit is to the school , chaotic triple parking SHOULD cease.

Maybe not in Udon Tammy .. elsewhere in isaan its been very wet.

btw heavy equipment moving onto the intersection of dreams as i type .. should i reinstate my daily update ? i know you loved them before .

DM
I noticed that somewhere around the 7-eleven and heading east towards the ring-road, the central reservation rapidly broadens, dropping the road to 2-lanes and is a bit of a bugger to see at night. I guess the yet to be installed motorway-grade lighting will fix that.

Beyond the heavy downpours following TS Sinlaku in early August that drookit Buriram and caused flash flooding in southern Loei, it's been another drier than normal wet season. Looking at the reservoir water levels nationwide confirms this.

http://www.thaiwater.net/DATA/REPORT/ph ... hp?lang=en

It looks like Wachiralongkorn reservoir has picked up 10% in the past couple of months but still no chance of Bangkok drowning this year (dammit!).

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ngkorn-dam

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 17, 2020, 2:25 pm

Road Maintenance? I guess the question is who is responsible? The National Routes seem to get reoccurring repair and rebuilds funded by the Central Government. Out on 22 you have the big "Rural Roads" headquarters and compound.. I reckon they do the numbered "Rural Roads." As for village roads I don't know if that is further divided up between the bigger roads and the little sois.. I know over here on the east side near the horse racing course roads have been paved out of Tessaban (Tambon/District) monies that seem to be delegated down to the Village Chief. Other larger roads seems to be contracted out directly by the Tessaban although I certainly don't know who is doing the contract inspections upon completion.... Some anti-flood road raising/concreting and drainage ditches seem to be a special project and didn't get the usual 2 meter by 2 meter sign showing who authorized it and how much was paid.
Dave

Return to “Travel & Transport”