Summer travel to/from the UK

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Summer travel to/from the UK

Post by tamada » June 11, 2022, 2:35 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
June 11, 2022, 2:24 pm
samster wrote:
June 11, 2022, 1:50 pm
Thanks for update STW. I'm travelling from Manc in a couple of weeks so, will update then for others.

As Tam says, time of flights is an important factor - unfortunately my flight is about 9.40AM so, might be an issue.

Were you fast track through immigration?
In the U.K. it’s just scan your boarding pass, there was nobody waiting, but yes on fast track, very few flights checking in when I did, so almost certainly not a class factor.

In Thailand I probably could have been due to age but due to there being no signage I was in general population, there was either 1 or 2 people ahead of me in my lane but with it going to two IOs no waiting.
tamada wrote:
June 11, 2022, 9:37 am

Nice trip. I think the flight departure times and class of travel are factors though. The bulk of UK's flight woes are in the mornings with the LCC's, tour operators and regional and inter-European flights.
I’ll agree with the flight times on immigration but highly doubt that class of travel had any influence on that.

For boarding the aircraft class of travel was, absolutely, the reason for no waiting. But the economy group was going at the same speed and queue time as always. The slowest would be BKK -> DOH flight but that is due to the approximately 700 economy passengers getting on 1 plane.

I’m actually in the Amari across from DMK as SWMBO said I needed to spend the money to get a shower and few hours sleep. I’ll update on air Asia economy domestic DMK -> KKC in a few hours time if there is any interest
You were flying long(er) haul though.

The travelers most caught up in the debacle at MAN appear to be the one-class-fits-all that fly on smaller Tui or Wizzair airplanes to Benidorm and the Algarve. I can't honestly say if Ryanair have been mentioned in dispatches. They are usually the low bar of low-cost, no-frills regional European air travel regardless of the time of year.

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 11, 2022, 3:03 pm

tamada wrote:
June 11, 2022, 2:35 pm

You were flying long(er) haul though.
Absolutely. I make / made no comments on anything but my experience.

I’m sure that time of day and airline (terminal number) has a significant influence.

I don’t know what I didn’t see.

These flights were the easiest through the airports than the hundreds I flew pre-pandemic and yes I have very occasionally flown on the same class with longer waiting times.

Flight Class was only influential on where I was waiting and the quantities and types of C2H5OH consumed from checking in to final destination.
D5721E1E-6F3F-4084-8B1F-A663E0B7CF44.jpeg
LHR was the quietest airport of them all.
Attachments
2E1EA34B-B87C-4669-AD2B-1AB5173288A6.jpeg
22787DD5-DDA8-4F96-A33B-9D8A5CACAD2F.jpeg
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » June 13, 2022, 10:04 pm

Applied for Thailand Pass 2 hours ago for return to LOS in a couple of weeks. Issued already with an additional warning document for Monkeypox. Great service.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » June 20, 2022, 6:53 am

If anyone's interested. Eva are doing good deals for direct return flights for Sept/Oct. Under 30,000 baht.
Convenient take-off and landing times at BKK.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 24, 2022, 9:50 pm

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » June 25, 2022, 6:06 am

Scoot experience not good,
Late boarding, Sat on the Tarmac for 4 hours, Flight nearly cancelled due to crew working hours, pre booked food only fit for the bin, no trolley service, refreshments very limited, couldn't even get a coffee.
Cheap Ticket, economy class, plane full of Backpackers.
Missed my connecting flight in Bangkok, Hotel, Taxis, Rebook new flight to Udon, Cheap ticket no longer cheap.
Positives, Cabin Crew helpful and polite, 40kg Luggage, Non stop flight.
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 25, 2022, 9:07 am

BillaRickaDickay wrote:
June 25, 2022, 6:06 am
Late boarding, Sat on the Tarmac for 4 hours, Flight nearly cancelled due to crew working hours, pre booked food only fit for the bin, no trolley service, refreshments very limited, couldn't even get a coffee.
Missed my connecting flight in Bangkok, Hotel, Taxis, Rebook new flight to Udon, Cheap ticket no longer cheap.
Thanks for the update. From your earlier post, the flight to the UK was decent and good value but the return hop to Thailand was a totally different experience. Listening and reading the news, most European airports are pretty awful right now. That 40 kg allowance is impressive though. How was the baggage delivery time at BKK?

Ta
tam
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » June 25, 2022, 1:04 pm

I'm braving Manchester airport early Thursday morning. Friends I've spoken to suggest things are a little better but, everyone seems to be reporting delayed flights due to lack of staff.

The other headache has been the transport issues with the prospect of more rail strikes.

Covid is definitely still an issue. Several people I know are or have been down with it over the past month. None seriously ill though.

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » June 25, 2022, 2:17 pm

Be interested to hear how it goes Samster.
..Just waiting for the wifes visa (current average processing time average 6 weeks! Last 3 visas took under 2 weeks each time).

No point booing flights until we get the visa, still deciding on Manchester versus Heathrow.

Been looking at hire cars, my god they are expensive at the moment.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 25, 2022, 2:50 pm

"Been looking at hire cars, my god they are expensive at the moment."

I suspect you will need far more than just god when you need to put fuel in the damn thing :-&

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » June 25, 2022, 4:53 pm

deankham wrote:
June 25, 2022, 2:17 pm

Been looking at hire cars, my god they are expensive at the moment.
Same here. Best I've found is 25 quid a day for a new Fiat 500.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 25, 2022, 5:20 pm

Phone Bobby ....... perhaps he can get you a trade discount :lol:

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 25, 2022, 5:22 pm

Tip: rent a 2-door minivan like this.
Screenshot_20220625-171930~2.png
Shameless
Intack out of Blackburn has a few left, 300 quid a month.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » June 25, 2022, 5:36 pm

tamada wrote:
June 25, 2022, 9:07 am
BillaRickaDickay wrote:
Thanks for the update. From your earlier post, the flight to the UK was decent and good value but the return hop to Thailand was a totally different experience. Listening and reading the news, most European airports are pretty awful right now. That 40 kg allowance is impressive though. How was the baggage delivery time at BKK?

Ta
tam
30mins from plane exit to baggage collection, all good from there onwards, Meter cab needed reminder to turn it on, I always give a good tip as very low paid job, Hotel good (Run by Moo-see's) I've used before, morning cab to Don Mueang no problem with meter, Lionair to Udon, 2700bht including 40kg Luggage.
4 days later and back to my old self, trying to keep up with some of you piss taking bar stewards.
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » June 25, 2022, 6:15 pm

tamada wrote:
June 25, 2022, 5:22 pm

Ideal if your a Gypsy and want to do a bit fly tipping during your holidays.

Actually I did find an interesting company that does a 30 day lease. Prices are much better than renting for 30 days.
..Only problem is I'm not going for 30 days or more.

https://flexed.co.uk/

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 25, 2022, 7:39 pm

^ But my sister's wheelchair fits in the back without too much of a faff. The downside is you may be targeted by the Derbyshire rozzers on the M1 as a drug runner if you're in Derbyshire (on the M1).
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 25, 2022, 7:43 pm

tamada wrote:
June 25, 2022, 7:39 pm
^ But my sister's wheelchair fits in the back without too much of a faff. The downside is you may be targeted by the Derbyshire rozzers on the M1 as a drug runner if you're in Derbyshire (on the M1).
Don't the Derbyshire plods know youve got out of the country :-k

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 25, 2022, 9:45 pm

deankham wrote:
June 25, 2022, 6:15 pm
tamada wrote:
June 25, 2022, 5:22 pm

Ideal if your a Gypsy and want to do a bit fly tipping during your holidays.

Actually I did find an interesting company that does a 30 day lease. Prices are much better than renting for 30 days.
..Only problem is I'm not going for 30 days or more.

https://flexed.co.uk/
Hey! I don't fly tip despite Tyson Fury's brother being a regular at the Lord Longworth round the corner.

Nice find with that leasing company though but how come a black Jag is fifty-five quid more than the other Jags?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 25, 2022, 10:55 pm

BillaRickaDickay wrote:
June 25, 2022, 5:36 pm
tamada wrote:
BillaRickaDickay wrote:

Ta
tam
30mins from plane exit to baggage collection, all good from there onwards, Meter cab needed reminder to turn it on, I always give a good tip as very low paid job, Hotel good (Run by Moo-see's) I've used before, morning cab to Don Mueang no problem with meter, Lionair to Udon, 2700bht including 40kg Luggage.
4 days later and back to my old self, trying to keep up with some of you piss taking bar stewards.
Welcome back. You know where home is.

What hotel did u park at?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » June 26, 2022, 6:28 am

tamada wrote:
June 25, 2022, 10:55 pm
BillaRickaDickay wrote:
June 25, 2022, 5:36 pm
tamada wrote:
BillaRickaDickay wrote:

Ta
tam
Welcome back. You know where home is.

What hotel did u park at?
Cheers,
Park is the operative word, P-Park Residence to be precise, Good if travelling light as just 3 stops from Suvarnabhumi on the SkyTrain, Hua Mak Station and then 10mins walk to Hotel.
7/11 next door, 600bht per night, pre book on Booking.com.

Return to “Travel & Transport”