Bangkok to Udon train

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
kakariki
udonmap.com

Bangkok to Udon train

Post by kakariki » January 13, 2023, 5:48 pm

I travelled from Bangkok to Udon by train last Tuesday as I'd always wanted to do the trip. They only had 3rd class seats on the daily express even though they advertise 1st and 2nd class. Is this the norm, or did I just pick the wrong day.
Thanks Barry

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: Bangkok to Udon train

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 13, 2023, 11:42 pm

kakariki wrote:
January 13, 2023, 5:48 pm
I travelled from Bangkok to Udon by train last Tuesday as I'd always wanted to do the trip. They only had 3rd class seats on the daily express even though they advertise 1st and 2nd class. Is this the norm, or did I just pick the wrong day.
Thanks Barry
You probably chose the free (for Thai’s) train and I’m not sure it’s even on the regular timetable
Train #76 is supposed to have 3rd and 2nd class.
If you want 1st class it’s #26 and the night sleeper
0332E828-30A1-4A48-AAAD-5CE18CCE2A15.jpeg
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

kakariki
udonmap.com

Post by kakariki » January 14, 2023, 10:09 am

OK thanks, I think I was on #76, but reading now maybe I should have been on #75 according to the online booking

SeekingSakYant
udonmap.com

Post by SeekingSakYant » September 5, 2023, 12:01 pm

Love the train ride, smoking between the cars I thought the Ticket Agent was going to make me toss my butt and come back in because he was waving me back inside, he smiled and pointed to a little windowed area with a comfy leather backed seat that others had used to smoke in too lol. Food vendors are very iffy though, i had a lady try to sell me "chicken". It was a still clawed foot only barely cooked and the skin still attached lol. Ate chocolate instead.
Last edited by SeekingSakYant on September 5, 2023, 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"To care for him who shall have borne the Battle, and for his Widow, and his Orphan." -A.Lincoln

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” -Mark Twain

Cambodia is the South East Asian equivalent of Alabama and Louisiana and their cousin humpin Mississippi states of Merica

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » September 5, 2023, 12:32 pm

SeekingSakYant wrote:
September 5, 2023, 12:01 pm
Love the train ride, smoking between the cars I thought the Ticket Agent was going to make me toss my butt and come back in because he was waving me back inside, he smiled and pointed to a little windowed area with a comgy leather backed seat that others had used to smoke in too lol. Food vendors are very iffy though, i had a lady try to sell me "chicken". It was a still clawed foot only barely cooked and the skin still attached lol. Ate chocolate instead.

If they permit smoking on the train, that's a good reason to take the bus or fly
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

SeekingSakYant
udonmap.com

Post by SeekingSakYant » September 5, 2023, 12:40 pm

Rather smoke with my friends in Hell than Sing with the Angels in Heaven hoss!
"To care for him who shall have borne the Battle, and for his Widow, and his Orphan." -A.Lincoln

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” -Mark Twain

Cambodia is the South East Asian equivalent of Alabama and Louisiana and their cousin humpin Mississippi states of Merica

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » September 5, 2023, 12:56 pm

SeekingSakYant wrote:
September 5, 2023, 12:40 pm
Rather smoke with my friends in Hell than Sing with the Angels in Heaven hoss!
Good luck with that!

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » September 5, 2023, 7:52 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
September 5, 2023, 12:32 pm
SeekingSakYant wrote:
Love the train ride, smoking between the cars I thought the Ticket Agent was going to make me toss my butt and come back in because he was waving me back inside, he smiled and pointed to a little windowed area with a comgy leather backed seat that others had used to smoke in too lol. Food vendors are very iffy though, i had a lady try to sell me "chicken". It was a still clawed foot only barely cooked and the skin still attached lol. Ate chocolate instead.

If they permit smoking on the train, that's a good reason to take the bus or fly
So LYM,If YOU Don't Smoke Get the Bloody Bus Yer only Selfish.....

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » September 6, 2023, 7:36 pm

747man wrote:
September 5, 2023, 7:52 pm
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
SeekingSakYant wrote:

We take the car; however, previously I got around Thailand, Burma, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam and Malaysia mostly by bus. Not selfish, 747, I just detest the smell of tobacco on my clothes and hair. Cigarette smoke stinks.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 7, 2023, 12:56 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
September 6, 2023, 7:36 pm
747man wrote:
September 5, 2023, 7:52 pm
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
SeekingSakYant wrote:

We take the car; however, previously I got around Thailand, Burma, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam and Malaysia mostly by bus. Not selfish, 747, I just detest the smell of tobacco on my clothes and hair. Cigarette smoke stinks.
Screenshot_20230907-135316~2.png
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 7, 2023, 5:05 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
September 6, 2023, 7:36 pm
Cigarette smoke stinks.
As much as inane memes do?

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » September 7, 2023, 5:10 pm

No, not that much.

David Chop
udonmap.com

Post by David Chop » September 21, 2023, 2:14 pm

The first and second class cars tend to get booked up early (I don't know, a week or so ahead maybe?) so if you wait until the last minute your usually stuck with either 3rd class or taking the night train.

[edit] Less than a week. I just bought a 2nd class on the morning train BKK -> Udon two days ahead. There were only a few left, but it wasn't sold out yet.

Return to “Travel & Transport”