International Driving License Available in Udon or Issan?

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
jingjai
udonmap.com

International Driving License Available in Udon or Issan?

Post by jingjai » July 27, 2007, 10:36 am

I have a Thai Driving License. I want to get a international license.
Is there anywhere in Udon or Issan area that issues them?

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » July 27, 2007, 11:09 am

supposedly, the thai license can be translated to english at issuing office, although i know of nobody who has done this, in udon or thailand at all. usa will accept a translated version of thai license, which would be good for me, since my usa license has expired a long time ago.

oops, found site after top part, so apparently BKK or CM land office, hmm, but this is 2004 info.

has anyone done this anywhere in thailand?
http://www.pattayaexpatsclub.com/thaidrivinglicense.htm

Obtaining an Int'l Drivers License in Thailand...

(many thanks to Jay, September 2004)

I recently renewed my Thai Driver's licenses and am due to head back to the States soon, where I'll need to rent a car. Upon diligently checking the Net, I learned that all car rental agencies will accept the driver's license from one's home of residence (ie Thailand, etc), BUT they do require that you also have an International Driver's License (IDL), for identification. I believe this info also applies to Europe & Australasia. An IDL alone is NOT a valid driver's license, it is merely a translation of your foreign license for identification purposes. After all, what police officer would be able to read Thai, or whatever? I've read some claims that an IDL alone is valid for driving, but it is NOT! An IDL is available in Bangkok, as follows....

Requirements for obtaining an IDL in Thailand:

You must have a valid Thai license, which has been renewed at least once. You cannot use the initial 1-year (green colored) license to obtain an IDL, the 5-year pink color is good. You must also have a non-immigrant type visa, you cannot obtain an IDL in Thailand with a tourist visa (unless you are a local, or hold a Permanent Resident Permit). Applying for an IDL can only be done in Bangkok or Chiang Mai, not in Pattaya/Banglamung. You must apply at one of the major Dept of Land Transportation Offices. I used the main one, not far from the Morchit Bus Station in Bangkok, which is on 1032 Phaholyothin Road, near the Chatuchak (Jatujak) weekend market. It's a 50-Bt motocy ride from the bus station to the Transportation Office. The IDL and driver's license offices are one floor up from entry level.

You need to bring the following documents:

1. Your passport and a photocopy of the picture page, visa, TM6 card and most recent re-entry to Thailand stamp. If you missed anything, they will make copies for 2-Bt/page.

2. Your Thai driver license (if you have m/cycle and car licenses, bring them both), and 2 photocopies of the front and back of each driver's license.

3. The ORIGINAL certificate of residence, which can be obtained from Immigration on Soi-8, or at your Embassy. Immigration currently issues this free and it can be completed and in your hands in an hour.

4. 2-photos about 45cm x 35cm (2"x1.5"). You can also get them at the licensing office for 70-Bt.

5. Fee for the IDL is 505-Bt; license valid for 1-year.

(NOTE: An International Driver's License is NOT valid in the country of issue!)

(A 'TM6 card' refers to the Immigration Departure card attached to your passport during your stay in Thailand. It has a reference number (TM6) that tells where & when you entered Thailand)

Loaded
udonmap.com

Post by Loaded » July 27, 2007, 12:08 pm

I got one in 2002 when I lived in Phuket, but

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » July 27, 2007, 12:19 pm

Got this off the US Embassy website:

If you reside in Bangkok, you may contact the main office of the Department of Land Transport (Tel: 0-2272-3614-6) or one of the 4 branch offices:

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » July 27, 2007, 2:08 pm

Definately get the Int Drivers licence in BKK opposite JJ Market, saw the special counter and english signs etc once u get inside the building.

I was shown that section , thinking i was trying to get one, but was actually trying to renew my thai driving licence.

Doesnt take long for the Int if the queue is short , bring photos, Passport with ur visa , original driving licence from your country of domicile , then prepare to copy what ever they want a copy of ( same old story for any Thai government dealings )

Photcopy unit is available...

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » July 27, 2007, 2:35 pm

The requirement for an residence statement seems redundant since this is already required to obtain the Thai driving license. I would be interested in hearing whether this is actually required.

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » July 27, 2007, 2:39 pm

Thanks everyone for the info!

Loaded
udonmap.com

Post by Loaded » July 27, 2007, 4:38 pm

rickfarang wrote:The requirement for an residence statement seems redundant since this is already required to obtain the Thai driving license. I would be interested in hearing whether this is actually required.
5 years ago it was required. You

Return to “Travel & Transport”