expired passport

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
dill
udonmap.com

expired passport

Post by dill » February 1, 2008, 6:33 am

had a mate which was sepose to be leaving with jetstar yesterday,he was denied to board the plane yesterday due to not having 6 months left in his passort he told them that he had still 4 months untill the expiry date but they told them that he could not board because he did not have 6 month,my question is why have a expiry date on there or why not state on the passport that it will not be valid when you have less than 6 months left untill the expiry.
he must also told me that the airline jetstar did not want to know him and told him that he will not get his money back and send him away.
i have heard that this relevantly new airline has been a customers nightmare with alot or occasion them overbooking customers and then telling them that they can not get you on these flights untill the following day,and also the food prices are a joke etc. 1 pie is $9 dollars.
it might be a low cost airplane but in the end you pay more than the higher rate on the other aiplanes that is why i stick with thai airways.
have never had a problem in the last ten years and only about 150 dollars more than the low cost airline.

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » February 1, 2008, 8:25 am

I think you'll find it's not the passport that is the problem it's the airline. The passport is valid until the expiry so there's no need to any warnings in it. The warning if any should come from the airline when the tickets are purchased, you'll probably find there is a statement in the T&C's small print somewhere.

Not sure but it could be linked to how long you are allowed to stay in the country you are intending to fly to. Guess they wouldn't want visitors/tourists entering their country then having their passport run out with a possibility of overstay or even worse illegal immigration.

Have no prsonal experience of Jetstar.....

marshallb66
udonmap.com

Post by marshallb66 » February 1, 2008, 8:43 am

Due to my work in the Oil drilling industry, I travel extensively around Asia and the middle east. I also arrange visa

dizbuster

Re: expired passport

Post by dizbuster » February 1, 2008, 11:45 am

dill wrote:had a mate which was sepose to be leaving with jetstar yesterday,he was denied to board the plane yesterday due to not having 6 months left in his passort he told them that he had still 4 months untill the expiry date but they told them that he could not board because he did not have 6 month,my question is why have a expiry date on there or why not state on the passport that it will not be valid when you have less than 6 months left untill the expiry.
he must also told me that the airline jetstar did not want to know him and told him that he will not get his money back and send him away.
i have heard that this relevantly new airline has been a customers nightmare with alot or occasion them overbooking customers and then telling them that they can not get you on these flights untill the following day,and also the food prices are a joke etc. 1 pie is $9 dollars.
it might be a low cost airplane but in the end you pay more than the higher rate on the other aiplanes that is why i stick with thai airways.
have never had a problem in the last ten years and only about 150 dollars more than the low cost airline.
If you are saying that a mate of yours had a problem entering Thailand with only 4 months on his/her passport until expiry, then this is common practice and a new passport is required.

However, you state "...to be leaving with jetstar ...". If he/her is holding a foreign passport and leaving Thailand to return home, then there is no restriction and your mate will be allowed to fly.

Your post sounds to me that it's more aimed at having dig at the low cost carriers, especially as you go on to sing Thai Airway's praises at the end of your post.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » February 1, 2008, 3:42 pm

Last year my wife had her flight rejected for less than six months left on passport by Tiger. Her inbound to Thailand was fine but her return to Oz was rejected. We contacted them and said while in Thailand she would renew her passport before returning to Oz, but the airline refused to give her a return ticket without at least six months left on it. A pain in the bum, but "rules is rules " :D

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » February 1, 2008, 4:10 pm

As a very frequent international traveller, this rule of minimum of 6 months expiry on your travelling passport has always been there, its not an airline policy, but that of the immigration departments of most countries. They empower the airlines to enforce it and will fine them, etc , as well as checking for a return ticket back out of Thailand etc.

I got rejected at Brisbane last year by Qantas staff working for the TG flight, i have 2 passports and trying to explain to them that i have an electronic ticket , from BKK to London in 2 weeks time ,had the printed details but no proof of payment for the print out just causes major issues.

Showed them my house book, ( Thai font ) and that means nothing to them, as the Visa i needed to show them, was in the old passport held at the Embassy , together with the letters to Thai Immigration to transfer my visa over to the new passport etc....

Bottom line , bought a new ticket ( fully refundable etc ) at the airport, and then cancelled it once in the Star Alliance lounge.

Krukan
udonmap.com

Post by Krukan » February 1, 2008, 7:18 pm

If you fly from Stockholm with any airline -even Thai Airways- to Thailand and you have a passport which will expire in less then 6 months, they wont let you go onboard. It has nothing to do with the airline company.
My english sucks.

Ba Bob
udonmap.com

Post by Ba Bob » February 1, 2008, 8:54 pm

From the Royal Thai consulate website

"ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS

ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS
Passport holders of the following countries listed below who hold either permanent or temporary Australian resident visas are required to comply with the visa process as follows: (processing time is up to 5 working days)

To apply for a visa, a passport with validity not less than 6 months and the fee are required;
- Tourist visa is $45.00 for single entry, $90.00 for double entry.
- Transit Visa is $35.00 for single entry, $70 for double entry.
- Non-immigrant is $90.00 for single entry, $225.00 for multiple entries."

Cant see why it would be a different rule for a Visa on arrival so i don't think it would be the airline.

As for Jetstars prices. you can get a flight from $900 return and there specials can be cheaper but yes you have to pay for food.

Also as people found out in Melbourne only last night if the airport is closed and it is out of Jetstars hands you must look after yourself as they dont put you up for the night. So you need to read the fine print.

Ba Bob
udonmap.com

Post by Ba Bob » February 1, 2008, 8:55 pm

dill
udonmap.com

Post by dill » February 2, 2008, 6:24 am

dizbuster wrote:
dill wrote:had a mate which was sepose to be leaving with jetstar yesterday,he was denied to board the plane yesterday due to not having 6 months left in his passort he told them that he had still 4 months untill the expiry date but they told them that he could not board because he did not have 6 month,my question is why have a expiry date on there or why not state on the passport that it will not be valid when you have less than 6 months left untill the expiry.
If you are saying that a mate of yours had a problem entering Thailand with only 4 months on his/her passport until expiry, then this is common practice and a new passport is required.

However, you state "...to be leaving with jetstar ...". If he/her is holding a foreign passport and leaving Thailand to return home, then there is no restriction and your mate will be allowed to fly.

Your post sounds to me that it's more aimed at having dig at the low cost carriers, especially as you go on to sing Thai Airway's praises at the end of your post.
get of your horse mate
i have never had a dig at any company due to it being a low cost carrier.
and i praised thai airways due to i personally never have had any problems with them.
and also i reallise that the rull was their in place but it is just the way they went about the whole situation ,that he was so upset.
they just could not care less and just wanted to get him out of the doors without even finding a solution like a emergency passport or a reissue.

dill
udonmap.com

Post by dill » February 2, 2008, 6:29 am

Ba Bob wrote:From the Royal Thai consulate website

"ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS

ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS
Passport holders of the following countries listed below who hold either permanent or temporary Australian resident visas are required to comply with the visa process as follows: (processing time is up to 5 working days)

To apply for a visa, a passport with validity not less than 6 months and the fee are required;
- Tourist visa is $45.00 for single entry, $90.00 for double entry.
- Transit Visa is $35.00 for single entry, $70 for double entry.
- Non-immigrant is $90.00 for single entry, $225.00 for multiple entries."

Cant see why it would be a different rule for a Visa on arrival so i don't think it would be the airline.

As for Jetstars prices. you can get a flight from $900 return and there specials can be cheaper but yes you have to pay for food.

Also as people found out in Melbourne only last night if the airport is closed and it is out of Jetstars hands you must look after yourself as they dont put you up for the night. So you need to read the fine print.
why is it that other low cost airline like virgin blue put their customers up in a hotel at that, same incident.

seems to me that the fine prints are not worth the paper they are being writen on

dill
udonmap.com

Post by dill » February 2, 2008, 6:34 am

i forgot to mention that he was to board at melbourne airport not in thailand

Ba Bob
udonmap.com

Post by Ba Bob » February 2, 2008, 8:43 am

[/quote]seems to me that the fine prints are not worth the paper they are being writen on[/quote]

seems they are at Jetstar lol

Miruku
udonmap.com

Post by Miruku » February 2, 2008, 9:52 am

In 2002 I was to board a plane from Melbourne to Argentina to Singapore and then Japan. The travel agent and the airline didn't warn me, but the emigration guy at the airport as I was leaving, told me that I would not be admitted to Singapore even as a transit passenger, nor to Japan as there was only 2 months remaining on my passport.

Thanks to that alert, I applied for and was issued (within 24 hours) with a new 10 year passport by the Australian embassy in Buenos Aires. I am reminded of that near miss every time I have to enter my passport details on travel documents.

dizbuster

Post by dizbuster » February 9, 2008, 10:10 pm

dill wrote:get of your horse mate...
No horse, just a bar stool.

I made the comment as that is the way your post reads, you slag off low cost carriers and then praise Thai airways in post that is supposed to be about travelling with less than 6 months validity left on your passport.

Perhaps you should get off yours ??

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » February 10, 2008, 7:27 am

play nice 8)

Miruku
udonmap.com

Post by Miruku » February 10, 2008, 8:52 am

From my experience, I believe that anybody caught up in a governmental problem such as passport/ visa emergencies, should immediately contact DFAT Canberra in the Australian case or the visa officer in the closest overseas post, and ask them for advice and assistance. The staff in the Buenos Aires embassy bent over backwards to issue my new passport within 24 hours (to fit in with my onward travel schedule) and I have found their counterparts in other international cities to be most helpful whenever I have been "stuck" or needed advice.

dill
udonmap.com

Post by dill » February 10, 2008, 11:45 am

Miruku wrote:From my experience, I believe that anybody caught up in a governmental problem such as passport/ visa emergencies, should immediately contact DFAT Canberra in the Australian case or the visa officer in the closest overseas post, and ask them for advice and assistance. The staff in the Buenos Aires embassy bent over backwards to issue my new passport within 24 hours (to fit in with my onward travel schedule) and I have found their counterparts in other international cities to be most helpful whenever I have been "stuck" or needed advice.
yes miruku
i have heard that
but my freind got told it would take 48 hours to get a emergency passport

Return to “Travel & Transport”