Importing Personal and Household Effects

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » April 6, 2008, 9:33 pm

The following was copied from www.customs.go.th/ so I believe it is an acceptable source to plan the import of personal and household effects to Thailand. :D

Personal Effects refer to items clearly identifiable as personal use, such as clothes, shoes, books, etc. These items at the time of his/her entry into the Kingdom of Thailand are exempted from customs duties. However, such items do not include automobiles, weapons and ammunition, and food items.

Personal effects not granted exemption from payment of customs duty

Pets. Pets brought into the Kingdom of Thailand are not exempted from customs duties. A permit must be granted from the Livestock Department prior to the date of entry.

Food. Any person wishing to bring food items into the Kingdom of Thailand must obtain a permit from the Food and Drug Administration, Ministry of Public Health.

Weapons. A permit must be granted from the Department of Provincial Administration.

Automobiles. A permit must be granted from the Commerce Ministry and the Department of Industrial Works, Ministry of Industry.

Household Effects refer to other properties not considered personal effects and which were in the owner’s possession prior to his/her change of residence, such as televisions, refrigerators, air conditioners, household decorations, etc., which have been previously used. In the case of individuals entering the Kingdom of Thailand, only one unit each of such item is eligible for tax and duty free allowance. In the case of a family change of residence, two units each of the items will be allowed to bring in tax and duty free. Items may be imported free of tax. Any excess unit shall be subject to regular taxes and are charged according to the most highly priced unit or the unit subject to duties the highest tax rate respectively.

Items must arrive in the Kingdom of Thailand not more than one month prior to the owner’s arrival or not more than 6 months after his/her arrival and/of the necessary permits are obtained.
Documentation
1. Passport
2. Bill of Lading or Airway Bill
3. Invoice (if any)
4. Delivery Order
5. Inventory or purchase document
6. Customs Permit (if items shipped by air)
7. Identity Card (in the case of personal items)
8. Proof of Change of Residence
8.1 Foreigners must have documentary proof of having received permission to work or reside in Thailand for not less than 1 year. This includes a work permit from the Department of Employment, Labor Ministry, of a visa from the Immigration Department.
8.2 Thai nationals must present proof of having lived abroad for a period of not less than one year.
9. If you are unable to complete these customs procedures yourself, you must provide a letter of proxy appointing someone else to act on your behalf.

Clearance Procedures
1. The importer/agent submits documents for inspection at the Customs Department/port of entry.
2. Customs officials complete importation forms, determine eligibility, and assess duties, if any.
3. Importation forms are returned to the importer/agent bringing goods into the country, who then takes them to be recorded and pay customs duties, if any.
4. Importer/Agent Collects Items from the port of entry.

http://www.customs.go.th/UploadFile/Eng ... 906002.doc

Regarding Thai and foreign currency: Instruction on Import and Export of Goods

1. Currencies

Foreign Currency
• Passengers are allowed to bring in and take out unlimited amount of foreign currency.

Thai Currency
• Inbound passengers are allowed to bring in unlimited amount of Thai currency.
• Outbound passengers traveling to Lao PDR, Myanmar, Cambodia, Malaysia and Vietnam are allowed to take out Thai currency not exceeding 500,000 Baht, but those traveling to other countries are permitted to take out not exceeding 50,000 Baht.

2. Buddha Images
• Buddha images, Bodhisattva images or related fragments, part of ancient monuments and prehistoric objects, are forbidden to be taken out of the Kingdom. Newly cast Buddha images in complete condition can be exported for worship, cultural exchange or educational purposes with licenses issued by the Fine Arts Department. Not more than 5 pieces per person shall be allowed. (More information contact to 0 2628 5033)

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 6, 2008, 10:03 pm

A note of caution.

It is my understanding that the above concessions apply to a limited number of persons eg those with work permits, and returning Thai citizens (there may be more categories).

However, more importantly, it is also my understanding that concession do NOT apply to those coming to Thailand on "retirement visas". This means you are potentially liable for import taxes on both personal effects and household effects. However, as many of us have no doubt discovered over the years, YMMV according to the type of goods, the customs officer assigned to clear your goods etc etc.

The best advice I have seen (and followed) is to make sure you get a good clearing agent for when the goods arrive in Thailand. They seem to have "relationships" with Thai Customs which smooths the path, and hopefully minimises the amount payable, either as duty, or tea money.

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » April 6, 2008, 11:01 pm

Thanks for these comments. ^^

Yes. In the sites section on "Importing Used/Secondhand Household Effects" there is a clause that those entering on retirement visas are not eligible for duty free household goods. It is the following:

"Note : Nonresidents entering into the Kingdom with a non-immigrant visa "code O" who wish to retire in Thailand or accompany spouses of Thai residents are not qualified for (1)."

Found at: http://www.customs.go.th/Customs-Eng/Ho ... equirement

I believe that personal goods would still be duty free for retirement visa holders.

Books have been cited both as a household good and as a personal good. As I have quite a library I am anxious to find out which catagory includes books. Can anyone clarify the book question?

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » April 7, 2008, 2:17 am

Mods,

Can the first post be pinned like the very handy yellow house book post.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

alby
udonmap.com

Post by alby » April 7, 2008, 2:46 pm

just 7 years ago i sent from europe to thailand,by boat, all my furniture. Everything was second hand. In Bkk for a full container i paid 12000 baht just to speed up.Not even a pin was missing.I am still enjoying my soft mattress and my pizza oven

tingtongfalang
udonmap.com

Post by tingtongfalang » April 7, 2008, 8:05 pm

alby wrote:just 7 years ago i sent from europe to thailand,by boat, all my furniture. Everything was second hand. In Bkk for a full container i paid 12000 baht just to speed up.Not even a pin was missing.I am still enjoying my soft mattress and my pizza oven
What was the cost for shipping from Europe to Thailand?

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » April 7, 2008, 8:57 pm

tingtongfalang wrote:
alby wrote:just 7 years ago i sent from europe to thailand,by boat, all my furniture. Everything was second hand. In Bkk for a full container i paid 12000 baht just to speed up.Not even a pin was missing.I am still enjoying my soft mattress and my pizza oven
What was the cost for shipping from Europe to Thailand?
And what was the size of the container?

The shipping agent at point of origin should have had an agent in Bangkok that handled all customs paperwork and interface, including handing over the tea money. Do you recommend that we, with help from a girlfriend for translating, handle the business on the Thailand end?

Did you have a work visa or just papers from the immigration office to show you lived with a Thai wife?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 7, 2008, 9:09 pm

TJ, everything I have read points strongly to NOT doing it by yourself.

The agents have the connections, and usually get it sorted with a minimum off fuss.

If you turn up to do it yourself, you will be at the mercy of the customs officers. I have heard stories of containers being unpacked in the open, and the owner being told everything will stay there until the money (whatever sum) is paid.

Also if you get into a dispute, you will be accumulating storage fees while the goods sit on the wharf or in a bonded warehouse.

snowman
udonmap.com

Re: Importing Personal and Household Effects

Post by snowman » March 12, 2009, 1:57 am

Does anyone have any newer info about shipping household items ? Such as shipping companies,cost,containers or anything else pertaining to shipping household items to Thailand. Ihave checked and the previously stated rules still apply so I don't need info about rules or regulations.

Thanks
snowman

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 19, 2009, 4:10 pm

Well when I came here 6 years ago I shipped a contain er through a reputable international removing company in England, they would NOT ship until I provided copy of year visa and other documents that they asked for. upon the container arriving in Thailand I had to go to bangkok to sign for the container, which although could be opened if customs wished it, was not as Thai customs do not like having to repack it to the shippers satisfaction, my advice is fill a container, small or large, followthe directions of the company explictitly or even get them to pack up your stuff, then thay have ownership until it is delivered to your door in Thailand.
I had a crack in a TV plastic surround and a chipped glass form a small container full of everything from antiques to wine ( yes alcohol packed ina chest freezer placed right in the front of the container, so to look in it, it would have had to be completely unpacked) needless to say it was not on the manifest but neither was anythign of real intrinsic value either, just household goods and the like.
I was honest to my remover they uinderstood and asisted me in moving everything. No customs fees were paid, the only thing thathappened is that Customs wrote in my passprt that i was unable to import any more TV's, fridge, freezers etc: however they got a rocket from the embassy when they found out.
All in all including elivery to my home in Udon from England , packed and unpacked, and customs about 5500 GB pounds that was 6 years ago mind.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 19, 2009, 6:21 pm

The bottom line is, with personal effects, you may be lucky like Khun Paul, or you may come up against an officer upholding the law (I am told it does happen on rare occasions in Thailand :D ), or even worse, exceeding the law.

It really seems to be a raffle, in which you can maximise your chances, and minimise the damage, by following the suggestions earlier in this thread.

BTW, KP, I am not aware of any Customs organisation in the world where it is the responsibility of Customs to repack a container, or any other receptacle they examine. The cost, and labour, is up to the importer.

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » March 21, 2009, 1:26 am

When I brought my stuff here I had 23 boxes of varying sizes including a bicycle. My shipping agent (based in Sheffield) came to my house, measured the boxes by m2 (having made a jigsaw to pack them as close as possible) packed them onto his truck and that was the last I saw of them until they were delivered to a warehouse on the Udon ring road.
I paid extra to have them palletised and wrapped in plastic wrapping and they had a contact in Bkk whom we were given details of who would make sure the stuff got off the boat- through customs and transported up to Udon. None of the 23 boxes were opened, nothing was broken or missing and as far as I can remember the total cost was nothing like 5500 pounds - it was about 1000 pounds all in.
They didn't need a 1 year visa - just a copy of my passport with AN ENTRY VISA of some sort, although I believe it eases things in Bkk customs if you have a 1 year visa, eased again if you have a Thai spouse and eased again if you declare everything is used and for personal use only.
So from waving goodbye to my stuff in the UK - the next time I saw it was in Udon with no visits to Bkk and if i remember right all the Thai side of things were negotiated with the contact in Bkk. An all in fee to get the stuff off the boat, get it through customs, store it in their warehouse and transport it to your address. Absolutely painless :)

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » November 23, 2009, 6:36 pm

If you've got a Thai wife, and you've been outside of Thailand for a few years, put the stuff in her name -- imported under her passport -- and there are no customs charges. In '06 we shipped a container over -- just under 10,000 pounds and paid zero baht. Zilch, nada from Los Angeles to Udon. Thanks Uncle Sam. On time, nothing missing, nothing broken.

We also brought our dog. Required a visit to the vet at Don Muang and a 200 baht certificate -- but no paperwork in advance. Maybe the rules have changed.

Jula

Post by Jula » June 13, 2010, 12:02 pm

I'm going to move one container to Udonthani. Do some one know where is the Tesco Lotus of North Udon. Is it in down town?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » June 14, 2010, 2:53 pm

The Tesco in the northern part of Udon is not in downtown.

It is about 500 metres south of where the Nong Khai road meets the Ring Road, on the western section of the Ring Road.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 14, 2010, 9:35 pm

Poijt taken about Customs unpacking and packing, however i have since found out that if the Customs unpack
they must have a valid reason and if the reason is unjustified they pay to have it repacked and any damamge they incur. Same as the Uk really but noit quite so regimented done over heer with a lax attitude. hence that is why i paid possibly over the odds to ensure no problems.

sabaidee_mike
udonmap.com

Post by sabaidee_mike » May 26, 2011, 11:05 pm

Has anyone imported a car? I guess it would be best to put this in my Spouse's name about a year before importing just like Texpat.

sabaidee_mike
udonmap.com

Post by sabaidee_mike » May 26, 2011, 11:43 pm

Scratch that. I just read through the threads regarding importing a car. Seems a complete nightmare. Best buy in Thailand.

MALC
udonmap.com

Post by MALC » May 27, 2011, 12:34 am

from people i know that have brought cars from uk to thailand.they have to be in thai wifes name for two yrs in uk and no duty to pay here.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » May 27, 2011, 8:10 am

Given that cars are specifically excluded from the duty free exemption for returning Thais, your friend(s) must have been very lucky Malc.

Do you know anyone personally who has done this?

Return to “Travel & Transport”