Hip Surgery

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
LESSOR
udonmap.com

Hip Surgery

Post by LESSOR » March 22, 2014, 11:51 am

steadyjohn wrote:A friend of mine, fractured his femur bone up near the hip socket.

He needs to have surgery to have pin/rod inserted (Titanium) - Not a full hip replacement (ball and socket)

Does anyone have any experience with this type of surgery in Udon Thani?
Such as the best hospital to go to and a price range?

Thanks

Johnny

I do. You can call me at 083-2856-0458

Jai2
udonmap.com

Re: Hip Surgery

Post by Jai2 » May 30, 2020, 8:45 am

Hi Guys
I need a hip Replacement......no break or anything , just worn out. The info on here is a little dated, has anyone had this operation in the more recent past?

Is the thinking still head for BKK for this sort of thing?. I had a recommendation of a Doctor in Khon Kaen, but it was from another Doctor not someone who had been on the table.
Its a self funded --no insurance.
Walking is (was ) a big part of my life---always been very active football/Squash etc into the 50s---so it seems this is the payback you get for that---worn out joints.

I am 74......thanks in advance for any info/help/recommendations

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » May 31, 2020, 6:53 am

do you really need it...recovery as an older person id longer, and it takes the hell out of ya...both my elderly parents broke theirs when I was caring for them in their latter years. They had it done, but it was the end of them really..

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » May 31, 2020, 9:17 am

A friend of mine had a total hip replacement at the Bangkok nursing home. He refused the new method called keyhole surgery. This guy was a tough old bird. He was out of bed the next day and was playing golf two weeks later. Totally successful. From hardly being able to walk, to playing golf two weeks later. I don't remember the exact cost but he is a cheap Charley and he didn't complain. He could have gone back to the US and had it covered by Medicare but he trusted this Bangkok hospital and he wasn't up to making that long painful flight.

Jai2
udonmap.com

Post by Jai2 » May 31, 2020, 9:28 am

Yer Maaka---really need it, the pain now is quite high, believe me I don't look forward to going under at my age....if there was a way out---but (shouldn't have left it this long) X-ray, its just bone on bone.-----your parents--breaking a hip at an old age is a little different......more serious.

Thanks glat...do you mean the BKK/BKK hospital ?

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » May 31, 2020, 10:30 am

Hi Jai2,
Speaking from personal experience, l had a hip replacement 2 years ago, surgery on the Monday and exiting hospital on the Friday walking on crutches. Rehabilitation with physiotherapist necessary for full recovery. Whilst there is anecdotal evidence of rapid recovery to resume pre surgery activities, adherence to the physiotherapist time lines important. Look up arthritis-health.com hip replacement for the pros and cons of key hole surgery versus traditional hip replacement. If having the surgery in Thailand the key would be supporting references for the orthopaedic surgeon along with excellent coomunication that will assist you in post recovery. Good luck going forward.

Jai2
udonmap.com

Post by Jai2 » May 31, 2020, 11:36 am

Thanks trekkertony, I take it your was not done in Thailand?, yes I am going through the CVs of different surgeons now, what would be the drawback to Keyhole surgery ---I thought that the smaller the cut the better for the patient . Thanks for the tips anyway.

Jai2
udonmap.com

Post by Jai2 » June 16, 2020, 1:44 pm

Hi --an update to the hip surgery---I looked around and the top guy (he was top at all 3 hospitals) has his own clinic on Prosi rd, went to him, and talking to him about prices decided that I would have it in the Udon General, after all same surgeon better equipment then most others---private room etc, we started out at 85K then it went to 100K , so still better than most. So booked for the end of the month --had a phone call this morning, not the Doctor but his offsider to tell the wife it has just gone up another 80K when she questioned why the excuse was...well the first quote was just for operation. 50K more then what Aek Udon is charging (for same doctor) So I guess that option is out.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » June 16, 2020, 5:21 pm

Jai2 wrote:
June 16, 2020, 1:44 pm
Hi --an update to the hip surgery---I looked around and the top guy (he was top at all 3 hospitals) has his own clinic on Prosi rd, went to him, and talking to him about prices decided that I would have it in the Udon General, after all same surgeon better equipment then most others---private room etc, we started out at 85K then it went to 100K , so still better than most. So booked for the end of the month --had a phone call this morning, not the Doctor but his offsider to tell the wife it has just gone up another 80K when she questioned why the excuse was...well the first quote was just for operation. 50K more then what Aek Udon is charging (for same doctor) So I guess that option is out.
Sounds like he was just reeling you in like he had caught a big fish. These greedy doctors know how to work us falangs!
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » June 17, 2020, 3:01 pm

Jai2 wrote:
May 30, 2020, 8:45 am
Hi Guys
I need a hip Replacement......no break or anything , just worn out. ....
1) has anyone had this operation past?

2)Is the thinking still head for BKK for this sort of thing?.
3) I had a recommendation of a Doctor in Khon Kaen, but it was from another Doctor not someone who had been on the table.
4)Its a self funded --no insurance.
5)Walking is (was ) a big part of my life---always been very active football/Squash etc into the 50s---so it seems this is the payback you get for that---worn out joints.
6)I am 74......thanks in advance for any info/help/recommendations
1. Yes.
2. Only if you are a millionaire! [-(
3.My surgery was carried out by: Dr. Weerachai, who conducts his private clinic at 2/6, Klang muang, Naimuang,
KHONKHEN. Telephone number 043-239-207.( 2/6 ถ.กลางเมิอง ต. ในเมือง อ. เมือง จ. ขอนแก่น ). He acts as Consultant to SRINAGRIND HOSPITAL, and it is there where he carries out his surgical procedures.
I chose a titanium pin. There are cheaper alternatives available, obviously of lesser reliability and quality, which I don't recommend! you choose.
I too was up and walking around the hospital ward , (unaided by staff or walking stick =D> ), approximately 24 hours after the procedure.Dr. Weerachai assured me the benefits of the procedure were guaranteed to last around ten years, after which I was likely to need further attention to the hip.It is now 13 years since my procedure, and I am experiencing no problems with my hip.
Approximately three years ago I strongly recommended to an ex-pat friend he consult Dr. Weerachai. Both his hips and both knees were obviously in a terrible state, evidenced by the fact that he could not walk unaided , and was in continuous pain. Over a period of several months, (allowing recovery time between each procedure) he had the necessary surgery on both knees and one hip. He no longer experiences any problem in those regards, and his quality of life has greatly improved.
4. I also was self funded. I cannot remember the costs involved. Only that I was pleasantly surprised; that they were far cheaper than the 'vague' quotes I was able to extract from each of the hospitals in Udonthani, and was delighted with the empathy displayed towards me by Dr. Weerachai, and the hospital staff.
5 & 6. Seems we have a lot in common. I was 74 when I had my hip replacement surgery.I was very actively involved in various sports, both as a participant and then a coach. I played my last competitive game of football at the age of 50; ran my last marathon at the age of 61, and took up squash upon ending my football career. Wouldn't change anything in this regard.
Whatever you decide, I wish you well. Meantime, should you want any further information from me, please p.m. to me. I do not propose to post any further on this thread.

Return to “Health & Beauty”