Udon Thani Sports Stadium

Sports, Leisure and Adventure for the active minded. (Udon Thani related topics only)
jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » March 25, 2013, 2:55 pm

One would think, one of our "Udon Insiders" (http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/p ... ml#p321023), with the city and/or provincial government could suss out more info on this place? IE: expected opening date/dates, facilities, especially fitness center, and whether or not these facilities will be available for public use? And, at what price?

Svein66
udonmap.com

Post by Svein66 » May 14, 2013, 12:22 pm

Finally the football pitch has gone green. :mrgreen: I think it`s natural grass as it looked like a lawn mower was driving on the pitch today. The question now is who are going to use this new pitch with a big stand?
I can`t see UDFC moving there because I think the stand are too small. I`m guessing around 1200 seats, and I think UDFC has more fans at their games at the current stadium.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » June 25, 2013, 8:42 pm

Without family in tow, I finally got around to having a closer look, at least concerning the main football pitch.
I have to correct myself on posts somewhere, in that I thought the pitch was not full-sized. But today, by coincidence, there was a guy (English?) there carrying out tests(he had bags of various equipment) on the pitch with a view to official FIFA approval of the surface - or something like that. I spoke to another guy who obviously had some role in progressing the place. He said the playing surface was 110m x 72m, certainly within the "Rules of the Game".

I was surprised to find the surface was not grass, but artificial material, plastic/nylon? Rather than a kind of flattish mat material, it looked more natural/realistic because comprised of individual blades of 'grass', perhaps 2cm long,with a nylon/plastic chips base. My interpretation, anyway. Certainly imagine the bounce of the ball would be more realistic as compared to e.g astroturf, but I'm going back years and still bear the scars for any sliding I did on that stuff! I'm sure there's been major progress since then. He thought that some official tournaments might be held there.

The guy said the single stand's capacity was 2,000 and that the place was (Local) Government funded, rather than any private enterprise. I aired the case of Udon FC's situation. He seemed to suggest because the original 5 year old? designs included only one stand and funding approval was based on that, so changes in design more recently could not be allowed. But he suggested that with a new budget..........

The place looked quite smart, but then it should. Mind you, up the stairs to the seating (seats with backs too!)and the design means one cannot see perhaps 3-4 metres of the nearside of the pitch. That's a bit of a cockup, although could reduce the width of the pitch, I suppose. One could still yell at the linesman even if you couldn't see him/her! :lol:

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » June 26, 2013, 8:55 am

and the gym??, the pool?, the jogging track?? Is the place open yet???
Dave

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » June 26, 2013, 9:44 am

jingjai wrote:One would think, one of our "Udon Insiders" (http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/p ... ml#p321023), with the city and/or provincial government could suss out more info on this place? IE: expected opening date/dates, facilities, especially fitness center, and whether or not these facilities will be available for public use? And, at what price?

I guess you are having a pot shot at me. I am not a Udon insider. I was just asked to attend a meeting for a friend who works at City Hall, regarding the One Stop Project and ask for ideas from the expat community. For my troubles I just got monstered on this forum, and the other Udon related expat forum. I am not going to "suss" out anything any more.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » March 3, 2014, 6:17 pm

**UPDATE**

The fitness center is now officially open (it has been opened for about a month on a trial basis). User fee is waived until a later time, but the fee has been established at 20bt a day or 600bt a month (subject to change). Hours are 0830-2030 and are also subject to change. Apparently, the hours of operation will be based on usage. A sign in sheet is available and this will help to determine usage.

Beyond Cafe is also open for business. They have a nice set up with ample room and various seating options. Free WIFI and password is posted at the service counter. There's also a seating area with plenty of electrical outlets to plug in your device.

Also located in the same building are limited government services. National ID's may be renewed/replaced and some sort of complaint department (this part not fully understood) for noisy neighbors and possibly some other community type grievances.

Return to “Sports, Leisure and Adventure in Udon Thani”