Motorcycle riding

Sports, Leisure and Adventure for the active minded. (Udon Thani related topics only)
Bump
udonmap.com

Motorcycle riding

Post by Bump » September 18, 2005, 7:24 pm

Anybody into Motorcycle riding, for fun?

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » September 18, 2005, 8:44 pm

As not in LOS yet will wait and see on the motercycle thing but I did want to welcome you to this forum. I am sure you stir the pot as on Thaivisa and that is good. Look forward to some of your thoughts.

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » September 18, 2005, 9:42 pm

Before coming to Thailand I had a 4 cylinder 600cc Yamaha XJS which was purely and simply for my pleasure. No matter what people say _ I got no pleasure whatsoever from being soaking wet and freezing cold. I had a car so I guess I had the luxury of being able to choose when I rode.

Its one of the things I really miss since coming here and I have often toyed with the idea of getting another big bike here. I always see sense fortunately and the driving styles here and condition of the roads would put you on a suicide mission every time you ride. I have a little 125 Honda which I use for zipping around town and I have lost count the number of times it has been on the ground - everything from a soi dog under the front wheel to people cutting in front of me (cars and bikes) - to have to contend with that on a larger, harder to keep upright bike would be madness. If anything I would get a trials type bike where the upright riding position and wide handlebars, not to mention the suspension for the roads here would be ideal - trouble is you just don't see them for sale.
If you want a bike here its a choice between a scooter type runaround or a Honda Phantom (200cc).
There are a couple of back street shops around that sell imorted Japanese sports bikes, anything up to 1000 cc but they are not officially imported and like second hand cars - their past is very cloudy. I really dont want to take a risk.

If anyone spots a trial bike for sale in Udon on their travels around town - please let me know.

So your question - 'does anyone ride for fun' ? Hmmm fun is not how I would describe riding around Udon city centre.

I have seen once or twice groups of riders on large machines, usually well out of Udon - so there are some fanatics somewhere, and also I beleive there is a group in Udon called 'Mad Dogs' but I don't know anything about them. sorry.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » September 18, 2005, 10:44 pm

had a nice honda 900, nice for cruising around, comfy for 2 . enjoyed my 750 more without the mrs on back, not powerful enough for 2, but a blast by myself. it's amazing i'm alive now. also thought about large bike here, love my brothers kawi 1100, but like pauls said, it would be suicide, especially the way i drive. had a couple close calls on the damn sonic 125, enough to know bike riding here isn't exactly the safest mode for me, but great for parking. i can't do the local thing and just block whoever and leave car and shop. frustrating finding parking spot, a lot of missed income for local shopkeepers, have to pass them by, no place to park. would be a necessity in town though, a bike that is, or just bicyle. they keep building, but i don't see no extra parking. shame.

BangkokButcher
udonmap.com

Post by BangkokButcher » September 19, 2005, 12:02 am

Hi Ray and welcome from the other side ;).

I think you know my views on this, and I would gladly join you for a ride one Sunday with the rest of the gang if I was lucky enough to be there on a more permanent basis.

Good luck with the Sisaket run thats coming up...

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » September 19, 2005, 12:17 am

Paul wrote:Before coming to Thailand I had a 4 cylinder 600cc Yamaha XJS which was purely and simply for my pleasure. No matter what people say _ I got no pleasure whatsoever from being soaking wet and freezing cold. I had a car so I guess I had the luxury of being able to choose when I rode.

Its one of the things I really miss since coming here and I have often toyed with the idea of getting another big bike here. I always see sense fortunately and the driving styles here and condition of the roads would put you on a suicide mission every time you ride. I have a little 125 Honda which I use for zipping around town and I have lost count the number of times it has been on the ground - everything from a soi dog under the front wheel to people cutting in front of me (cars and bikes) - to have to contend with that on a larger, harder to keep upright bike would be madness. If anything I would get a trials type bike where the upright riding position and wide handlebars, not to mention the suspension for the roads here would be ideal - trouble is you just don't see them for sale.
If you want a bike here its a choice between a scooter type runaround or a Honda Phantom (200cc).
There are a couple of back street shops around that sell imorted Japanese sports bikes, anything up to 1000 cc but they are not officially imported and like second hand cars - their past is very cloudy. I really dont want to take a risk.

If anyone spots a trial bike for sale in Udon on their travels around town - please let me know.

So your question - 'does anyone ride for fun' ? Hmmm fun is not how I would describe riding around Udon city centre.

I have seen once or twice groups of riders on large machines, usually well out of Udon - so there are some fanatics somewhere, and also I beleive there is a group in Udon called 'Mad Dogs' but I don't know anything about them. sorry.
Interesting I ride a 750 4 cylinder Yamaha now, own a phantom and a 125. The 125 scares me to death, three years so far rain or shine and haven't been down once. But to each his own I also own a pickup, have had it for eight months and don't have 4000 KMS on it yet. Current weather it will get some milage on it tomorrow.

I would venture to say that no matter where you live if you ride enough eventually you are going to have an accident. Safety equipment is a big part of riding for me.

I heard something about a farrang group who rides out of Udon, I have been riding with a Thai group that I enjoy. They seem to ride at safer speeds for me anyway. I would much rather slow down a bit actually see the area that I'm riding through and get back out again soon.

Thanks for your thoughts .

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » September 19, 2005, 10:26 am

Nice to see Ray here.Would love a big bike but the roads here are murder on my back.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » September 19, 2005, 10:42 am

agree with ray, safety equip, well at least a decent helmet, at all times, even a quick beer run to local shop. heads don't bounce well on roads, anything else is usually fixable. you should also have heavy clothing to avoid road rash, in case of a spill, but i've never followed that good advise. luckily, amazingly, only had one spill where i actually completely broke something, collar bone. not bad considering my extremely poor driving habits, speed kills. luckily again, it was returning from work in cool weather, so i was actually dressed to fall, no road rash. contrary to my usually bike attire, shorts, t-shirt, flip flops. man my bud use to constantly badger me about safet wear in case of spill, but someone was watching over me, 25 some years and just the one bad spill. well, there was that one spill, does that count, 1st time riding and not on road, well, when i hit the house, head first, my head. got to come to the meetings for these boring stories.

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » September 19, 2005, 1:27 pm

laphanphon wrote:agree with ray, safety equip, well at least a decent helmet, at all times, even a quick beer run to local shop. heads don't bounce well on roads, anything else is usually fixable. you should also have heavy clothing to avoid road rash, in case of a spill, but i've never followed that good advise. luckily, amazingly, only had one spill where i actually completely broke something, collar bone. not bad considering my extremely poor driving habits, speed kills. luckily again, it was returning from work in cool weather, so i was actually dressed to fall, no road rash. contrary to my usually bike attire, shorts, t-shirt, flip flops. man my bud use to constantly badger me about safet wear in case of spill, but someone was watching over me, 25 some years and just the one bad spill. well, there was that one spill, does that count, 1st time riding and not on road, well, when i hit the house, head first, my head. got to come to the meetings for these boring stories.
Yep the back is the that gets me so I stop often and try to keep the rides in time frame that I can handle. Safty equipemt around town shorts yep, road runs good Levis, boots and if it not to hot leathers. Helmets always.

Never been down here, but I have been down usually dirt riding. One biggy took oput a Mexicali Lumber truck head in the deserts of southern California. That one hurt a bit helmet had big scrapes and dents in it, but only a broken rib.

With the riding climate as it is here I tjhink I'm really more careful here then when I rode in the states. Just had to worry mailny about the guy who didn't see there. Not the guy who saw and didn't care as his vehilcle was bogger, not water buffalo or elephants in the road. People coming at you at night without head lights. Roads that just end with no warning definetly have to adjust here.

But it beats sitting at home and being on the computer all the time.

So how much did it cost to fix the house LAUGHTER

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » September 19, 2005, 5:35 pm

Been looking for a Honda 600 or 750, but everytime I find something at a good price, No Papers :!:

The price of a BMW or Harley is too much for the amount of time I would use it. If going into Udon city, I will take the truck :!:

Don't forget where I last lived, (SC) Harley capital for meet ups, at least 4 per year, plus no helmet laws, plus beach, plus nice roads, plus warm weather 10 months of the year. But its also like golf :!:

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » September 19, 2005, 7:25 pm

ray23 wrote: I would venture to say that no matter where you live if you ride enough eventually you are going to have an accident.
Live on/near Soi Jintakahn and increase those odds a hundred fold LOL

Paul 8)

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » September 19, 2005, 8:02 pm

plus warm weather 10 months of the year
lived in philly, unless near freezing or no snow on streets, it was crystalized tear drops in the beard, full face helmets are uncomfortable and fog up. 32 F / 0 C with 80-100 mph wind chill, that will wake you up at 0545. park under steps at airport terminal, either that, or take the car, and allow another 30 mins employee park and bus time a couple miles away, no thanks. always running late as it was. like i said, with those driving habits, amazing i'm still here.

after i dumped and broke collar, chickie at work gave me a scolding one day, "after you crashed, we figured you'd grow up and drive normal, you know you passed me on the way to work and i was doing 80" oh well. and people over here scare me, what a role reversal, but for different reason, just unpredictable.

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » September 19, 2005, 8:21 pm

Dakoda wrote:Been looking for a Honda 600 or 750, but everytime I find something at a good price, No Papers :!:

The price of a BMW or Harley is too much for the amount of time I would use it. If going into Udon city, I will take the truck :!:

Don't forget where I last lived, (SC) Harley capital for meet ups, at least 4 per year, plus no helmet laws, plus beach, plus nice roads, plus warm weather 10 months of the year. But its also like golf :!:
Darn just saw a 750 Suzuki shaft drive, in pretty good condition needed basically some paint work, with book sold for 75K

Know where there is a 750 Honda forsale with the book but I think the price is high 120K

There is a honda 750 forsale down in Pattaya for sale 75K with the book listed in baht and sold.

There is a samll sleeper shop in Nong Kia that from time to time has some good buys. The guy who has the phantom accesory shop is the one who had the 750 Susuki and claims he can order bikes so you might want to chat with him.

Like you I don't want tropubles and I want the book, must of the big bike shops give you a price here then add 70K to it for the book.

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » September 19, 2005, 10:32 pm

Well LA - I worked with your brother in Boston, MA - Would ride his bike into work thru December, snowmobile suit :shock: Talk about being unsafe :!:

When I cannot feel my clutch fingers, the time has arrived to hang it up for a few :!:

8)

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » September 22, 2005, 8:25 pm

Dakoda wrote:Well LA - I worked with your brother in Boston, MA - Would ride his bike into work thru December, snowmobile suit :shock: Talk about being unsafe :!:

When I cannot feel my clutch fingers, the time has arrived to hang it up for a few :!:

8)
We have an easy ride schedule to Khan Kean this Sunday and will meet at Ring Road and the Khan Kean Highway at 0900 Hrs. I'm having a Big Mac attack, I don't know if the Thia guys will or will not go on this one but several farrangs have expressed an interest, at this juncture four farrangs two new to the area will probably be in the mix. Anyone wishing to join us are more the welcome

thethailife
udonmap.com

Post by thethailife » September 22, 2005, 10:13 pm

Would love to go for a ride in Udon but I'm certain everyone there operating any vehicle with wheels is either suicidal or out to get me :?
If your not ridin a DUC you ain't ridin.
"A good imagination is more important than intelligence" Albert Einstein. Dave

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » September 23, 2005, 12:31 am

We made the group motorcycle trips to Khon Kaen and Nong Khai many times when I used to live there and always had a lotta fun. Safety in numbers too, I guess. Never knew there were so many interesting places in Udon Thani province (like Phu Pra Bat National Park and Ubonlat Dam) but that's probably because we didn't have anything like this informative forum. It was all "word of mouth" in those days. Most times, our motorcycle trips were from one bar to the next (and there were a helluva lot of bars in Udon back in the 1966-74 years). :lol:

Getting a little too old for bikes and "honda rashes" nowadays but would still consider buying one after I retire. Especially with gas prices the way they're getting to be.

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » September 23, 2005, 1:09 am

Don't want to get into a long harangue here but Ray mentioned a group motorcycle trip to Khon Kaen and it brought back a memory.

A group of us were halfway between Udon and Khon Kaen one time when Guess-who ran out of gas? Yup, forgot to fill up before the trip. Dumb. Well, back then we used to carry along a chain with lock on our bikes. The chain was ensconced in a clear plastic tubing to prevent damage to the bike when you locked it to a lightpost or whatever. Anyway, my pal Pat pulled his bike next to mine and ol' Guess-who learned how to siphon gasoline through that tubing. I can still taste that gasoline. :oops: Always remembered to put 15-20 baht worth of gas in the tank after that, you betcha.

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » September 23, 2005, 9:06 am

polehawk wrote:Don't want to get into a long harangue here but Ray mentioned a group motorcycle trip to Khon Kaen and it brought back a memory.

A group of us were halfway between Udon and Khon Kaen one time when Guess-who ran out of gas? Yup, forgot to fill up before the trip. Dumb. Well, back then we used to carry along a chain with lock on our bikes. The chain was ensconced in a clear plastic tubing to prevent damage to the bike when you locked it to a lightpost or whatever. Anyway, my pal Pat pulled his bike next to mine and ol' Guess-who learned how to siphon gasoline through that tubing. I can still taste that gasoline. :oops: Always remembered to put 15-20 baht worth of gas in the tank after that, you betcha.
Issan riding is always an adventure thats waht makes it fun

Return to “Sports, Leisure and Adventure in Udon Thani”