Mayweather v Alvarez - What financial crisis???

Sports, Leisure and Adventure for the active minded. (Udon Thani related topics only)
mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » September 14, 2013, 11:49 am

Any additional comment, on the reprinted part article below, other than perhaps the adjective "obscene", would be superfluous. :-# :shock:

LAS VEGAS – He's promoting a fight that will generate unimaginable amounts of money in one night, equivalent to the GDP of some countries and roughly the size of Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s checking account, yet Richard Schaefer frets.

The chief executive officer of Golden Boy Promotions will likely earn windfall profits for his company Saturday, when Mayweather fights Canelo Alvarez at the MGM Grand Garden in a potentially record-setting pay-per-view bout.

He's used to taking calls from celebrities looking for comps, but for this fight, he's had to say no to a slew of A-listers. Magic Johnson dug into his own pocket to buy tickets, and Kobe Bryant was unable to purchase the prime seats he wanted, but Schaefer is not without fears.

There has been exactly one fight in boxing history that has exceeded 2 million pay-per-view sales, and that number is being talked about as a low end for the final sales figure for this fight.

[Related: 'Money' persona equal parts entertaining, draining]

No matter how much he knows he'll ultimately make, Schaefer is going to swallow hard on Saturday. When the fights end, it will be Schaefer and Golden Boy on the hook for the $41.5 million payday guaranteed to Mayweather, as well as the $5 million guaranteed to Alvarez.

He's also responsible for a slew of other expenses. He paid $2.5 million for a 10-city tour to promote the bout. He has spent roughly $8 million on advertising. He owes Danny Garcia, who fights Lucas Matthysse in the chief undercard bout, $1.5 million. He'll owe Matthysse another $800,000.

When all is said and done, Schaefer will have paid nearly $70 million on Saturday, without getting much of it back.

"I'll tell you one thing: Just Mayweather's money, what Showtime is putting up for the fight, is not enough to pay Mayweather's guarantee for fight night, let alone all the other fighters," Schaefer said. " ... Together, I'll be out by the time the first bell rings probably well over $60 million."

He'll receive Showtime's payment as well as a large portion of the record $19.9 million ticket sales on Monday morning. But the pay-per-view money can literally take years to come in.

The fighters need to be paid on fight night, but Schaefer won't see his full return for months, if not years.

And that's frightening for a guy who's writing so many seven-figure checks.

The fight will be lucrative enough for Mayweather that he can afford to give away a few of the $200,000 diamond-encrusted bags he's suddenly become so fond of, and that right now he only buys after he's won a sports bet.

"I've had to discipline myself," Mayweather said of the bags, and it was hard not to sympathize with a guy who buys handbags that cost more than some people's homes.

The attention and the fabulous wealth comes because Mayweather is clearly the top athlete and the top attraction in the sport. Counting Saturday's bout, Mayweather will have pocketed $153 million in bout guarantees alone since May 1, 2010. He's made much more in pay-per-view bonuses.

Whatever the total number is, it's a lot of money for beating guys up about as well as anyone ever has.

[Related: Floyd Mayweather Jr.'s skill in ring matched by marketing talent outside of it]

Business surrounding the fight has surpassed even the most optimistic projections of its promoters, and might threaten the nearly unthinkable pay-per-view record of 2.5 million, set by Oscar De La Hoya and Mayweather in 2007, in part because of the massive fan base Alvarez brings.

Alvarez has been resolute in his belief that he'll become the first of the 45 men Mayweather has faced to defeat the pound-for-pound individual.

"No doubt," he said. "None. I have put in the work and I'm going to win."

Schaefer said that HBO Sports executive Mark Taffet told him several years ago that adding Alvarez to a Mayweather undercard boosted sales by more than 300,000 because Alvarez is so popular among Mexicans and Hispanic Americans.

Stephen Espinoza, the executive vice president and general manager for Showtime Sports, was previously De La Hoya's attorney and negotiated many of the Golden Boy's deals.

But Espinoza said that Alvarez, 23, is ahead of where De La Hoya was at a similar age. He said Alvarez will eventually likely surpass De La Hoya as a draw.

Alvarez is a strapping, good-looking young man with a crop of red hair that is highly unusual for a Mexican, and that makes him easily recognizable. He's quickly become an icon among Mexican-Americans, who are big-time fight consumers.

Espinoza said he can't recall many comparable to him in sports history.

"I think the interesting part will be when he learns English," Espinoza said of Alvarez. "That's the only barrier left to him being a massive star, and a star unlike we've seen before. The only analogy I can make to a Mexican-born star who has come over and made this kind of impression [in the U.S.] is [ex-Dodgers pitcher] Fernando Valenzuela. Fernando's the last Mexican-born star who caught the [American] public's attention.

"And let's be honest here: Fernando wasn't the sex symbol that Canelo is. We're talking a sort of unprecedented personality. We've never had a Mexican-born crossover star of this magnitude."

Alvarez is 42-0-1 and is a big, powerful man. He's knocked out 30 men and he's just growing into his body.

Mayweather is perhaps the toughest man in the sport to hit cleanly, but if Alvarez connects, he could change the course of boxing history.

Those on Mayweather's "The Money Team" scoff at such a possibility.

"Man, go on, get out of here with that stuff," Mayweather's father and trainer, Floyd Mayweather Sr. said, when listening to a reporter roll off a list of Alvarez's attributes. "Floyd would beat this guy with one hand if he had to. Be real, man."

Mayweather Sr. has a thoroughbred in his corner, and he knows it. Not only has Mayweather Jr. never lost, he's barely lost any rounds. In his 44-fight career, he only came close to losing twice.

Many felt Jose Luis Castillo deserved the decision against him in their first fight in 2002, when they fought for the lightweight title. And in 2010, Shane Mosley landed a massive right that had Mayweather wobbling on weak legs briefly.

Mayweather survived that round and then went on to win every round the rest of the way in a typically dominating performance.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 14, 2013, 6:35 pm

$20 million at the gate already! I doubt anyone will end up a loser in this fight. And when you're 44-0, who can question his ability.
One of the bennies of living in Udon.....all the pay-per-view fights live!

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » September 14, 2013, 6:42 pm

parrot wrote:$20 million at the gate already! I doubt anyone will end up a loser in this fight. And when you're 44-0, who can question his ability.
One of the bennies of living in Udon.....all the pay-per-view fights live!
What channel / TV network are the fights shown live on Mr P ?.. and what time does it start .

mash

SJP17
udonmap.com

Post by SJP17 » September 14, 2013, 8:13 pm

I am going for an Alvarez win by KO later rounds, i think he will be too big and strong for Mayweather and will walk threw whatever Mayweather throws. Mayweather has a good chance and who would bet against him but he can only win on points in my opinion.

Its an exciting prospect just a damned shame i am working nightshift tonite :(

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 14, 2013, 8:14 pm

Showing on True Sport 7, channel 106, fights begin at 8AM....but main event usually 10ish.

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » September 14, 2013, 11:20 pm

True Vision Channel 105 TSP6. 0800-1200. If only casual boxing fan, agree 1000hrs ideal switch on time to catch main event. For boxing fans, this promotion looks to include a quality undercard probably well worth watching.

gudtymchuk
udonmap.com

Post by gudtymchuk » September 15, 2013, 12:46 pm

:roll: :roll: They need to drug test the judge who scored this fight a draw.....
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

pomps
udonmap.com

Mayweather wins again

Post by pomps » September 14, 2014, 12:50 pm

Yeah what financial crisis :D
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2192 ... es/2192887

Wins again despite allegedly being bitten 8)
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/boxing/29196586

Return to “Sports, Leisure and Adventure in Udon Thani”