Holden Wins Bathurst Again (For Interested Aussies)

Sports, Leisure and Adventure for the active minded. (Udon Thani related topics only)
Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Holden Wins Bathurst Again (For Interested Aussies)

Post by Bandung_Dero » October 9, 2005, 3:39 pm

From ABC OnLine
Skaife brings Holden home at Bathurst.

Holden Racing Team's Mark Skaife and Todd Kelly won the Bathurst 1000 on Sunday after a dramatic crash ended the day for defending champion Greg Murphy and V8 Supercar championship leader Marcos Ambrose.

Skaife came across the line for his fifth Bathurst win after 161 laps of the 6.21km Mount Panorama circuit. New Zealander Jason Richards and Jamie Whincup finished second in another Holden, while Ford pair Steve Ellery and Adam Macrow were third.

There were double celebrations for Skaife's co-driver Kelly, who celebrated his first Bathurst win on his 26th birthday. The pair led the race for 81 of the 161 laps.

The race was a seventh straight win at Mount Panorama for Holden, while Ford's drought continued.

Kelly and Skaife went into the race ranked fifth and sixth on the championship ladder and their win came after a huge crash caused chaos in the field.

Ambrose appeared to be shunted from behind by Murphy as the cars entered a left-hand kink heading into the cutting on lap 144.

That sparked a pile-up behind them, with Ambrose's Ford slewing sideways and Murphy smashing off the car's front spoiler as he squeezed through.

The crash involved around 10 cars, and as they came to a halt Ambrose and Murphy got out of their vehicles and had a stand-up row on the tarmac.

Russell Ingall, Steven Richards and pole-sitter Craig Lowndes were the other top four drivers who were involved in the crash.

Lowndes had claimed pole in Saturday's Top 10 shoot-out but he saw his chances take a huge hit in the first half of the race when his windscreen was smashed by a flying tyre.

Lowndes was returning to the track after a pit stop when Paul Dumbrell's Holden shed the spinning rubber, hitting Lowndes' car and forcing him back into the pits for an extended stop.

Amazingly Ingall recovered and regained ground to finish fifth at the flag, while Lowndes came home in 15th place.

Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » October 9, 2005, 11:25 pm

Blinking Heck,

Here I am in Blighty watching the race. Pop upstairs to view any mail whilst a safety car is out. And low and behold I read the race result. Seems there's no where safe in this world to have your fun spoilt.

Gary 6.12pm.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » October 10, 2005, 5:16 am

Galee wrote:Blinking Heck,

Here I am in Blighty watching the race. Pop upstairs to view any mail whilst a safety car is out. And low and behold I read the race result. Seems there's no where safe in this world to have your fun spoilt.

Gary 6.12pm.
The UK only a few hours behind the western world, things must be getting better over there? I've been to places that are still draging themselves out of the 19th century :lol:
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Return to “Sports, Leisure and Adventure in Udon Thani”