Quintessentially Isaan (Photos)

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
Stantheman
udonmap.com

Re: Quintessentially Isaan (Photos)

Post by Stantheman » November 11, 2019, 8:26 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
November 10, 2019, 6:57 pm
Quite a few markets around me ...from.frogs to flip flops rats to remote control.cars .. today to big sellers seemed winter jackets as dropped to 17 here last night ..bloomin lovely twas too sat on mi porch n my boxera with a horlicks .
This thread is about Isaan photos, but thank god none posted of you in your Lilac's!!

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 11, 2019, 9:01 pm

Stantheman wrote:
November 11, 2019, 8:26 pm
Drunk Monkey wrote:
November 10, 2019, 6:57 pm
Quite a few markets around me ...from.frogs to flip flops rats to remote control.cars .. today to big sellers seemed winter jackets as dropped to 17 here last night ..bloomin lovely twas too sat on mi porch n my boxera with a horlicks .
This thread is about Isaan photos, but thank god none posted of you in your Lilac's!!
Yes thought best not to.inflict that on um members .. i do take a few pics when out n about but i have a problem.resizing them.as i post via my phone n not very tek savvy im.afriad ..but i can lift heavy things which makes up.for it.

Dm
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 18, 2019, 5:33 pm

There are things you can do in Thailand.....certainly in Isaan, that you can't do in our home country. I more or less followed this guy from about 10km outside of the city to the area near the airport. Ingenuity gives the guy a means to get out and not be housebound. He even has a ramp on the back.
Attachments
wheelchair.JPG

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » November 18, 2019, 5:58 pm

a wheelchair bound fellow is parked in the handicapped parking slot at Big C daily with a similar back-ramped three wheeled motorcycle.. Necessity is the mother of invention...
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 31, 2019, 4:09 pm

Today we went to the jungle market, just before you cross the mountain into Nongbualamphu. The market was jam packed with vacationers, probably Isaaners returning home for the holidays and in search of a jungle critter, bamboo, or some cow placenta to share with family members.
One end of the market was decorated with a number of these balloons. As I've never seen them anywhere else in country, I'll chalk it up to another quintessentially Isaan moment.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » December 31, 2019, 7:02 pm

Meanwhile, in Korat, they have a solution to the problem:
Drunk drive slowly.
Attachments
Drive Slowly.jpg

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 14, 2020, 2:54 pm

I remember the Hoover door-to-door salesmen of the 1950's, maybe even the 1960's. But before there were vacuum cleaners, certainly the US had its own version of the mobile broom/brush salesman.
Thais are particular about their brooms......the western style brooms aren't popular here......and roombas are way too expensive for most families here. Last time we were in the US (2 years ago), roomba-style vacs were flying off the shelves. Our daughter bought her first for about $300 for her house, then a year or so later bought one off of craig's list for $125. It was the same model as the $300 one. Worked like it was new. One for upstairs, one for down.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » January 14, 2020, 7:53 pm

parrot wrote:
January 14, 2020, 2:54 pm
I remember the Hoover door-to-door salesmen of the 1950's, maybe even the 1960's. But before there were vacuum cleaners, certainly the US had its own version of the mobile broom/brush salesman.
Thais are particular about their brooms......the western style brooms aren't popular here......and roombas are way too expensive for most families here. Last time we were in the US (2 years ago), roomba-style vacs were flying off the shelves. Our daughter bought her first for about $300 for her house, then a year or so later bought one off of craig's list for $125. It was the same model as the $300 one. Worked like it was new. One for upstairs, one for down.
In U.S. nearest thing to a "Broom" seller was the Fuller Brush Man, that was in late 50's.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 14, 2020, 8:00 pm

parrot wrote:
January 14, 2020, 2:54 pm
DM tries to support the local broom seller .. khon kai mak what (Parrot can correct).. 30 to 50 bt per hand made pc is ok by me n i try to make em last at least a month :shock: :shock:

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » January 15, 2020, 4:13 pm

a squad of these samlor pedaling broom peddlers regularly comes to camp in the Wat behind our house. A large truck brings them in. They ride out early in the morning with their load of brooms et al and return in the early evening. Occasionally the Abbot of the temple asks them to leave since their evening Lao Khao imbibing tends to lead to arguments and fights. Then a month or two later they're back. Don't know where the wholesaler who mass produces all these brooms gets these guys but they all seem a little rough around the edges...
Dave

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » January 15, 2020, 4:49 pm

Been looking for one in my area Ban Lueam for sometime now.
Quick sale need a few (2) short (1) long

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Udon+Th ... d9.5120168

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 3, 2020, 2:56 pm

This scene is probably not isolated to Isaan, but it's where I see it on a regular basis. I'm surprised the pax sitting on that rocket don't need to wear space suits.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

robytoby1960
udonmap.com

Post by robytoby1960 » February 4, 2020, 12:40 am

Quintessentially Isaan means to remeber the Samro (Sam three lo or ro wheel) The Samlo gabaa seen often in the whole city but especially around the marketplaces like the vegetable market near Grand an the one near Makro. My last visit in Udon was in 2018 when I noticed that there were neither Samlo gabaa' s ( Saleng named by elder people) nor the "personal carrier" to see Are they completely banned? I remember a place behind the St.Marie scool where those vehicles were parked in order to lend them to their drivers on a daily base. It was 20 THB a day. If you blow a tire or damage a chain you pay! Impressed by these old style bikes I decided, 18 years ago to buy a "SAMRO" The factory was situated at Prajak Sillapakom road. I wonder if they still produce them? On 2015 there were still some Tuk tuks (Skylab's) in production Actually on google street vieuw its a Yamaha dealer.
In 2003 they told me they will build one for me...needs 14 days. I gave them 2000 THB to get it started. Full price was 14000 THB Only 10 days later a brand new Samro was waiting for me
An idea of transforming it to an electric driven Samro growed up a month after when i realized how heavy i had to push those pedals. As soon as I can I will restore it to its original design (Tesla might forgive me)
124_2443.JPG
124_2442.JPG
124_2441.JPG
120_2088.JPG
120_2087.JPG
ud.JPG
120_2085.JPG

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 4, 2020, 1:51 pm

About the only '3 wheel pick up trucks' (สามล้อกระบะ) I see nowadays are used by scrap collectors around town.....and few at that.
Yesterday, we were out in a small village just outside of Nonghan and a handicapped man rode past on a 3 wheel bike that was running on a small electric motor. I didn't get a good look at it or a photo, but it appeared to be a village hack. It gave the guy mobility......and when you're handicapped, I guess that's the important thing.
I was told not long ago by a business man in town that the city would like to limit the use of tuktuks in town as they hamper the flow of traffic. Given the large number of tuktuks in town, I'm guessing that won't happen soon.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 4, 2020, 3:46 pm

The trike I saw yesterday was similar to this one.......16,000 for mobility for a handicapped person!
https://shopee.co.th/%E0%B8%88%E0%B8%B1 ... L8QAvD_BwE
Attachments
Capture.JPG

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 7, 2020, 4:53 pm

Several years ago, upon arriving at my final Texas destination, I tried to call our daughter who hadn't yet arrived at the airport. I searched for a phone. Haha. Lucky for me, the USO allowed me to make a local call.
This phone bank outside the restrooms of Tesco Nadee is a relic of past generations. Can't say I miss it.
Attachments
Capture.JPG

robytoby1960
udonmap.com

Post by robytoby1960 » February 7, 2020, 6:03 pm

Thanks a lot for your reply parrot two snapshots of a raft? Its used to fishing shrimps I guess! Or fishes? Pictures were taken somewhere around Udon 18 years ago while I was trying to find a friends home. Remarkable bamboo construction. The cables used to lift the link which dips the net into and pulls it out of the water and connect to the vertical limb are hard to see on the photo. I guess they used a hand winch to lift? Or a typical single cylinder stationary engine?
Additionally two old pictures of the old cinema at Tung Si Muang and the Udorn Hotel (Now Tonkoon Hotel and Karaoke) situated in Tanon Mak Khaeng. Those pictures where allready posted on an other occasion here at udonmap as far as I remember.
114_1419.JPG
114_1418.JPG
[000819].jpg
[000820].jpg

robytoby1960
udonmap.com

Post by robytoby1960 » February 7, 2020, 6:19 pm

And the same building years later
51631364_MovieTheaterUdorn.jpg

robytoby1960
udonmap.com

Post by robytoby1960 » February 7, 2020, 6:23 pm

Actually on streetvieuw (2017)
mtheaudon.JPG

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 7, 2020, 6:33 pm

robytoby1960...I've seen fishing rigs like the ones you posted in larger rivers. In smaller rivers, typically you'll see mostly women sitting on the banks or in shallow water lifting up squarish nets. The photo of Udorn Hotel.....long since changed to Udon Hotel or Makkaeng Rd. It's still there, but last I passed by, the parking lot was closed off. I'm not sure if they're closed for renovations or they've finally been overtaken by the multitude of hotels and hostels around town. The Chaiyaphom Hotel was just down the street from the Udorn Hotel but was renovated several years ago into a more modern place.
The movie theater has long since closed......judging by the title of the feature, the photo is probably 1962-1964 time. All the advertising was handpainted back then. You'd be hard pressed to find crowds like that at any theater nowadays. Back then, there wasn't much else to do. Bruce Lee movies always drew the big crowds. Thanks for posting!

Return to “Society and culture”