Safety: Us vs. Them

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
parrot
udonmap.com

Safety: Us vs. Them

Post by parrot » April 17, 2019, 2:59 pm

There are times when I'd love to drive a pickup truck, loaded with 10 people in the back, through a small city in the US......or a motorcycle with a 2yr old standing on the front and an older child on the back........or post a sign on my restaurant advising customers that 'sorry, we no longer use hot water to wash our dishes'.......or start selling beef in my neighborhood supermarket hanging by the hoof, unrefrigerated. Just for grins.

So when the Consumer Protection Agency recalls 5 million baby swings because of 32 deaths, you'd think 'this is good'...........But then I wondered how many Thai children, if any, die in the ubiquitous Isaan baby rocker. Apparently not many......as I've never seen anything in the press about the dangers of these things.

Different strokes for different folks.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... 093ed28005
Attachments
bed.jpg
bed.jpg (8.07 KiB) Viewed 2692 times

bluejets
udonmap.com

Re: Safety: Us vs. Them

Post by bluejets » April 17, 2019, 5:14 pm

mmm...I think the same when I see a tree branch stuck in a pothole on the road or a 6 foot drop off on a footpath where you have to think "avoid that".
In many ways for me it is part of the attraction of Thailand that keeps me coming back.
Not that I care to be racked up because of any of it, rather that back in Aus at least it has become so far off to the extreme that it is ridiculous.
Sad part is it costs the country big time but the numnuts don't seem to realise it.

This one apparently get over $130,000 a year ....mmm....no brains though sadly.

What's that..?? 2 ended bus...ah, ok.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/traffic-contr ... 1900.html
Attachments
RoadWorkx.jpg

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » April 17, 2019, 5:19 pm

Yep, random electrocutions, drownings, zip-line failure deaths are all part of the charm. It's so to exotic and oriental mystique-like to watch people die in such unique and unusual ways.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » April 17, 2019, 11:56 pm

SEEN a lot here , Arc welding ,flip flops ,shorts no shirt ,gas welding goggles , Angle grinding ,no eye protection, and the above attire , Driving in flip flop = to driving in high heels , Petrol strimmer ,usual no eye protection , leg cover , and the usual flip flops , It's easier to list the safety gear they don't have ,( or to be fair can't afford ) This reminds me , i've just visited the Gov hospital , Nephew became totally paralised , Him and his brother both went to work in Israel ,He was farming cows milking etc and driving the tractor ,the other brother was looking after flowers etc ,i read this brother the riot act before he went about safety gear , breathing and full overalls when spraying the pesticides ,( i know full well the Israelies don't give a toss or enforce the use of safety gear ,IF AVAILABLE ) The brother working the cows i never bothered telling ,but he for a very short period was requested to spray the flowers ,the pesticides did him good and proper , they sent him back at his expense ,no compo nothing , he lost weight down to skin and bone then ballooned like an Elephant ,UNBELIEVABLE , after a year in and out of hospital they finally stablised him all was good for 18 months and now this, the hospital don't know what it is , but are now recommending just Physio as they had him on so much medication in the past , and don't want to risk anymore ,So just a heads up if any members are having family thinking or going out there to work

Natas

Post by Natas » April 18, 2019, 1:22 am

This is called Population Control.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » April 18, 2019, 6:21 am

Giggle wrote:
April 17, 2019, 5:19 pm
Yep, random electrocutions, drownings, zip-line failure deaths are all part of the charm. It's so to exotic and oriental mystique-like to watch people die in such unique and unusual ways.
You would have to be one bagful of joy at a party !!
Dare I say, get a life.

According to all the ex-spurts out there, there is no longer a thing called common sense and reading some of the garbage here at times, I can believe it.

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » April 18, 2019, 10:11 am

The west is way overegulated and most south east asian countries underegulated, safer in the west, more fun in the east.

BillaRickaDickay
udonmap.com

Post by BillaRickaDickay » April 18, 2019, 11:35 am

Mr Hoopoe has raised a good point about insecticides, l see this stuff being used all the time on and around the farms out my way, the G/F mother sprays all the fruit and veg which eventually goes to market, it's difficult to buy stuff that's not been treated.
I often see the neighbours spraying with no mask. G/F cow died last year, the vet said due to weedkiller on the grass it had eaten, 100,000bht down the drain.
He's got his little y-fronts and he's got his little vest, Chaz Jankel, 1998. Mash it up Harry.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » April 18, 2019, 1:14 pm

Life is cheap here , and in most of this region . In Thailand the ruling class like to control the mind and not the deed .
Also Bhudists look at death in a completely different way to us , they are simple moving on in their mind .
Having said that Health and safety in the west has got out of hand in my opinion , just like political correctness .
Liberals are destroying our way of life , for our own sake you understand .

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » April 20, 2019, 12:32 am

bluejets wrote:
April 17, 2019, 5:14 pm
This one apparently get over $130,000 a year ....mmm....no brains though sadly.
Blimey. That's a small fortune and it's hardly brain surgery. Easy money in winter.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Return to “Society and culture”