Assets in the UK

Long distance relationships, mixed relationships etc...
delboyone

Assets in the UK

Post by delboyone » June 23, 2008, 7:35 pm

Hi to all,
Dose anyone no if I was to marry a Thai lady would she be able to clam any of my Assets that I have in the UK

Thanks in advance
delboyone

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » June 23, 2008, 10:35 pm

But why marry?What is the advantage to you? I did it! Nothing but hassle.Dont do it! No need. Unless you dont want to live in sin! :lol:

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » June 24, 2008, 1:38 am

Off the top of my head - I reckon she could if she had an Indefinite Stay Visa or was a naturalised citizen in UK. But she'd have to go there to claim it because I'm not sure a Thai judge would have jurisdiction over assets in GB.

Happy to be shot down in flames if anybody has a more accurate reply for Del :nosey:

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » June 24, 2008, 4:41 am

Now this happened to the infamous Mr Ni*ey...this is what he used to talk about on some of his you-tube videos..(or so he said,could of all been true i suppose).

I would seek legal advice from a UK solicitor.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

delboyone

Post by delboyone » June 24, 2008, 5:06 am

Thanks for the info
Just thought i would ask,

my Thai Girlfriend has never asked what I have in the UK but its better to be safe rather than sorry

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » June 24, 2008, 5:58 am

Always thought they could have 40% once have been in UK for 2 years only.
In Thailand I do not think so,anyway do what i do have a will done for both countries that is if u have assets in ur name here and make sure the Thai will does not revoke the UK one!
As BM says find a solicitor to verify but make sure his fees are classified in the cheap charlie range,they do tend to demand fees for new brogues,cravats etc.

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » June 24, 2008, 6:52 am

Ok my friend who married a thai lady has a company in England, he was advised to get a pre-nuptial signed in english for his english lawyers, his wife did. better to be safe than sorry, pre-nup or foraml legal agreement always betterthen nothing.
Just for the record, common law wifes in england could get 50% after one year, married definitely 50 %, hence the rise in pre-nup and all that stuff.
just for info..........................living together in the UK can be a very expensive exercise. :lol:
Guns

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » June 24, 2008, 7:56 am

Delboy, where do you intend to live? UK or Thailand?

If in LOS cannot see it being a problem, but maybe wrong.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » June 24, 2008, 8:59 am

friend's ex while getting divorce asked thai judge same thing, he said he didin't have juridiction. don't know if the lady was ever in uk, don't think so, and don't believe she followed thru with any proceedings.

i do know that if you have kids, the family services will follow up, and make sure support is paid, if said lady knows she can do that.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » June 24, 2008, 9:31 am

I believe (but am not sure) that if you marry in Thailand and did not register the wedding with the British Embassy, she would not.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » June 24, 2008, 10:14 am

But in that case Arjay,YOU Would'nt be LEGALLY married under BRITISH Law....!!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 24, 2008, 11:38 am

Beg to differ 747, surely a LEGAL document (Thai marriage certificate) to which you and your wife have signed, will be LEGAL in UK as it is in Thailand.
I get certain benefits in kind from my ex employers as part of my retirement package, and all I had to do was scan my Thai marriage certificate and e-mail it to them, they then checked the legallity and my wife now gets the same benefits as me. I'm damn sure if there was a way that they could have got out of the deal (by saying it wasn't legal in UK) they would have done so.

panick
udonmap.com

Post by panick » June 24, 2008, 1:06 pm

stattointhailand wrote:Beg to differ 747, surely a LEGAL document (Thai marriage certificate) to which you and your wife have signed, will be LEGAL in UK as it is in Thailand.
You can shoot me if I'm wrong :shock: ...BUT.... As far as I remember a Thai marriage certificate is not recognised by English law
You can be married here and still be single in the UK :-k

RALPHCUSENS
udonmap.com

Post by RALPHCUSENS » June 24, 2008, 1:15 pm

Panick,

Just to put my two pennies worth in, I have just got notification from the UK pensions dept, that I will receive 54.30 pounds for my wife,(Thai) in addition to my state pension.

This was after submitting my marriage certificate, which they excepted as a legal document.

I would therefore think that a Thai marriage is legally recognized in the UK

:D :D :D

Cap.
udonmap.com

Post by Cap. » June 24, 2008, 1:29 pm

People from all over the wolrd come to Thailand to get married....it's big business..
Surely it's legal in all countries.

panick
udonmap.com

Post by panick » June 24, 2008, 1:30 pm

Ok Ralph...you can shoot me first :D :D
Bring back Saint

RALPHCUSENS
udonmap.com

Post by RALPHCUSENS » June 24, 2008, 1:49 pm

panick wrote:Ok Ralph...you can shoot me first :D :D
Don't worry panick, I only Fire "Blanks" now!!!! :cry: :cry: :) :)

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 24, 2008, 2:10 pm

The marriage will only be recognised under UK law if it is valid under Thai law. For it to be valid in Thai law, the marriage must be registered with the Registrar at an Amphur Office (District Office). A list of some Amphur offices in Bangkok and upcountry.
The Thai marriage will be in Thai only. You may wish to commission a "sworn translation" of the marriage certificate from a translation bureau, so that you may use the document for legal purposes in the U.K.
Consular Section can arrange for your marriage to be recorded in the U.K.; please ask us for further details if you wish us to do so. This is not a legal obligation.
Please note that a foreign national does not automatically acquire British nationality through marriage to a British national.
If you are marrying a Thai national, he or she will require a visa to visit or settle in the UK.

Hope this helps clear up a few points :D

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 24, 2008, 2:13 pm

By the way Panick ................................ BANG :lol:

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » June 24, 2008, 4:06 pm

Thai Amphur marriage is recognised, Thai local village everyone agrees marriage is not.
If married Amphur your wife could if she so wished go to england to lay claim, hence my previous post.
More and more are becoming aware and more and more are taking up that option, be safe not sorry.
Guns

Return to “Relationships”