Assets in the UK

Long distance relationships, mixed relationships etc...
stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 24, 2008, 4:15 pm

I hope my wife does go to England to claim what is rightfully hers when I'm gone ... she deserves it much more than any of my 'so n so' family back there :lol:

I've arranged our wills in Thai/English and made sure that a good mate back in UK will help her through the Red Tape.

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » June 24, 2008, 4:19 pm

Well done, just a small point as you are aware under Englishlaw ther are DEATH DUTIES, now if a house is involved the duties would be hig, however if in joint names, no death duties to the spouse for her place of habitation, the other thing is putting things in trust for her at least 7 years before you shuffle off, again cuts death duties, if I had anything left in UK I would but i moved everything out for just that reason.
Guns

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 24, 2008, 4:25 pm

Ditto, Sold the house to finance living here. Still have bank account etc there, which I should try to get made joint (without her knowing :lol: ).

panick
udonmap.com

Post by panick » June 24, 2008, 4:53 pm

stattointhailand wrote:By the way Panick ................................ BANG :lol:
Ha Ha missed!....... :lol:
Ralph's a better shot but only fires blanks :lol: =D>

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » June 24, 2008, 5:15 pm

Guns, If by "Death Duties", you mean Inheritance Tax (IHT) in the UK, then that's not likely to be an issue, unless your estate will be worth more than £600K (about 39m baht)! And £700K sterling from 2010.

I doubt that would be an issue to most retired farangs in Udon, though I may be wrong.

So you could will it to whoever without incurring any IHT in the UK. I don't know about taxes in LOS though.

http://www.financemarkets.co.uk/2007/10 ... ow-600000/

gulfman
udonmap.com

Post by gulfman » June 24, 2008, 8:08 pm

I believe the present threhold for UK inheritance tax is Stg 312,000 and this is based on your world wide assets, not just those in UK :shock: (Check out the difference between UK Resident and UK Domiciled). :?

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » June 24, 2008, 8:16 pm

I agree many farangs may not own a large enough house to meet those criteria, however inheritance tax is paid before anything is paid to whomever, only joint owned stuff is not subject I know my family had to pay dutioes on mums estate before we got anything, the lawyers have to pay it to the treasury.
yes it is subject to worldwide assests, so all of you think, your hopuse is probably worth more than you think, even though prices have dropped, my friend lives in a 3 down two up and bath in maidenhead value 300,000 ppounds, need i say more.
A bit of financial prudence can save thousands.
Guns

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » June 24, 2008, 8:21 pm

stattointhailand wrote:Beg to differ 747, surely a LEGAL document (Thai marriage certificate) to which you and your wife have signed, will be LEGAL in UK as it is in Thailand.
I get certain benefits in kind from my ex employers as part of my retirement package, and all I had to do was scan my Thai marriage certificate and e-mail it to them, they then checked the legallity and my wife now gets the same benefits as me. I'm damn sure if there was a way that they could have got out of the deal (by saying it wasn't legal in UK) they would have done so.
I Was ALMOST certain that you had to register the marriage at The British Embassy for it to be recognised hence become LEGAL in The U.K,But IF I was incorrect I will eat "Humble " Pie for Dinner Tomorrow !!!!S-O-R-R-Y !!

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » June 24, 2008, 8:30 pm

This gives more clarification about IHT if one is non Uk domiciled:

http://www.tenerifenews.com/cms/front_c ... idart=7119

Governor

Re: Assets in the UK

Post by Governor » November 28, 2008, 4:34 am

delboyone wrote:Hi to all,
Dose anyone no if I was to marry a Thai lady would she be able to clam any of my Assets that I have in the UK

Thanks in advance
delboyone

Hide Hide Hide your assets in the uK from her. This is thailand. After a while you will see the women here are just little biittcchheess forgive my french. A good laywer will tell you the same. Hide your assets.
If she has a visa to UK and goes there for divorse then Yes she can but under normal circumstan they are too slow poor stupid to do that unless you have bank books lying around.
You will find that you tire very quick of just one girl and like me and everybody i know be naughty after a few drinks so don't risk her knowing about your UK assets. keep your money in a second UK bank that she does not know about and pretend to be poor on the first Uk bank that she knows about. That's what i did with 1st wife and my current wife and soon my next wife.

Childsplay, Use and abuse.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » November 28, 2008, 6:48 am

Dose anyone no if I was to marry a Thai lady would she be able to clam any of my Assets that I have in the UK
very simple solution to that.................................DON'T GET MARRIED................. :yikes:

as stated earlier, I believe, but may be mistaken, though don't think so, that since married (amphur registered), all legal protection or vunerbilities, depending what side of the asset table you sit, apply to both parties, the usual 50/50 of equities earned after marriage, and what ever you local laws apply to pension/retirements.

though, a thai judge has no juridiction on foreign law, so they would have to file in your home country. maybe with the exception of child support. possible can set a judgement on income, but not assets, this one i'm iffy on. then if ordered to pay, if you are not here, how to garnish without a legal hassle, but sure it is possible, though may be a long battle for ex to actually collect anything. hopefully, the responsible male would provide for any offspring the leave behind, it would be cheap enough for out of court agreement, if she just wants a normal 'thai' payment. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Pakawala
udonmap.com

Post by Pakawala » November 28, 2008, 7:15 am

Why mess around?? Just distribute your assets the way you want with a WILL. It's just that simple. :-"

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » November 28, 2008, 7:25 am

Pakawala wrote:Why mess around?? Just distribute your assets the way you want with a WILL. It's just that simple. :-"
I would suggest, as I have done, making two wills.One re;UK assets, which I have lodged with my solicitor there, which also clearly states assets outside of the country are subject of a second will deposited here in Thailand. Neither supersedes the other.Thats if I haven't spent everything.Trying hard. :lol:

Governor

Post by Governor » November 28, 2008, 7:48 pm

laphanphon wrote:
very simple solution to that.................................DON'T GET MARRIED................. :yikes:

as stated earlier, I believe, but may be mistaken, though don't think so, that since married (amphur registered), all legal protection or vunerbilities, depending what side of the asset table you sit, apply to both parties, the usual 50/50 of equities earned after marriage, and what ever you local laws apply to pension/retirements.

though, a thai judge has no juridiction on foreign law, so they would have to file in your home country. maybe with the exception of child support. possible can set a judgement on income, but not assets, this one i'm iffy on. then if ordered to pay, if you are not here, how to garnish without a legal hassle, but sure it is possible, though may be a long battle for ex to actually collect anything. hopefully, the responsible male would provide for any offspring the leave behind, it would be cheap enough for out of court agreement, if she just wants a normal 'thai' payment. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Get married for the right reasons. Does she have assets like a good house (perhaps that you helped pay for?) or land. Forget about love. Love is only real before you climax. if you marry will she help you find new climaxs or get in the way of you climaxing. most women are the latter so be careful. Don't be fooled, Use and abuse them.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 28, 2008, 8:12 pm

Governor wrote:
laphanphon wrote:

Get married for the right reasons. Does she have assets like a good house (perhaps that you helped pay for?) or land. Forget about love. Love is only real before you climax. if you marry will she help you find new climaxs or get in the way of you climaxing. most women are the latter so be careful. Don't be fooled, Use and abuse them.
Governor, thus far all your posts have shared a common theme, including the one deleted already.

Please feel free to take your misogynistic (or trolling) views, and fukc off to another forum.

Either that, or hopefully you will be (deservedly) banned in very short order.

hxjohn
udonmap.com

Post by hxjohn » November 29, 2008, 6:16 am

:( you guys in thailand :lol: :lol: :lol: over the last few years i have found a lot of usefull info on this site so i will always drop back but some of the posts are :oops: :oops: :oops:

Return to “Relationships”