Did somethnig very stupid today

General Udon Thani topics only!
bumper
udonmap.com

Did somethnig very stupid today

Post by bumper » August 23, 2008, 12:54 pm

You would think by now I would have known better to get involved in the silliness. Guess it was just one of those days.

My wife had just placed her items on the counter when this woman walks up pushes here way in like she was really somebody, for all I know she might have been. My wife being polite said nothing

As a norm I Wouldn't have said a word. But this woman just hit me wrong rude and arroagant and insulting to my wife. I stepped between her and the sales clerk and just started jabbering away in english. When I knew she knew what it felt like. I turned around and told her in Thai that she was being rude and to be nice.

Man doing those kind of things serve no purpose. I'm not going to change the fact that she is a jerk.

Wife got all over me and the truth is she is right.

I have never done anything like that before. I'm retired I have all the time in the world. Guess she just hit my hot button. [-X

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » August 23, 2008, 1:01 pm

Yes stupid maybe, but I for one do not blame you, last time that happened to me, I just left the items I wanted on the counter and walked off, when the shop staff said I have to pay, I said bye bye, now I have no problems.
Some Thais are more than arrogant they are just plain rude, and they are probably anti farang to boot.
Bt no never mind, keep smiling, wife has a choice you or Thai's, when I said that to mine she agreed the person concerned was rude, now she speaks.

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » August 23, 2008, 1:08 pm

I have to express my self the day my wife takes a thai side right or wrong that I day I move out and move out alone I take my ATM card and boogie she can have it all because I don't need that crap sorry Git but that my feelings because I am ready to defend her against my most loved family members because she is my WIFE right or wrong you can always discuss the issue at home between the two of you with no one interference

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » August 23, 2008, 1:17 pm

git, i have to disagree, in my book you did the right thing , i would of done exactly what you did only probably not so polite. if these arrogant types don't get put in their place once in a while, they go through there whole lives thinking they are right, and f~ck anyone else. no different to drivers seeing you coming but pull out anyway !!!!!!! maybe if more people react the way you did they would stop thinking how special they are and realise that in fact their just ignorant ,selfish a~seholes. having time has got nothing to do with it , its just a matter of good manners and respect for others.

PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by PopsIcafe » August 23, 2008, 1:21 pm

I was at KFC in Nakon Si Thammarat, having lunch with the in-laws. I had finish what I wanted to eat and decided to get some ice cream. I got up to the counter, luck would have it, another customer with a dozen kids ordering ice cream. I waited patiently for my turn. While waiting another young Thai girl (in her mid 20's) walked up to the counter. As soon as the customer with all the kids paid for her orders, the young Thai girl made an attempt to order. The young Thai lady was nice enough to tell the girl to wait and asked me what I would like. The young Thai girl wasn't happy at all, and I grinned from ear to ear when paid for my order. I made sure see saw how happy I was, and even said "Khrop Khun Khrap" to her too. So there are some nice cashiers that would do the right thing.

I think your wife was more upset with that you had a confrontation with her. Confrontation is a "NO NO" here in Thailand.

Pop's :pirate:

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 23, 2008, 1:52 pm

I think your wife was more upset with that you had a confrontation with her. Confrontation is a "NO NO" here in Thailand.

DON'T WATCH A LOT OF THAI TV THEN POP's :evil: :fryingpan: :fryingpan: ](*,) :-# :twisted:

Tony Croweater
udonmap.com

Post by Tony Croweater » August 23, 2008, 1:52 pm

Git, I would have done the same as you without thinking first. BUT, don't you know? Thais are always served FIRST, farang LAST in certain retail outlets at the discretion of the shopkeeper and the (Thai) customer. :roll: That is (unfortunately) how it is, and we have to (grudgingly at times) accept the fact. :?

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » August 23, 2008, 2:01 pm

Tony not me sorry I have a big loud mouth and I use it when the occasion fits and some one jumping a head of me on line is one of those occasions and I expect 100% support from my wife
and I will NOT accept any lip service from any one present

Tony Croweater
udonmap.com

Post by Tony Croweater » August 23, 2008, 2:12 pm

Ron, that's how I do business here in farangland (when the wife's not with me), and I found it pretty difficult to shut up when last resident in LOS. But I'm determined to be better behaved when I return. Note to self when in LOS: Staaaay caaaalm, staaaay caaaalm!

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » August 23, 2008, 2:13 pm

Wife really didn't say much but you could tell she was embarrassed and she worry's about the nine guys with the woman. Weren't there but that is how she thinks. She meant well.

Most of the time I run a Mai Pben Lai attitude keeps my blood pressure down. The wife is slowly getting stronger I think she succes stupid drivers more then I do.

Interestingly enough in the experience I really didn't get angry. But, for a society that prides itself on being courtesy I would say there are those that have some room for improvement.

Surprisingly this is a very rare experience for me, most places we are treated the same as anyone.

I'm never proud of going over the line, always look at myself first.

Mr Natural
udonmap.com

Post by Mr Natural » August 23, 2008, 2:28 pm

Git,
Hard to do but I agree that avoiding confrontation is the best route for a farang in Thailand. But, we do not need to be stepped on it the process.
Next time try-
Ka thawt krup, tat bpai bpen phom. (Excuse me, I'm next.)

If you are ignored and want to make a stronger point say-
Khun khit waa khun bpen arai? (Who do you think you are?)

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » August 23, 2008, 2:30 pm

Some more to add to the list :lol:

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » August 23, 2008, 2:54 pm

It's happened to me a few times at Big C, but before I can say anything the cashier politely tells the line jumper something and they go away mumbling something about farang or the cashier ignores the line jumper and serves me. And if this happens to my wife, she won't put up the that crap and she lets them know, face or no face she doesn't play that game.

Interesting thing happen to me while at Big C yesterday. I was waiting my turn at the check out when a clerk in a red visit and walkie talkie comes up and grabs my shopping cart and guides me over to the express line. She gives another customer the boot that's waiting there and tells her to go to the check out I was in. I felt embarrassed because I clearly had over the amount for the express line, so I let another customer who just walked up with a with a few items ahead of me.

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » August 23, 2008, 2:56 pm

It is amazing how selfish and bad mannered some of these Thais are..This has happened to me several times.I think There are "Farang haters" here.I have yet to see them do it to there own people.If that happen to me,and my ex T/w was there she would have gone crazy!My wife now, would'nt say a word!
7/11 it happens regulary.I just look down on them say "Mai soo pahp" Impolite!.They never bat an eye lid!They wont even look at you because they know they are wrong and embarassed. I have been in front of queue some one has 1 or 2 items behind me, I give them go first.But there is good and bad here same as everywhere.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » August 23, 2008, 3:23 pm

Had this loads of times, you didn't do wrong git,it is bad manners to us and gets right up my nose along with litter droppers but maybe some of our friends have been brought up with-out some certain skills,or maybe they do hate us..!! so many times i have let it slide as i am sure you have too Git and others, but if it gets you on a bad day then go for it, but i never make a habit of it sabai sabai and all that,and since my Mrs has spent time in Farangland she is getting the hang of it also ,KFC's,(getting ice creams, and the look on the persons face when told to wait is priceless.!!.) 7-11's and Jet jiffy from memory amongst other stores have had staff that tell the Q jumpers to wait.

thalenoi
udonmap.com

Post by thalenoi » August 23, 2008, 3:50 pm

We walked out of that noodle shop we often visit to order some coconut sweets a lady usually makes at the entrance. GF places her order and a group of people walk up to the stall. One man looks and acts important. He orders and get served first.
Angry GF walks away and we never ordered sweets there any more.

That's the attitude I like, surprising for a Thai isn't :D

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » August 23, 2008, 3:53 pm

The loss of face in an establishment/shop....no my Mrs wouldn't go back either.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » August 23, 2008, 4:22 pm

thalenoi wrote:GF places her order and a group of people walk up to the stall. One man looks and acts important. He orders and get served first.
Angry GF walks away and we never ordered sweets there any more.
There's that old Thai status thing kicking in again. Who are these Thai men that feel they are so important and have they got the front to back it up? I doubt it. :roll:

Pakawala
udonmap.com

Post by Pakawala » August 23, 2008, 4:22 pm

It's not always bad. I was in Tesco a couple days ago with a double arm load of 'stuff' and walked up to the check-out stand. One woman was ahead of me and had loaded her stuff on the conveyor belt already. The cashier just finished with the previous customer and the woman in front of me told me to 'go ahead', as she could see I really didn't have all that much. I smiled and thanked her. :D
Stay atop the grass

rufus
udonmap.com

Post by rufus » August 23, 2008, 4:23 pm

The ones I hate are when the lift doors open and in they barge. I just walk out and if i collide with anyone, well tough luck.

Return to “General Udon Thani Forum”