What kind of service do you miss from farangland?

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
Bangsean_girl
udonmap.com

What kind of service do you miss from farangland?

Post by Bangsean_girl » August 25, 2008, 1:03 pm

Hi yall,
Many people may see me post a few things on this forum already,
some may wonder why the girl who called herself as bangsan girl be in
this udonmap forum! Anyway, I'm studying last year in Burapha
University located in Bangsean, Chonburi. However, I'm ready to come back to my motherland called Udonthani! Wondering if I can get any job there, then come up with the idea if I can use my knowledge to be useful for you guys around Udonthani. I'm looking at opening a business, and I would like you input on what you think that Udon needs. I'm wodering if there is any kind of service in your hometown that you miss it the most and wish there could be this kind of service in udonthani OR any kind of service that you think it will help farangs life in Udonthani easier. Any ideas would be great ideas for me and you in the future :lol:
cheerio
Pra- loy

braddarr

Mc D's

Post by braddarr » August 25, 2008, 1:18 pm

Well I don't live in Udon yet but I keep in touch through this forum. And I think you have an excellent idea here.
I think the one thing I miss the most when I am there is McDonalds. I don't know why but for some reason I get tired of the curry and spices all the time and just want a double cheese from McD's.
I really don't know that you would be able to open one of those but I will think of something else and let you know.

kakariki
udonmap.com

Post by kakariki » August 25, 2008, 6:23 pm

Hi
What were you studying at university and what qualifications did you get, maybe someone can suggest something based on what your expertise.
BB

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » August 25, 2008, 8:44 pm

Good Idea you have there. Something that keeps raising it's head here is the ability to talk and convey Falang thought on construction of homes and home repair. It would require a bit more study on your part to understand how things are done in Falang land and then how things are done in Thailand and then combine the two. The reason I put in home repair as this always was a problem and still is for a lot of folks. Maybe having a place to call and that person refers a repairman of quality and good knowledge would be very helpful. Remember you will be doing the translating. You would need a plumber, electrician, cabinet maker, carpenter, exterminator, Heating and AC repairman. Anyway you get the point.

Good luck on what ever you do.

mighty-chang
udonmap.com

Post by mighty-chang » August 26, 2008, 6:58 am

welcome back to udon Bangsean_girl .There is nothing i miss back home in England but it maybe an idea to open a small convenance shop that sells certain foods that are hard for the farang to obtain in udon example branston pickle , heinze baked beans , home made bread pickled onions etc etc (just a thought ) do your research and good luck!!!

chok dee from the mighty chang

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » August 26, 2008, 9:13 am

i can think of 2 ideas, which i wouldn't base just toward farangs, as many more thai customers out there. dependable staffing would be the only problem i see, but you could manage and promote the businesses fairly easy.

one is maid services, most like myself or others, don't need a live in, just a weekly or bi-monthly wipe down and general cleaning. the daily things i can keep up with. but when having the house, a bit larger, and single, or if married with couple kids, then time is a problem. they have these in the states, and used by the uppity crowd, which is what you want.

the other, is water pressure service. washing down outside surfaces of fungus. most people don't have or think about using a pressure washer. or the time to put in.

two areas i don't see advertised, but myself, do or could of used help in the past.

with your english skills, translation service is an easy one for you. all things you can manage on small scale and should be profitable.

as far as missing anything from USA, except for some food items, which at the prices i have to pay here, are worth it to me, with few exception, i don't miss much. the 2 things i do miss, which wouldn't work for you, is street cleaners, it is dusty here, after a ride thru town on motorbike, i wipe off face to a brown tinted paper towel. yikes. and not the use, but threat of good lawyers. that would put an end to corruption, with fear of exposure and conviction, but since it is tolerated and runs deep, that's just 2 things i will have to accept. 8)

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » August 26, 2008, 10:03 am

I agree, maid service would be a good idea, but it is the checking odf the maids that would be a problem, having tried a few maids most do NOT clean to western standards, which means problems, so maybe a Maid teaching school, would be advantageous, athrown inwith some simple m,aid cleaning english, now that would make hiring her more expensive but for thefarang very useful.
Guns

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » August 26, 2008, 10:16 am

laphanphon wrote: one is maid services, most like myself or others, don't need a live in, just a weekly or bi-monthly wipe down and general cleaning. the daily things i can keep up with. but when having the house, a bit larger, and single, or if married with couple kids, then time is a problem. they have these in the states, and used by the uppity crowd, which is what you want.
Here's what he's talking about...

http://www.mollymaid.com/MainMaidService.aspx

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » August 26, 2008, 12:00 pm

There is a cleaning company here http://www.faroh-east.com/clean_e.html but I'm not sure if they do single houses or not, looks more like hotels, hospitals etc.

I agree a maid service would be a very good idea, we're currently looking for someone to clean the office but don't know where to look.

Also, how about an employment agency like manpower? It would be very handy for people looking for a job to be able to enroll with an agency and be linked up with companies offering jobs. Private companies would then be assured that the staff they're employing have already been assessed and passed basic in-house training etc.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » August 26, 2008, 1:33 pm

what i would really love to see here is a reliable taxi service that runs proper cars like BKK with air con , drivers that are not on a death wish or think they are mad max , that you can call in english and book a car for a good night out and return home comfortably and safely , at a realistic price !!!!!!! what ever you do , do not go down the builder handyman road , as a builder in the U K for over thirty years, i can assure you doing that here is a mine field , you have a very mixed bunch of farang here , and everyone of them has different expectations and requirements . L A s idea of maid service and driveway and terrace cleaning is very sound, it would be reasonable inexpensive to set up and operate and im sure you could build a client base very quickly , i for one would use a service like this on a fairly regular basis. what ever you decide, your already showing initiative , so i wish you good luck in whatever.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » August 26, 2008, 4:36 pm

Bangsean Girl,

With your excellent English language skills, I would open a translation office.
Helping the foreign community with official documents.

In the same office your could do what Lee suggests and have a manpower agency, cleaners, building services, transport, e.g. owners of minibuses who could take parties of customers, to Laos, Golf trips.

All you need is a nice clean shophouse in a good area to rent. Inside the ring road.

Second idea import foreign food items that the Thai supermarkets don't sell, but are popular with the foreign community.
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

westerby
udonmap.com

Re: What kind of service do you miss from farangland?

Post by westerby » August 30, 2008, 3:45 pm

A proper Farang book shop, even a secondhand one would do. But Fuzzy Ken probably has that end tied up already.

I'll qualify the statement above by pointing out that I don't live in UTH.

nola-udon
udonmap.com

Post by nola-udon » August 30, 2008, 5:17 pm

Power washing to clean mold, fungus and mildew from homes and fences would go over real well with me. Even new developments look like slums after a year or two. :yikes:

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » August 30, 2008, 7:04 pm

American T,V, programs cable internet service or a excellent satellite service which could handle both TV programs as well as Internet I think I would have a better chance of hitting the lottery twice in the same week

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Re:

Post by WBU ALUM » August 30, 2008, 11:13 pm

laphanphon wrote:street cleaners, it is dusty here, after a ride thru town on motorbike, i wipe off face to a brown tinted paper towel. yikes.
I've noticed that, too. In the US after a heavy rain, the streets improve in their maneuverability, since after 15 minutes or so the road grime is washed away. However, I've noticed in Udon that the road film and grime seems to worsen as the rains continue. #-o

Return to “Open Forum”