been a victim of "THAI TIME "

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
mighty-chang
udonmap.com

been a victim of "THAI TIME "

Post by mighty-chang » August 22, 2008, 7:37 am

Has it ever happend to "YOU"? Have you yorself been a victim of thai time ??. Well i can tell you i have and it sort of sends me into killing mode. There are 2 situations of thai time. 1. Turning up when they feel like after arranging to meet at a given time 2. The way they tell the time in 6 hour periods ie 8am = 2 oclock this causes me to turn in killing mode when i have been confused in the past to what time a advent is taken place. Has any one fell victim to thai time in the past?

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » August 22, 2008, 8:02 am

yes, but when you make them realise, that their time costs them money in lost work, wages etc, then they learn very very quickly.
Whewn I have a party and I say 7 pm, those turning up at 9pm have no food, ,they soon learn. What is more interesting is their faces.
next time they are always arriving wtihin 30 minutes of of the start time.
Guns

Pakawala
udonmap.com

Post by Pakawala » August 25, 2008, 9:34 am

No, M.C., I don't think you are a VICTIM of Thai Time. You're in Thailand, so you must be a victim of your OWN time schedule. Yes, Thia Time is a bit different from what most of us are used to but it you will only consider the following... if they say 2 pm, just remember anything between 2 pm and approximately 5 minutes to 3 is STILL 2 pm - that is, it's not yet 3 pm. :D

mighty-chang
udonmap.com

Post by mighty-chang » August 25, 2008, 10:35 pm

Pakawala believe it of not i am from England that makes me English yes watson from the uk .... this was a light hearted thread that illustrates the differents of "time" from the way a farang find's the importance of a clock and the way it could be confused from the whole concept of "thai time" the whole concept of tine is so easy to be misunderstood ...so pakawala rather than acting like a stupid tourist on a random ego trip my generla feelings are come back with humour or a light remark that will make people feel a bit better and go with the general flow

chok dee to all

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » August 26, 2008, 1:03 am

I do enjoy the Thai concept of time. It illustrates their laid back attitude to punctuality. Interestingly, the Thais that I know in UK also adhere to this vague notion of time keeping.

Pakawala
udonmap.com

Post by Pakawala » August 26, 2008, 7:38 am

Well MIGHTY-Chang, I don't believe anyone doubts your nationality ("...believe it of not i am from England that makes me English yes watson from the uk"), my post only states that you are NOW in Thailand thus you might consider adapting to your host nation. There was no animosity directed towards you or your nationality, only a suggestion that might help you adapt to the LOCAL time situation as understood by the LOCAL folks.

Also, although I have not lived in Thailand for the majority of my life, I AM an expat who tries to adapt to the local standards... I don't feel I'm "acting like a stupid tourist on a random ego trip". Rather by attempting to adapt to my host nation I feel quite the opposite. And in reference to "humour or a light remark that will make people feel a bit better"... I did manage to place a smiley face at the end of my post.

GEEZ, CHILL OUT!!

Thanks for the good luck wish.
8)

mighty-chang
udonmap.com

Post by mighty-chang » August 26, 2008, 8:27 am

No Pakawala what you fail to understand i am a so called "farang" that means i will not adapt regauding punctuality ,8am means 8am etc If they are late i will explain they waisting my time both thai or farang. If face is lost they will think about being late again . However on the contrary flip side to this if they meet me on time i will do a polite smile and do whatever we plan to do.
I don't do wai's i do hand shakes after all i am a so called "farang" it get's up my nose when i see farang trying to be thai cause we just are not !!!!WE ARE FARANG. Be polite at all times in thailand after all this is their great country or which we are only a guests .

CHOK DEE the mighty chang

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » August 26, 2008, 9:25 am

About half the time ''Thai Time''is acceptable to me as I am retired and trying to go with the flow!

Whenever their is a schedule that is important to me,I make it very clear that being on time or early is expected if they want to continue future respectful relations! :lol:

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » August 26, 2008, 8:43 pm

nice to see your making a real effort to accept thai culture and fit in here M C NOT. :( :( :( :(

mighty-chang
udonmap.com

Post by mighty-chang » August 26, 2008, 9:22 pm

saint i do try to fit in here but to wai a 7/11 girl when they give you change is a bit over top my dear watson i say be yourself and be polite within the morals you were passed on as a young child embrace them feel them offer them

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » August 27, 2008, 11:49 am

I only wai people that are close''friends'' or associates.I acknowledge the wais of most others with a head nod and a smile!

panick
udonmap.com

Post by panick » August 27, 2008, 4:20 pm

mighty-chang wrote: Be polite at all times in thailand after all this is their great country or which we are only a guests .

CHOK DEE the mighty chang
and then you say
to wai a 7/11 girl when they give you change is a bit over top
Why is it over the top?

A wai is respectful and a show of common politeness.....its the same as hello/goodbye and at times thank you......

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » August 28, 2008, 12:52 am

panick wrote:A wai is respectful and a show of common politeness.....its the same as hello/goodbye and at times thank you......
...or maybe, 'excuse me, I've made a boo boo.' For example, a wai could be used by by Thai people when arriving late for a Farang party. Loosen up a bit, chaps, if a Thai isn't punctual then it's not the end of the World. Save the anal retentivity for Farangland and remember that most of you have come to LOS to retire!

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » August 28, 2008, 5:04 am

My Gf and I use both Thai time and Farang time, its confirmed before the appointment or schedule is negotiated.

Eg, we are going to the bank today at 1600 hrs, that is farang time, as banks shut using Farang time !!

They also use farang time for the commencement of the lunch break and thai time for the completion.

Eating out, well if she is late , hew mak !!!

saint
udonmap.com

Re: been a victim of "THAI TIME "

Post by saint » August 28, 2008, 10:34 pm

surely the thai laid back attitude to life , is the same reason they have a laid back attitude to punctuality or lack of . i for one dont really have a problem with it , its just part and parcel to life here . they usually turn up within the hour . i wonder if they lived their lives by the minute hand of the clock would they be stressed out and neurotic like most people in farangland ? probably . the thai attitude to life makes thailand such a pleasant place to be, in my book , long may it continue. another angle to this attitude they have for time not really being important i witnessed very recently. im having a house built at the moment and a few weeks back they was laying the concrete overfloors , which is usually done late afternoon to slow down the drying process with the cool of evening . anyway the concrete truck had problems and instead of arriving at 4.30 pm as planned , it didnt get there till 5.30 pm, this meant all 12 people on site who should of finished work at 5.00 pm was going to be late home by at least an hour. how many of the 12 complained about this fact, not one , not only that but they all got stuck in when the concrete did arrive with a smile and joking about the situation . i went of to get them some beer as a thankyou for staying . they actually finished at 7.00 pm , drank their beers and went home at dusk . no one complained , and above all , not one mention of extra pay or overtime to the main contractor whatsoever . i was amazed . would this ever happen in a country where people live , work and die by the clock ? i think not.

mighty-chang
udonmap.com

Post by mighty-chang » August 30, 2008, 8:05 am

good post saint but what you wrote about was a story about how the thai's conduct their business and at the end of the day you concete was done and dryed overnight all was well. However it is when punctuality effect,s me directly and the contracted work does not get done to the standard of what i have set my expectations . I will state my displeasure there and then i will not tolerate incompetence any side of the world but on the other hand if the work is completed to a standard that i think is satisfactory i will smile and tell them so (LOGICAL to state the inner feeling of yeee soul) me thinks

Ba Bob
udonmap.com

Post by Ba Bob » August 30, 2008, 2:59 pm

Anything that's important should be given in 24 hour time and there is no misunderstanding(but that don't stop ppl being late).
Wai on the other hand is usually a sign of respect to someone of seniority or an equal and if you notice a lot of older Thais don't even bother to return them to their juniors so to wai or not to wai is up to you. 7/11 your kidding :roll:

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » August 30, 2008, 4:01 pm

TT&T will go to my house on Thursday , appointment confirmed for 3.pm onwards to replace the ADLS router.

Received a call at 5.30 pm, to say busy, tomorrow ( Friday ) same time

Saturday 4.00 pm, still waiting.

Am i a victim ??

Return to “Open Forum”