Brit Fled Thailand Fearing For His Life.

Thailand news, views and comments
beer monkey
udonmap.com

Brit Fled Thailand Fearing For His Life.

Post by beer monkey » August 29, 2008, 3:35 pm

Fled Thailand fearing for his life

Stephen Jones (64) saw his dream of a luxury life in Thailand with a young local woman shatter, ending in what he believes was an attempt to kill him.
Published Date: 29 August 2008
By Louise Brain

A retired individual's Lynn man has told how he walked a very similar path to a Brit brutally murdered by his Thai bride – and lost everything in the process.
Stephen Jones (64) became familiar with Thailand on business trips and decided he could build a dream existence when he plucked a young woman from street poverty there and used his substantial life savings and inheritance to create a home with her.

But, when the relationship fell apart he started to fear for his safety and even believes a local tried to kill him.

Mr Jones fled to individual's Lynn (uk), where he has family close by, and is now living in a housing association home and living on benefits, while his former partner continues to enjoy the luxurious surroundings they created together and he tries to navigate the Thai legal system to get a share in it.

The dream shattered even more savagely for Ian Beeston (69) – who lived close to Mr Jones and moved in some of the same circles – when he was reportedly stabbed and beaten to death by his bride and her lover earlier this month.

Mr Jones said: “It’s a ridiculous situation, I regret that I ever went to Thailand.

“I haven’t got a home, haven’t got a car, haven’t any money.”

Mr Jones met his partner – some 20 years his junior – in the notorious resort of Pattaya, known for its bars of prostitutes, in 2000. It is the same area where Mr Beeston is said to have found his bride.

Mr Jones said when he met his partner she was living in a room with her two children with no electricity, no water and no bathroom, but he bought land and poured nearly £300,000 into creating a large home, complete with swimming pool and full mod-cons for them. He said they were happy and lived as an English man and wife would for seven years. But when the money started running out the relationship dissolved.

Earlier this year he was mown down by a local on a motorcycle in what he believes was a deliberate attack on his life.

The former owner of Walsingham restaurant Maitai, who is now living in Windmill Court, Winston Churchill Drive, Fairstead, said: “I want to protect other English people from going to Thailand and getting ripped off.”

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/v ... =36&t=9874

lee
udonmap.com

Re: Brit Fled Thailand Fearing For His Life.

Post by lee » August 29, 2008, 4:04 pm

beer monkey wrote:he bought land and poured nearly £300,000 into creating a large home
Wow, 18 million baht. :yikes: That must have been a huge mansion for that money, or the news reporters are telling fibs. :^o
stevejones.jpg
Steve Jones
stevejones.jpg (6.06 KiB) Viewed 1517 times

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » August 29, 2008, 4:08 pm

The old adage, if you can't aford to lose it, don't spend it, springs to mind, however I must agree with Lee, spending that amount of money on a hpouse seems he was being ripped off from the start, again head rules heart or is it body, I do not which , however he is alive but it seems that area pof Thailand is prone to this, maybe farangs should stay away from it or its inhabitants. just an obseation not based on anything concrete. :D

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » August 29, 2008, 4:10 pm

beer monkey wrote:Mr Jones met his partner – some 20 years his junior – in the notorious resort of Pattaya, known for its bars of prostitutes, in 2000. It is the same area where Mr Beeston is said to have found his bride.

Mr Jones said when he met his partner she was living in a room with her two children with no electricity, no water and no bathroom, but he bought land and poured nearly £300,000 into creating a large home, complete with swimming pool and full mod-cons for them. He said they were happy and lived as an English man and wife would for seven years. But when the money started running out the relationship dissolved.

When will they ever learn?
Did he really think with that age gap his "Bride" was in it for love.
That story of the English guy getting chopped up and his body fed to the local wildlife, stirred up the British media, to cover these sham marriages. Especially if the poor sod ends up in a body bag.
This has been going for years. Hundreds, have lost their shirts.
I suppose at the time around 2000, when he stumbled upon his "bride" all the information on the pitfalls was not available.
The last line says it all. It's all about money. :-({|=

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » August 29, 2008, 4:14 pm

No i reckon he did spend £300000 on it...but it just didn't actually cost £300000 if ya know what i mean...nudge nudge wink wink....either that or he is very bitter(obviously) and wanted to exaggerate the whole story, couldn't see a pic of the house, you would of think he would have one that he wanted to show the world.

mighty-chang
udonmap.com

Post by mighty-chang » August 29, 2008, 5:46 pm

should have stayed in the bingo halls and watering the garden ...yet another victim of the deadly realms

treehugger
udonmap.com

Post by treehugger » August 29, 2008, 6:06 pm

With assets of 300,000 pounds he should have been able to arrange to build a dream house (with a mortgage), buy car, m/b etc etc and live a luxurious life with hardly any depreciation of his capital. I am constantly surprised :shock: that 'sensible' (and quite well off) people fail to make approporiate financial planning, and end up losing it all. :cry:

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » August 29, 2008, 8:32 pm

treehugger wrote:With assets of 300,000 pounds he should have been able to arrange to build a dream house (with a mortgage), buy car, m/b etc etc and live a luxurious life with hardly any depreciation of his capital. I am constantly surprised :shock: that 'sensible' (and quite well off) people fail to make approporiate financial planning, and end up losing it all. :cry:
Agree with you th. 300,000 invested wisely plus OAP payment meant he hardly had to touch his capital. I hope he hasn't any siblings from previous relationships. The man was an idiot.

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » August 29, 2008, 9:59 pm

Some wise soul (it might have been Izzix) once said on this forum, 'invest as much in LOS as you can afford to lose.' I still subscribe to that ideal.

I'm afraid I lack sympathy for the characters that get ripped off by these girls, Som Nam Na IMHO.

izzix
udonmap.com

Post by izzix » August 29, 2008, 11:28 pm

he should wear a flashing neon sign on his bonce declaring he is a mug !

izzix
udonmap.com

Post by izzix » August 29, 2008, 11:30 pm

1000s have returned home sans a pot to urinate in ....
it s been going on for 20 years or more ,even Trink way back gave similar stories ...

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » August 30, 2008, 12:20 am

izzix wrote:1000s have returned home sans a pot to urinate in ....
it s been going on for 20 years or more ,even Trink way back gave similar stories ...
Then there's no excuse is there?

Crikey, I'd forgotten all about Trink.

astrid
udonmap.com

Post by astrid » August 30, 2008, 12:33 am

I do have symphany for the poor guy.

Stupid*, yes, but human and a loser in this case, still wish
him luck to get something back.

To say that he deserve it is to go over the line in my book.
Been there my self a few times, got up again, started again and got
things together. Not with a Thai woman though - get !
And most people get a bad deal sooner or later, one way or the other.

The good part of this guys bad deal is that it is written about,
can perhaps open a few eyes for other new farangs to be.

Wish him luck in the future and hope he get back on his feet
in all respect.

As long as there is life, there is hope. \:D/

Bo 8)

* PS. do not mean he was without intelligentsia, rather that he put his money
on an outsider without talking to the members on this forum
first, right Ds.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » August 30, 2008, 1:07 am

:( Everything has been said about these situations and I doubt that I could add anything more,but with this situation and that of the murdered neighbor,I wonder how these guys windup destitute!

Don't they receive a pension or is there some way in the British system that lets them cash out at one time?

The other thought that comes to mind is that both of these men were married for quite awhile and in the articles I've read,there seems to be an inference that when the money gets ''tight'',the relationship deteriates,even though everything is paid for and living expenses are not that high!

This fits right into my cynicism and that of many others I have listened to that say''what you have done in the past doesn't seem to count,only what you can do today and the future matters''!An attitude that pertains to many spoiled children,which might be the key!Maybe we are marrying with ''mental children'' and the end is the result of that ''spoiling''!

Luckily,so far,I had only one negative experience prior to marrying my wife!After getting past my anger and feelings of betrayal,I slowly reflected on ''my behavior'' in the relationship and recognized their were many mistakes in personality,by me,that probably caused a deteriation in the relationship,but she continued it until she had other possible options because of security issues!

This reflection leads me to my other thought about these situations and it is ;I wonder how controlling mentally,how culturally ignorant and how overall difficult these guys were to ''stay with'' for the wives involved?

I am absolutely not justifying murder or ''ripping off'',but the ''face'' issue combined with some ''spoiling'' and a ''controlling attitude'' on the part of the falangs,could have as much bigger part of these situations than we might want to admit!

I find it very challenging to have a ''equal partnership'',a lot of the time,with my wife who lacks ''my'' skills of planning ahead and ''money management''.Thankfully we discuss our feelings with each other,so I am able to ''check'' and reflect on some of my ''controlling behavior''!

''Buying love'' is possibly a difficult concept for ageing men to accept,so it is not surprising that many or most of us stay in denial about the reality involved in these relationships.Maybe some choose to believe that ''Thai women'' don't think like falang women and choose to believe that Thai women actually find falang men 20-50 years older than themselves as objects of desire,emtionally and physically!Denial so strong,that when the money runs out,controls fades and ,all of a sudden,the ''loving wife'' becomes ''the bitch from hell'' and the sole reason the relationship goes belly up!

My thinking is that,in many of these cases,love could have blossomed and carried the day during leaner money times,if more respect could have been shown to the ''partner''!

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » August 30, 2008, 4:46 am

astrid wrote:To say that he deserve it is to go over the line in my book.
...And most people get a bad deal sooner or later, one way or the other.
Everybody gets bad deals, Bo, even me. But some people never assess the risk and go in with their eyes shut.

So how can you call this a bad deal? Nobody forced this Norfolk Half Wit to go to LOS and marry the Slapper who ripped him off. Like Izzix says, this has been going on for years, there is plenty of media evidence for foolish old men to weigh up before taking the plunge.

I also doubt whether he spent as much as 300k on her or an attempt was made on his life by someone on a moped. He's from the Fairstead council estate, a run down part of individual's Lynn. I know it, and its inhabitants, well.

So I stand by what I said, he deserved it. And remember, he wants you to feel sorry for him, that's why he went to the press. It probably helps his bid to get the State to look after him.

Rant over.

P.S BM, where did you get the report from?

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » August 30, 2008, 7:15 am

stans last paragraph says it all !!!! if you go into a relationship where your money is the control , then you deserve to end up broken hearted and skint. not often i agree with westers , but i think he is right , if you wanna kill someone would a moped by your weapon of choice ? besides how many stories do you hear about the thousands of happy farang thai marraiges ? one dipstick gets taken to the cleaners and it makes the press. who cares , i dont.

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » August 31, 2008, 9:48 am

one dipstick gets taken to the cleaners and it makes the press. who cares , i dont.
No neither do most of us, but it is the pcture that the rest of the world sees and it protrays Thai ladies in a bad light.
pre-conceptions then arise and the way some farangs treat Thai's are the result.
Which then leads to more of the same and the wheel starts to turn, giving more ammunition to the govt to make our lives even harder, instead while we are trying to get them to ease some laws and restrictions,the criticism makes them dig their heels in more.
So although I agree, there are many succesful relationships, it is always those that decline in a bad way that makes the press adversly.
Guns

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » August 31, 2008, 10:03 am

BKKSTAN wrote::Don't they receive a pension or is there some way in the British system that lets them cash out at one time?
Stan I imagine that he got his cash like this. Firstly made redundant (between the age of 50-65) & paying into a company pension scheme. The 'redundancy' money guaranteed by the government isn't particularly large, but many companies in the UK will pay over this amount (especially if they are fairly profitable but just want to get rid of staff). On top of this it is possible to take some of your pension (the maximum % amount is set by law) as a 1 off cash payment - but your monthly pension is then reduced. So, if you have worked all your working life for the same company & they are generous & they have a good company pension scheme then a cash lump sum on leaving work of 300,000 GBP certainly isn't impossible. However (under this scenario) he would certainly get a monthly pension, maybe not too much if he was in his early 50's and took the maximum cash lump sum.

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » August 31, 2008, 10:33 am

BKKSTAN wrote:
:Don't they receive a pension or is there some way in the British system that lets them cash out at one time?
yes most citizens of the Uk recieve a pension at age 65 IF they paid into the NI scheme, however many who were self employed did not, that will be to their loss.
The onoly drawback is that
1, If you reside abroad and THEY KNOW then any incrae will NOT be paid
2. You will lose the ability to claim other sweetners whenever they are paid, winter fuel allowance and the like.
Thos ewho gain are those who are in reciept of a company/ govt pension , when they get to 65 they will also recieve a state pension as well.
hope this answers your question BKKStan
Guns

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » August 31, 2008, 11:58 am

Guns482 wrote:
one dipstick gets taken to the cleaners and it makes the press. who cares , i dont.
No neither do most of us, but it is the pcture that the rest of the world sees and it protrays Thai ladies in a bad light.
pre-conceptions then arise and the way some farangs treat Thai's are the result.
Which then leads to more of the same and the wheel starts to turn, giving more ammunition to the govt to make our lives even harder, instead while we are trying to get them to ease some laws and restrictions,the criticism makes them dig their heels in more.
So although I agree, there are many succesful relationships, it is always those that decline in a bad way that makes the press adversly.
sorry guns, but i dont believe the rest of the world is that stupid .

Return to “Thailand News”