Vista

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
aznyron
udonmap.com

Vista

Post by aznyron » October 14, 2008, 1:33 pm

I got email from PC World saying that vista is going in the junk yard and being replace by windows 7
Steve Balmer said and they are extending the life of XP and they also said SP 3 in XP is better than Vista
it worth investigating further to those who are running Vista I went back to XP and downloaded SP 3
I am satisfied with XP I also bought a new Imac with Leopard installed great computer I just need to learn more about Imac

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Re: Vista

Post by beer monkey » October 14, 2008, 3:44 pm

Can't find anything about this on the net...only stuff from 2006.
and nothing on the official windows vista web site either...something about windows 7 being finally being named windows 7, but nothing about vista being binned.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » October 14, 2008, 3:50 pm

B/M go to www.pcworld.com you might find the article if not I will see if I still have it and forward to you

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » October 14, 2008, 4:40 pm

Hi,
Was home to U.K. in August this year, my cousin had bought a new computer which had vista installed, it was the biggest load of c--p i have ever seen, You have about 6 versions and when you buy a new computer you usually get the basic version, cheap charlie, thank goodness they have come to there senses and are starting to install windows again.
Cheers Doug.

snowman
udonmap.com

Post by snowman » October 14, 2008, 9:02 pm

TW has vista on her laptop. Works fine for her and when I use her com don't have any trouble. Don't understand what all the fuss is about :-({|=

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » October 14, 2008, 9:29 pm

I got the Home premium, the cheaper end of lappys seem to have the basic only, and wouldn't describe it as a a load of crap either, its better than my old XP..but not too fussed as my Laptop is 12 months old now so i expect to get another 12-18months out of it then look at buying a new one and if vista has gone and windows 7 is the thing to have then so be it. :mrgreen:
and couldn't see the article on the pc world link.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » October 14, 2008, 9:32 pm

I was talking to a guy at PC World back in May, and he said Vista was going to be replaced in the Autumn. Though I haven't/hadn't heard that from any other source until this topic popped up.

At that time (back in May) I bought a laptop in the UK (from Tesco!) which had Vista Home pre-installed. I must admit, I didn't like it for a long time, mainly because there were many significant differences to Windows XP, which I have on my desktop. I also had many problems installing Vista's Service Pack 1, to the extent that I had to re-install and set up the laptop. It was a genuine copy!!

All that said, I have got used to Vista now, and cope with both Vista on my laptop and XP on my desktop on a daily basis.

I've also recently downloaded and installed XP Service Pack 3, but don't see any visible differences since doing so.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » October 14, 2008, 9:43 pm

Just read a bit more..
October 13, 2008 (Computerworld) Microsoft Corp. announced today that the code name for its next operating system, Windows 7, will be the product's official name.

Mike Nash, vice president of Windows product management, said the company was sticking with the label for simplicity's sake. "Simply put, this is the seventh release of Windows, so therefore 'Windows 7' just makes sense," Nash wrote in Microsoft's Vista blog on Monday.

After noting that Microsoft has at times stuck a date on the operating system -- Windows 2000 was the latest example -- Nash said that didn't make sense this time. "We do not ship new versions of Windows every year," he said. "Likewise, coming up with an all-new 'aspirational' name [such as 'Windows XP'] does not do justice to what we are trying to achieve, which is to stay firmly rooted in our aspirations for Windows Vista, while evolving and refining the substantial investments in platform technology in Vista into the next generation of Windows."

Some Windows watchers, however, questioned Nash's claim that Windows 7 would be the seventh iteration of the operating system. The AeroXperience blog counted seven as of Windows Vista, and eight if the consumer-oriented Windows Millennium was included. However, only if kernel revisions are tallied, XP wasn't counted -- and Windows kernel was incremented to 7.0 for Windows 7 -- would that reckoning work, the blog argued.

According to the Windows timeline on Wikipedia, XP's kernel is tagged as 5.1, and Vista's as 6.0.

Microsoft's own version of its client operating system timeline ends with Windows XP, but it assumes nine editions as of Vista: Windows 3.0, NT, 95, NT Workstation, 98, Millennium, 2000, XP and Vista. By that timeline, Microsoft doesn't regard Windows 1.0, which it released in 1985, or Windows 2.0, launched in 1987, as "true" Windows.

More than two weeks ago, Microsoft had said it would issue an alpha version of Windows 7 to attendees of its Professional Developers Conference (PDC) and Windows Hardware Engineering Conference (WinHEC), which open Oct. 27 and Nov. 5, respectively. Today, Nash called that preview a "prebeta developer-only release."

It's unusual for Microsoft to use an operating system code name as the official product moniker, and Nash acknowledged that fact. "I am pretty sure that this is a first for Windows," he said.

Operating system code names at Microsoft have ranged from "Chicago," which was the name for what became Windows 95, and "Memphis" (Windows 98), to "Whistler" (Windows XP) and "Longhorn" (Windows Vista).

Microsoft has not pinned a ship date to Windows 7, but it has said it was shooting for three years after the release of Vista, which would mean it would be released late in 2009 or early in 2010.

Perhaps not coincidentally, Windows blogger Ed Bott wondered just last week whether Microsoft would keep the "7" tag for its next operating system. Nearly half his readers who responded to an online poll gave the nod to "None of the above," but 20% voted for "Windows 2010," 14% for Windows 2009 and 7% for "Windows Vista R2."

"Windows 7" received 15% of the votes in the poll. :sleepy:
Should be timed just right for me then if i choose to get a new pc.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » October 14, 2008, 9:56 pm

Thanks for finding that additional information Beer Monkey. It is true then, but sounds like it will be coming out properly in about a year's time.

Well, I shan't be rushing to change over. I'll wait to see what everyone says about it, and it's been thoroughly evaluated and any bugs ironed out etc.

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » October 14, 2008, 10:46 pm

I am always suspicious of products with a number. Kleeneze oven cleaner 5 etc... It suggests the last 6 manifestations of Windows are a load of bollox and they have it right now. But how do we know 7 is ok? Will we wait for Windows 8, 9 or 10 just to be sure to be sure to be sure?

virginprune
udonmap.com

Post by virginprune » October 15, 2008, 12:12 am

Hi everyone

I will be coming to udon in 3 weeks for a 3 month stay, I will be buying a laptop while here, can anybody recommend the best place to purchase, please? I have XP on my home PC but I imagine I will have to buy one with Vista unless XP laptops are still available...did not find any on my last visit in april!
Thanking anyone in anticipation :D

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » October 15, 2008, 2:20 am

Don't worry about MS (Microsoft) dumping Vista.They are just dressing up and re-releasing Vista under the name of Win 7.

I understand the reason MS would want us to upgrade to a new OS - the upgrade treadmill pumps $billions into the company. But I don't see the upside for the user. Its more like we are being herded, unwillingly, into an "upgrade" and all the headaches that go with it.

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » October 15, 2008, 10:28 am

I have a mac with 10.5 OS. witch allows me to run XP home edition natively. Best of both worlds, however I have noticed when using the windows world I have to jump through more hoops.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 16, 2008, 1:10 am

I guess Vista is going to be remembered in the same way as that other clusterf*ck. WindowsMe and this new '7' will be to Vista what XP was to Me.

My new laptop has Vista Business and the first 2 weeks at home was getting used to the changes from XP. I didn't like it, particularly setting up network connectivity. I learned a lot about what has to be done for Vista machines to live happily on MS Server200x host networks. I then went to work with it (remote marine sites, internet access via proxies on client servers in foreign countries via Vsat) and the first experience was pretty grim. However, the next client setup was almost as slick as getting online with Linux so my faith is somewhat restored but that's only 2 field locations so early days yet.

I understand that pretty much most PC's and laptops being sold with Vista RIGHT NOW in the US & UK have the option to 'roll-back' to XP SP3. Mine was bought about 6 months ago before the computer manufacturers cajoled Microsoft to quit kidding joe public about how accepted Vista had become. The ugly truth was new hardware sales had tanked apart from the shrinking market where machines with XP installed could still be found. People would rather seek out an older machine with XP than a new machine with Vista.

My take is anything with a 'Home' label is dogsh!t because Microsoft doesn't really understand that a whole lot of average users need more bells & whistles than Microsoft thinks. Windows XP Home was lamentable so if you do need to get Vista, do NOT waste money on any 'Home' edition.

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » October 16, 2008, 3:00 pm

tamada "My take is anything with a 'Home' label is dogsh!t"

Interesting, while researching which version of Windoz to install, I found all the XP offerings were based on the home version. So the old adage "when you mix a teaspoon of ---- with a gallon of ice cream you end with a gallon + of ----" still holds;o)

xcession

Post by xcession » October 18, 2008, 5:29 am

Vista is just like WinME... when WinME is came out we're still using Win98 until XP...

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » October 18, 2008, 8:54 am

tamada wrote:I guess Vista is going to be remembered in the same way as that other clusterf*ck. WindowsMe and this new '7' will be to Vista what XP was to Me.

My new laptop has Vista Business and the first 2 weeks at home was getting used to the changes from XP. I didn't like it, particularly setting up network connectivity. I learned a lot about what has to be done for Vista machines to live happily on MS Server200x host networks. I then went to work with it (remote marine sites, internet access via proxies on client servers in foreign countries via Vsat) and the first experience was pretty grim. However, the next client setup was almost as slick as getting online with Linux so my faith is somewhat restored but that's only 2 field locations so early days yet.

I understand that pretty much most PC's and laptops being sold with Vista RIGHT NOW in the US & UK have the option to 'roll-back' to XP SP3. Mine was bought about 6 months ago before the computer manufacturers cajoled Microsoft to quit kidding joe public about how accepted Vista had become. The ugly truth was new hardware sales had tanked apart from the shrinking market where machines with XP installed could still be found. People would rather seek out an older machine with XP than a new machine with Vista.

My take is anything with a 'Home' label is dogsh!t because Microsoft doesn't really understand that a whole lot of average users need more bells & whistles than Microsoft thinks. Windows XP Home was lamentable so if you do need to get Vista, do NOT waste money on any 'Home' edition.
Tam the only difference between XP home & pro were security issues I have both and both are legal copies
other than that I saw no difference so your analysis of home being dogshit is off the chart

rufus
udonmap.com

Post by rufus » October 19, 2008, 1:55 pm

Gentlemen,
Vista is NOT being binned.
Vista is being renamed as Windows 7
Vista IS a version of Windows.
Vista is superior to XP IF you have the hardware to run it.

Please, get your facts straight.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » October 19, 2008, 2:24 pm

Rufus, you forgot to say:-

some people prefer XP to Vista
Vista had lots of bugs
Vista's SP1 caused many people problems
Personal choice and preferences have a part to play

These too are facts. :D

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 19, 2008, 2:47 pm

Vista is NOT being binned.
Vista is being renamed as Windows 7
Vista IS a version of Windows.
Vista is superior to XP IF you have the hardware to run it.

Ok just had update news from guess where.Windows.
Well they had heard that Vista was BAD, so they decided to visit their programmers and guess what now a new windows all tweaked up and sorted after listening to thousands of users, is going to be called Windows 7.
now they do not admit Vista was C***, but judging by the swift SP 3 update for XP I think they know Vista was C***.
it has absolutly nothing to do with hardware or ram, or even processor speed, it was in fact a complete load of junk.
Vista was what Microsoft decided to call it, same idiots thought that up as ME, Millenium, 2000 to name a few, now those of us that are switched on know that every other windows or even every third window brought out will be the bees knees, we just have to wait.
So there you are, available next year, but thgr rider to my info is that an original is far better than a copy and I do believe that Microsoft are putting something into the programme so that copying it may m,ake it crash upon use. so be warned.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”