Vista

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
aznyron
udonmap.com

Re: Vista

Post by aznyron » October 19, 2008, 7:05 pm

well it is my knowledge that Microsoft uses a lot of beta testers for there software so if it turn out to be another ME piece of crap then maybe B G better start looking for the right people to test a O/S
the truth is if it works don't fix it but like many of us myself included we want the latest crap out there if we can afford it. speaking for my self I could not wait for XP and the same go for vista the day it hits the shelf i am in the store buying it with vista I had my sister get it for me in the USA because I did not see it here another mistake I made I could have bought OEM copy instead of upgrade but here I am using XP sp/3
so all that rush was wasted because it is not perfected yet maybe another year Vista will be good but like they said they are scrapping it for windows 7 so the scuttlebutt said so I bought Imac I love it but it is also frustrating since I am not familiar with it every thing works different than windows even the keyboard
has different commands

rufus
udonmap.com

Post by rufus » October 20, 2008, 1:11 pm

"Ok just had update news from guess where.Windows."

Paul, sorry but your post makes no sense whatsoever. How can you have news from Windows? Windows is not a company. It is a GUI based operating system. Had you said "Microsoft", your post would have been more sensible, as Microsoft IS a company.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » October 20, 2008, 1:36 pm

Well I guess I gave Vista Ultimate SP1 a fare run over a 3 month period where I trialed it in a dual boot configuration. Nothing but heartache and grief from drivers to applications to trying to get the LAN up and running. Continuous BSODs (at the time my hardware was less than a year old and good quality, near on 50K Baht worth), and in the end it started telling my that I had many unrecoverable bad sectors in the HDD partition.

Anyway I dumped it - good old Xp Prof SP2 reigns. Never did find these so called bad sectors after removing Vista and using the partition for other things [-o<

PS. As Xp SP2 has been fully updated I have no intention of looking at SP3, been reading some reports on it as well.

I guess at the end of the day it's up to the individual and personal choice.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Ba Bob
udonmap.com

Post by Ba Bob » October 20, 2008, 1:48 pm

You buy a new computer then most of the devices only have Vista drivers so there is no going back. As for 1 version being better than another well i don't think Microsoft have ever bought out a version that doesn't have numerous bugs as they cannot test it on the millions of configurations that are the PCs we know!!Apples on the other hand well thats another post!

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 20, 2008, 1:50 pm

I downloaded SP3 yesterday.
Bit of a bitch to actually install on my low level LT. Installation failed once & I had to unplug & de-battery the LT. Eventually got it to install about 3am this morning, so a little early to say if good or bad. So far no appreciable user difference to SP2 - although that used to "lock up" the LT from time to time.

rufus
udonmap.com

Post by rufus » October 20, 2008, 2:00 pm

SP3 actually plugs few security leaks in XP among a few other things. It is a worthwhile install. I couldn't be bothered downloading it so got a copy at my local PC shop.

"Apples on the other hand well thats another post!"
If you are suggesting that the Apple OSs don't have problems on first release, you are very wrong. Leopard was horrible until large parts of it were rewritten.

By the way, don't expect Windows 7 until 2010.

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » October 20, 2008, 2:02 pm

BobHelm wrote:I downloaded SP3 yesterday.
Bit of a bitch to actually install on my low level LT. Installation failed once & I had to unplug & de-battery the LT. Eventually got it to install about 3am this morning, so a little early to say if good or bad. So far no appreciable user difference to SP2 - although that used to "lock up" the LT from time to time.
I tried to download it last week and it failed to download twice. (Don't know why!) It's a big download (300+ MB). After reading Bob's post I think I wont bother. Doesn't seem worth the effort!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 20, 2008, 2:06 pm

Alan have you been doing your updates under the Windows Auto Update function?

If so, SP3 is not necessary. It really just consolidates the previous updates since SP2, and throws in a few other unnecessary bits and pieces.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 20, 2008, 2:16 pm

Alan, the issue with the install is that (correctly in my view) it saves your current configuration, including the registry settings, and creates a "restart point" before it actually installs any of the new files. When it has correctly installed all the new stuff then it goes an deletes all the backup files.
This, obviously - the backup & delete - takes a fair old while, the actual installation of the new files doesn't take that long. My installation failed (although it didn't actually tell me it had failed :( ) somewhere during this backup phase. That being the case I knew I was pretty safe just turning the pc off. I guess the second install took about 2 hours & went smoothly.

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » October 20, 2008, 10:18 pm

What Follows Vista?

Edited by Peggy Watt

Microsoft Talks About Windows 7

We got lots of hints this week about Vista's successor--the rather blandly named Windows 7. Also check out the news about the ongoing "Vista Capable" legal challenge, an add-on to enhance Windows storage, and the latest ad strategy against Apple.

Ballmer: Windows 7 Is Vista, Just 'a Lot Better'
Windows 7 will be like Windows Vista, but more so, Microsoft Corp. CEO Steve Ballmer said today as he defended the first two years of Vista.
Learn the details.

Next Windows? Just Windows 7, Microsoft Says
Microsoft says it's sticking with Windows 7 as the official name for its next operating system.
Get the news.

Update: Here's Why It's Windows 7
Still scratching your head about how Microsoft got from Windows 3.x to Windows 7 (the next release)?
Read our analysis.

Microsoft Defends 'Windows 7' Moniker
Exec explains how he got to seven, reveals Windows 7's real number is 6.1.
Get the scoop.

MS: Lawyers Trying to Hijack Windows Update
Judge asked to block use of update service for notifying potential class-action plaintiffs.
Read the update.

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » October 20, 2008, 10:19 pm

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » October 21, 2008, 11:56 am

(Edit) I moved it to XP thread... :roll:
Last edited by Irish Alan on October 21, 2008, 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xcession

Post by xcession » October 21, 2008, 12:26 pm

Downgrade to XP or switch to Linux (like Ubuntu) at least for me...
or wait until Windows 7 out...

All my PC are using Arch Linux right now :P
for graphic/photoshop things I use my Mac...

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » October 21, 2008, 4:18 pm

Can anyone tell me what is so bad about Vista..?
Thanks
Can You Dig It Dug.?

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » October 21, 2008, 6:14 pm

Can anyone tell me what is so bad about Vista

no problems here, i rather like it over the other versions. only XP was any good, the rest were crap, or simply working all the bugs out till perfecting XP. I only use it for media storage/playing and internet. i understand if your work involves using computers, vista is only and sometimes not, only windows friendly, as xp windows version of MS money won't load on vista. so if using for work and need your established programs, you would be screwed.

but i am quite happy with it............best version for my needs so far. with one exception, has accepted every window or non window program i loaded and not once have i had to need any ms/window's tech assistance as anything that pops up, i can solve myself. in past versions i used to call tech support and knew more than them, after the first 5 suggestions and hearing the pages turning, did that, did that, did that, how long you worked here. finally realized always call after hours and west coast techies, had long conversation one time, experienced guys work out of their houses and off east coast hours. but that was years ago, sorry to bore you.

if looking for media storage and internet, your basic stuff, works fine for me 8) 8)

hxjohn
udonmap.com

Post by hxjohn » October 21, 2008, 6:22 pm

the trouble with vista is the poor software users load on to there machines vista for me is the dogs bollocks :oops: i use my pc to multi task and really enjoy vista in fact this week hopefully i will purchase another pc with vista loaded
time stands still for no man man ;)

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » October 22, 2008, 10:00 am

hxjohn wrote:the trouble with vista is the poor software users load on to there machines vista for me is the dogs bollocks :oops: i use my pc to multi task and really enjoy vista in fact this week hopefully i will purchase another pc with vista loaded
time stands still for no man man ;)
HX I had vista installed and yes it nice but also troublesome
and it has nothing to do with my software installed in fact I did not even have to in stall the C/D disk on my printer
Vista installed it for me. so how can you make a statement as broad as that. Now if I change my settings in msconfig
like shutting down some start up programs which are not needed I lose my ISP connection and have to go in to administrative & then services and change all those back from disable to automatic and trust me it takes about 1/2 to complete the job so yes it is a problem that why I went back to XP do not have that problem in there. here try this on for size change it to diagnostic start up and see what happens if you lose your ISP connection PM me I will show you
how to get back on correction call me because you will not have a connection on your PC

rufus
udonmap.com

Post by rufus » October 22, 2008, 8:23 pm

There is nothing wrng with Vista. It is a decent operating system and is better than XP, IF you have the resources. The complainants have become compacent in the ways of an older operating system and dislike change. This happens as one grows older. :razz:

rufus
udonmap.com

Post by rufus » October 22, 2008, 8:30 pm

"like shutting down some start up programs which are not needed "

So Ron, clearly THEY ARE needed. What are their names? Do you know what they do? Why are you shutting them down? A little knowledge is a dangerous thing!

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » October 22, 2008, 8:47 pm

rufus I don't want msn or yahoo or any program I downloaded from the internet to start up when I turn on my PC I know certain programs must start up when you start the pc but not every thing that why I used diagnostic start up it only loads the programs needed to start with XP it works just fine in XP. With vista it shuts off every thing I need to access the internet how stupid could they be who wrote the programs.
rufus I know enough about computers to keep my self out of trouble before I came to Thailand
I took the A+ class in Mohave Community College two semester which completed the class I got a B because I missed two classes so I have a good understanding on how to fix & use my computer now on another hand if you could help me with my apple Imac leopard O/S now there I am complete idiot

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”