Voip phones.

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
Ter
udonmap.com

Voip phones.

Post by Ter » October 29, 2008, 3:46 pm

I am thinking about bringing a voip phone when i come in December so i can stay in touch for free. Anyone using one at the moment ? Or tried ?
Not a big investment, though has the potential for big savings on phone bills. Any input from members having tried this or anything similar welcome.

Ter

lepidoptra
udonmap.com

Re: Voip phones.

Post by lepidoptra » October 29, 2008, 4:33 pm

Hi
No idea what phone you are talking about,never heard of it
Please enlighten me?

Ter
udonmap.com

Post by Ter » October 29, 2008, 4:38 pm

Sorry, voice over internet phone. completely free not to be confused with skype.

Ter :D

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 29, 2008, 4:38 pm

An IP phone uses Voice over IP technologies allowing telephone calls to be made over an IP network such as the internet instead of the ordinary PSTN system. Calls can traverse the Internet, or a private IP Network such as a that of a company. The phones use protocols such as Session Initiation Protocol, Skinny Client Control Protocol or one of various proprietary protocols such as that used by Skype. IP phones can be simple software-based Softphones or purpose-built hardware devices that appear much like an ordinary telephone or a cordless phone. There also exist the possibility to reuse ordinary PSTN phones as IP phones, with analog telephony adapters (ATA). One of the primary motivations for implementing such a system is the lower calling cost. When calling other IP phones over the internet one only pays for the usually fixed cost internet bandwidth.

It may have many features an analog phone doesn't support, such as e-mail-like IDs for contacts that may be easier to remember than names or phone numbers.
Have never tried in Thailand, Ter, sorry..

Lionheart
udonmap.com

Post by Lionheart » October 29, 2008, 5:20 pm

I brought one back from England two years ago and it works fine on my computer here in Udon, even has a hands free set so I can walk around the garden talking to the UK for 1.2 pence a minute. Obviously you need to open an account with someone like skype, which is the call provider I use.

The reception is excellent.

The VOiP comes with a CD containing the software and driver and all necessary chargers etc.

Not sure if hands free sets are available in Thailand.

Ter
udonmap.com

Post by Ter » October 29, 2008, 5:59 pm

Thanks Lionhart, I will be bringing a static snom phone, we currently use in the uk. I am told if i connect it to my router there and config it to my router id/ip in the uk then plug my end in, i can talk for free.
Glad to know your phone works that end much appreciated.

Ter :D :D

Lionheart
udonmap.com

Post by Lionheart » October 29, 2008, 7:41 pm

I think that the only free calls are if you call from computer to computer, but if you want to call a UK land line number it will cost you. As I said in my post, I use skype and they have a list of call charges for different countries and it is the country you call that determines the cost. You have to set up an account of say £5 or £10 and away you go.....enjoy

e.g. it costs 1.2p per minute for UK, USA, Eupope, and I think Austrailia. However computer to computer calls to others with skype are free.

Don't forget a VOiP phone is only a tool, you need a call provider for the wherewithall to make calls.

Also make sure that the phone you buy can be used on the provider that you choose.

Hope this helps

hxjohn
udonmap.com

Post by hxjohn » October 30, 2008, 2:55 am

in home i use www.voipdiscount.com
and out and about www.rebtel.com on my mobile
skype i was useing it way back still do for face to face calls and i.m but it can cost a lot in the long run for both ends if you call a lot

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » October 30, 2008, 3:00 am

I am not sure how this works for the UK, however while in Thailand I used Yahoo. As my credit card was US based, and the account was US I only paid 1 cent per minute. While in the US wife calls Thailand weekly and the cost is very reasonable. She calls two or three times a week and guess in the last year I spent less than $100. Cheap in my book beings she call mom and two sisters.

jingjai999

Post by jingjai999 » October 30, 2008, 7:53 am

What you need if you are American is Magicjack. Go to the website www.magicjack.com for details. You can make free calls to the US ONLY for one year at an annual rate of 20 bucks. You cannot have this device shipped to you if you live outside the US. I use it and it is great.

This device gives you a US telephone number and people can call you in Thailand from the USA and for them it is a domestic call. This device is VOIP and you need a broadband internet connection.

You may find more details and reviews if you look in the Database section of the Bangkok Post. Go to their website and look in the archives. I believe the Database section is archived.

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » October 30, 2008, 9:47 am

I've been using a VOIP/PSTN handsfree phone for the last three years on Skype, MSN and Yahoo (diferent friends and family have different accounts) and the same phone for our Thai landline. All works perfectly, free PC to PC calls have very good sound quality even when walking in the garden. Not sure about the progamming into the router but would be interested to lean more..

Ter
udonmap.com

Post by Ter » October 30, 2008, 2:10 pm

We have them at work and they are free, thats what prompted me to ask if anyone was using in udon. I have a snom voip phone although it is static when you plug your ethernet lead from it into your router it sets itself up automatically via you ip add. So my thinking is, if i bring one to home plug it into my router i should be able to dial my office for free.
I have one at my dads my sisters ect ect and they all work crystal clear.
Anyway i will try this december and see how i get on.
Ter :| :|

xcession

Post by xcession » October 31, 2008, 7:28 pm

Isn't Windows Mobile Phones has Skype?
So you can use your phone when there's no wifi nearby... 8-[

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » November 4, 2008, 7:09 am

Ter wrote:We have them at work and they are free, thats what prompted me to ask if anyone was using in udon. I have a snom voip phone although it is static when you plug your ethernet lead from it into your router it sets itself up automatically via you ip add. So my thinking is, if i bring one to home plug it into my router i should be able to dial my office for free.
I have one at my dads my sisters ect ect and they all work crystal clear.
Anyway i will try this december and see how i get on.
Ter :| :|
Does the phone have a LAN cable to connect to the router or is there a USB / LAN converter? All the VOIP phones I've seen have been USB connecetion

Ter
udonmap.com

Post by Ter » November 4, 2008, 2:21 pm

No, all my ones have a ethernet/lan/ rj45, connection. and a power lead. If you imagine its just like connecting a pc or laptop. Our one configure themselves and away you go. The ones we use are made by snom and the model no is 300.
Hope this helps, other posters have mobile types which i am not au fai with and i think you have to pay for the use on those.
I talk with friends in the uk for free over the net with this device if they have a voip phone, so my thinking is if i bring one to los i can talk to the wife for free.

Ter :D

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”