Thailand news, views and comments
mortiboy
udonmap.com

Re: 100,000 stranded farangs

Post by mortiboy » December 1, 2008, 6:51 pm

Is this any help to any one?
Breaking News: Thaivisa offers ticketing assistance for stranded travelers
Thaivisa Expat Repatriation Assistance

We have the flights in and out of Thailand.

BANGKOK: -- Thaivisa.com from today are able to assist its members to fly in or out of Thailand through our association with the major Airlines Networks. We strongly believe it will be 7 days before Thailand's main Airports re-open.

From today we are in a position to assist stranded members and their families with their urgent travel requirements.

We are able to assist with re-routing or issue of a new tickets to get you to your destination.

Get Assistance now:
http://www.thaivisa.com/latest/thaivisa ... tance.html

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » December 1, 2008, 7:04 pm

Not that I have any vested interest in KL, if I was trying to get to Thailand from Europe or elsewhere, I think I would initially try and get to KL, Singapore or Hong Kong, and then make my way to Vientiane or possibly Chiang Mai from there!

Bangsean_girl
udonmap.com

Post by Bangsean_girl » December 1, 2008, 7:09 pm

I have both good and bad news! The good news is Apprently, the PAD mob is giving up in the goverment city hall, BUT the bad news is they move all their people to both Airports!!! I watched the news tonight I heard something that they might celebrate their new year at the airport! They won't give up until the goverment are truely taken out esp the goverment from taxinomic. Well I wish they realised as long as Thai people don't die then the goverment they love and vote for will never die as well! As a result; PAd should be out of airports for the country sake!

Ter
udonmap.com

Post by Ter » December 1, 2008, 7:16 pm

Arjay it is a good idea but everyone has had it, unfortunately, so everywhere is full or profiteering persons are now the order of the day.

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Post by AussieBoy » December 1, 2008, 7:17 pm

Restarting Bangkok's $4 billion Suvarnabhumi airport will take at least a week from the end of the current sit-in by protesters because of security and IT system checks, its general manager said on Monday.

Anti-government protesters have ignored a police order to end their blockade of Bangkok's main airport, which entered its seventh day Monday.

"Normally, checking the IT systems takes one week. We have to check, recheck, check, recheck," Serirat Prasutanond told Reuters, adding that the delay would probably be even longer as some of complex's massive computers might need repair.

"I think some systems are damaged," he said, but declined to give further details.
Even if the dissolution, expected on Tuesday or Wednesday, is enough to convince the PAD to pack its bags, Serirat's timeline suggests the airport will be closed until at least December 11, eating into the key Christmas tourist season

http://bangkokpundit.blogspot.com/2008/ ... rport.html

Bangsean_girl
udonmap.com

Post by Bangsean_girl » December 1, 2008, 7:22 pm

I'm concern I can't go to udon to celebrate new year with my family! What a sad day! however i m sure my concern is nothing compare to other people who have been alot more effected by this disaster! :evil:

ISSAN_NISSAN
udonmap.com
Location: Near the big tree past the light on the left opposite the 7-11

Post by ISSAN_NISSAN » December 1, 2008, 7:42 pm

Why not drive up?

It's only about a 9 hour drive from Bangsean.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » December 1, 2008, 7:47 pm

Don't be sad because of pad, Bus it... by road....simple and cheap.

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » December 1, 2008, 8:43 pm

Eva Air travellers check out their website for the latest info. As from today, you check in at the Bangkok International Trade and Exhibition Centre (BITEC) at the Bang Na junction, BKK, six hours before take off and then take a Govt. bus to Utapao. The BR 67 flight will now leave at 1025 hours instead of lunchtime and stop at Dubai before reaching London at 1910 hours. I urge those chaps travelling the other way to check their flights on the Eva website because it looks as though they're cancelling BKK bound trips. Apologies if someone has already posted this somewhere else.

Alternatively, the Bob Helm/Arjay option of Vientiane - Kuala Lumpur - London looked good when I checked it out this afternoon through Air Asia and Expedia. But as Arjay says, it looks as though you'll have to be quick to book up.

I'm going to post a debrief when I get Blighty side to highlight any issues that I may come across during travelling this weekend on Eva.

Good luck fellow travellers and keep smiling.

http://www.evaair.com/html/b2c/english/

BM for PM - the sensible choice.
Last edited by westerby on December 1, 2008, 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » December 1, 2008, 8:59 pm

Westers you must have a pal with a chopper that could air-lift you out..?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hong Kong man stranded in Thailand dies in traffic crash

Mon, Dec 01, 2008
AFP

HONG KONG, Dec 1, 2008 (AFP) - A Hong Kong man died in a traffic accident in Thailand as he was trying to find a way out of the country during anti-government protests, a government official said Monday.

The man was travelling with his wife and four others from Bangkok to Phuket where he was hoping to catch a flight back to Hong Kong, said Hong Kong's permanent secretary for security, Chang individual-yiu.

The man's wife was being treated at a hospital in Bangkok following the crash which took place late Sunday night, Chang said.

No other details about the crash were made available.

The couple were among an estimated 100,000 visitors stuck in the country as thousands of anti-government protesters occupied the Thai capital's two airports and other key sites in a bid to topple Somchai Wongsawat's government.

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » December 1, 2008, 9:11 pm

beer monkey wrote:Westers you must have a pal with a chopper that could air-lift you out..?

No, I managed to upset all of them before I left the Mob last year.

I must stop laughing at people.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » December 1, 2008, 10:46 pm

(Might of been posted already)
todays a bit late but tommorrow could be of use.
Bangkok Airways provides flights to Singapore, Hong Kong

Bangkok Airways, a budget airline operator, will today (December 1) and Tuesday conduct special trips from Thailand to Singapore and Hong Kong to assist evacuating stranded foreign travelers.

Two flights will leave on December 1 and December 2 from Hua Hin to Samui airports where passengers will then be able to make connecting flights to Singapore and Hong Kong. The two flights will leave daily from Hua Hin at 2 PM and 5 PM with flights to Singapore leaving at 4:35 PM and 8:30 PM. Flights to Hong Kong will leave at 11:35 AM and 10 PM.

The flights will also allow travelers arriving from Singapore and Hong Kong to land in Samui and connecting to Hua Hin. Bangkok Airways has prepared transporting vehicles to assist stranded travelers leaving from its main office on Vipavadee road, Bangkok, four hours ahead of each scheduled flight. The airline is also providing vehicles to U-Tapao international airport to facilitate with flights from the airport to Siem Reap, Cambodia, Maldives, Samui and Phuket. More information can be found at its hotline 1771, phone number 0-2265-8777 and by visiting www.bangkokair.com.

hxjohn
udonmap.com

Post by hxjohn » December 2, 2008, 12:00 am

240.000 our 100.000 why dont we split it halfway :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ter
udonmap.com

Post by Ter » December 2, 2008, 1:13 am

On my way to frankfurt to get a flight to patts arrive on the third, get a phone call from thai air to say if i want they can get me on a flight to the same destination on they same date. I DONT BELIEVE IT. looks like i will try and get a palm after all mark, if westers left any. :D :D

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » December 2, 2008, 9:34 am

Insurance issues now becoming a concern

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,2 ... 90,00.html

The cheaper your policy the more exclusions.........

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » December 2, 2008, 2:02 pm

Lawks, looks like Eva Air have cancelled my trip back home. How will the European Aerospace industry survive without me?

I may as well start building my Udon dream home now, should get it done in three months.
:lol:

BM for PM.

Kaiheitai
udonmap.com

Post by Kaiheitai » December 2, 2008, 2:30 pm

westerby wrote:Lawks, looks like Eva Air have cancelled my trip back home. How will the European Aerospace industry survive without me?

I may as well start building my Udon dream home now, should get it done in three months.
:lol:

BM for PM.
Might as well make lemonade outta lemons.... or some such saying

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » December 2, 2008, 4:19 pm

(The Times)
Fatal car crash injures Briton trying to flee Thailand

A British woman stranded by the closure of Bangkok's airports has been seriously injured trying to catch a flight out of southern Thailand, police have confirmed.

Two Canadian tourists travelling with her were killed yesterday as their van overturned on the way to Phuket airport early yesterday.

"The van overturned and plunged into the roadside after it tried to avoid crashing with a car in front, which suddenly slammed on the brakes," Captain Charkrit Nima of the local police force told AFP.

He said six tourists were in the van, rushing to get a Cathay Pacific flight from Phuket, one of the regional airports which has laid on extra flights because of the week long airport siege which has trapped around 350,000 tourists in Thailand.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » December 2, 2008, 7:29 pm

Hospitals to service stranded tourists without charge

Hospitals nationwide will be asked to service stranded foreign tourists without charge, according to the ministry of public health.

Public Health Ministry permanent secretary Prat Boonyawongvirot said the minister of public health ordered him to officially notity all provincial governors to provide healthcare for foreigners stranded by the closure of the two Bangkok airports. This would be achieved by having both public and private hospitals providing care for the stranded tourists while the ministry of public health handles all expenses, according to Dr Prat.

During November 29 and December 1, 243 foreign-bound passengers received service from the mobile medical unit at Utapao airport. More than half experienced either headache, vomiting, or blackout. Cold and muscle soreness were also common.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » December 5, 2008, 8:28 pm

Stranded elderly passenger dies in Thailand

* December 5, 2008 - 4:51PM

A 71-year-old Australian man has reportedly died while waiting for an emergency flight out of Thailand after an eight-day siege of Bangkok's two airports.

The passenger was believed to have suffered a heart attack while waiting to board a special Qantas flight from Phuket, according to online Thai newspaper Phuketwhan.

He was taken to hospital but died about 4am Australian time.

The man was suffering a chronic illness and had endured a 12-hour bus ride from Bangkok, it was reported.

The Qantas flight, QS6031 departed about 6.45am Australian time bound for Singapore where Australian passengers were due to catch connecting flights home.

Thailand's main international airport was officially reopened today after an anti-government protest left about 350,000 travellers, including hundreds of Australians, stranded.

Thousands of protesters from the People's Alliance for Democracy shut Suvarnabhumi and the smaller Don Mueang airports last week in a bid to force out the elected government.

On Tuesday the ruling party was dissolved by a court and the protesters ended their blockade that was a huge blow to the country's tourist industry.

Return to “Thailand News”