THE POTENTIAL PERILS OF MARRYING A FOREIGN HUSBAND

Udon Thani news, views and comments
lee
udonmap.com

THE POTENTIAL PERILS OF MARRYING A FOREIGN HUSBAND

Post by lee » December 7, 2008, 11:58 am

www.pattayadailynews.com wrote:THE POTENTIAL PERILS OF MARRYING A FOREIGN HUSBAND

Marrying a foreign husband is seen by many Thai females as being a passport away from dire poverty and into a life of luxury. This is particularly true of Isarn women, specifically in the more remote villages, where these aspirants see their peers with fabulous houses, built with the funds of their farang husbands and sporting the accoutrements of a lavish lifestyle, like cars, swimming pools, home theatres, washing machines and designer clothes, albeit copies!

However, for many Isarn women, these are often fond dreams, pure hype, nourished by rural legends; the reality is very different, the unfortunate women often being lured into prostitution and comparative sex slavery in their husbands' countries, where they were taken under false pretences.

According to Mrs.Prakaikaew Ratanaka, local mayor and Chairwoman of the Association of Community Development Women Leaders Udon Thani Province, there are 2 districts in Udon Thani where the whole village only has foreign husbands. A foreign husband's house was conspicuous by its beautiful architectural style, well-dressed people and expensive cars. Very few foreign husbands were prepared to live a traditional Thai lifestyle, pursuing farming, however.

The provinces with the majority of transnational marriage are Udon Thani and Kon Kaen, followed by Maha Sarakham, Chaiyaphum, Srisaket, Buriram, and Loei respectively. Searching for partners via the internet is one of the favourite means of finding foreign husbands. More than 20 Thai women in Pako sub-district, Kutchab district, Udon Thani, were charged around 60,000-100,000 baht by the brokerage agent for searching for foreign partners.

The National Operation Center on Prevention and Suppression of Human Trafficking, reporting on the human trafficking situation, stated that from 2002-2008, there had been 4,208 transnational marriages between Thai women and foreign men. Confirming the report, the Office of House Registration, the Ministry of Interior revealed that within a period of four years, almost twenty thousand Thai women and foreign men had registered for marriage licenses, with a considerable further number unregistered. As stated, some of them are victims of human trafficking gangs operated by Thais and nationals of the destination countries, including Germany, Switzerland, the Netherland, France, and Austria.

In Nongwuasor district, Udon Thani, for instance, there are 2,800 transnational marriages, but only 500 possess marriage licenses. The rest of them are unsure about their future and a considerable proportion were lured into human trafficking groups. Educationally, 45% of the Thai women graduated at primary level, 41% at secondary level, 11%, securing a normal and high vocational certificate and 2% a bachelor's degree. Because of high incidence of forced prostitution, the Public Media for People Participation for Human Security in Prevention and Remedy Human Trafficking 2008 Project, the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security (MSDHS) organized a mobile forum to attempt to solve the human trafficking problem, with the title of "Foreign Husband, the Way to Heaven or Hell" at Udon Thani.

Assoc.Prof.Dr.Supawatanakorn Wongthanawasu, an instructor in the College of Local Administration, Graduate School, Khonkaen University, related that the highest number of transnational marriages occur in Udon Thani and, at the same time, there is the also highest incidence of divorces. This could be seen as a result of community changes in lifestyle and core values. Their parents favour foreign husbands and recommend their children marry foreigners to have a better life. They only consider the positive side, disregarding the negative elements. In some cases, women had to live with 4-5 men before they found the right one.

"After marrying, the Thai women moved to their husbands' countries. Several Thai women in Germany, for instance, had to prostitute themselves to support their husbands or risk being harmed. Some of these had even had to pay a brokerage agent to find foreign partners. One woman paid forty thousand baht to the broker and tried to live with a foreign husband before marrying. The prospective husband, however, later decided to opt out of the deal and returned to his native country never to return. Consequently, the woman wasted her brokerage fee and her 'intended' had free sexual intercourse.

There are a great number of matching agencies available in the Water Gate area, run through the postal service as well as through the internet. The number of Thai applicants is sufficiently large to warrant a pro-active approach by the government who could issue warnings of the potential pitfalls inherent in transnational marriages.

Assoc.Prof.Dr.Krittika Saenpot, Rector Assistant of Rajabhat Udon Thani University stated that a survey of students' attitudes towards having foreign husbands had revealed that the majority of participants wanted to have a foreign husband, primarily because of the economic dimension, including cars and money. The attitude could lead to potential human trafficking and corruption as well as illegal matching by unscrupulous agents.

The study also found that some families which have foreign husbands would likely have household commodities imported from Europe, such as washing machines, mobile phones, or sanitary ware. Although the family members are only employed to harvest peas, they are materialistic and extravagant. Thai culture, language, and eating habits inevitably also have to give way to Western culture. Instead of eating Somtam for breakfast, for instance, many Thai wives eat sausages, eggs, and fast food.

The majority of foreigners are retired and many have health problems, so Thai wives are responsible for taking care of them, not always with favourable outcomes, however. There was a diabetic foreigner, for example, who also suffered from psychological problems, that was inclined to severely beat a child of the Thai wife's former marriage with a stick. Nevertheless, the Thai wife was forced to continue to look after him, despite his sadistic tendencies.

There are many Thai women who are lured illegally into foreign countries like Germany. Some of those women are sent to brothels and are unable to ask for help because they could not communicate in German. Because of this serious problem, the Thai Embassy and Thai temples in Germany are 24-hour on stand by to help the victims.

However, it is for the Thai government and NGOs to take pro-active measures, immediately, to pre-empt the traffickers and warn potential victims of the possible consequences of their avarice. Only by such concerted efforts will the dire trafficking problem be solved.

Warina
[email protected]
http://www.pattayadailynews.com/showfea ... 0000000998

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: THE POTENTIAL PERILS OF MARRYING A FOREIGN HUSBAND

Post by jackspratt » December 7, 2008, 7:51 pm

Ho hum!

Yawn :sleepy:

Techland
udonmap.com

Post by Techland » December 7, 2008, 8:04 pm

Yes it's getting long in the tooth.

> According to Mrs.Prakaikaew Ratanaka, local mayor and Chairwoman of the Association of Community Development Women Leaders Udon Thani Province, there are 2 districts in Udon Thani where the whole village only has foreign husbands.

And of course they don't tell where these exceptional districs are...

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » December 7, 2008, 9:01 pm

Where's the part about us really having tails and building torture chambers in the back yard? :lol:

LA, I wasn't referring to that braided tail that you've been creating. :lol:

medical-mustard
udonmap.com

Post by medical-mustard » December 7, 2008, 9:26 pm

:sleepy:

medical-mustard
udonmap.com

Post by medical-mustard » December 7, 2008, 9:29 pm

look everyone it is what i hate when i go to the bars roll up gentlemen it is "stereotype hour" :sleepy:

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » December 8, 2008, 12:19 am

"The study also found that some families which have foreign husbands would likely have household commodities imported from Europe, such as washing machines, mobile phones, or sanitary ware. Although the family members are only employed to harvest peas, they are materialistic and extravagant. Thai culture, language, and eating habits inevitably also have to give way to Western culture. Instead of eating Somtam for breakfast, for instance, many Thai wives eat sausages, eggs, and fast food."

Shock horror, those Mia Farangs are using western sanitary ware, and eating sausages, eggs, and fast food. :yikes:
Whatever next.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » December 8, 2008, 2:45 am

"In Nongwuasor district, Udon Thani, for instance, there are 2,800 transnational marriages, but only 500 possess marriage licenses". Which says to me, 500 registered at the ampoe office and the rest did not??? So, if that's so, how did the esteemed educator determine the other 2,300 folks that got "married".. Perhaps she made a concerted effort to attend all the wedding parties??? Sounds totally bogus and contrived to me..

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » December 8, 2008, 6:42 am

FrazeeDK wrote:"In Nongwuasor district, Udon Thani, for instance, there are 2,800 transnational marriages, but only 500 possess marriage licenses". Which says to me, 500 registered at the ampoe office and the rest did not??? So, if that's so, how did the esteemed educator determine the other 2,300 folks that got "married".. Perhaps she made a concerted effort to attend all the wedding parties??? Sounds totally bogus and contrived to me..
:lol: :lol: Good point!

fatbas***d
udonmap.com

Post by fatbas***d » December 8, 2008, 7:08 am

Makes for a good story, but thats all it is, no real research just relating the usual collection of substantiated anecdotes. Fodder for the Thai womens magazines where these "exposes" are paraded out regularly to make those stuck at home with 4 kids and a philandering husband feel good.

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » December 8, 2008, 11:35 am

just my opinion I think they are worried that we are educating the Thai lady like eating at the table with her husband and not waiting until he finished and then she get what left over & cold if it was hot food
and another they are learning to read & write English which scares them now they can watch BBC or Fox news and learn about our western countries not kept in the dark and used as slaves in a factory for 5k a month there whole list of things I just mentioned a couple but I can honestly say from my observation
all the Thai ladies married or single with expats taking care of them there life has improved tremendously
My wife has a house a pickup truck which I bought her new a motor bike which I bought her new on and the house is new I just finished it but we are so rotten we use the Thai for sex just another note how many of you expats are supporting your wife or G/F children from some Thai boy who ran away after the baby was born good example of how we are mistreating the Thai lady just another B/S story to scare unsuspecting Thai girl I just want to ad my little niece she is about 7 she said I quote when she grows up she wants to marry a farlang that funny even the little children are not blind to there B/S

medical-mustard
udonmap.com

Post by medical-mustard » December 8, 2008, 1:20 pm

Ladies and entlemen boys and girls ,welcome to this weeks episode of sterio type hour. Where posters post their pigeonhole principle thinking that "ALL" thai woman are the same yes ladies and gentlemen pigeonhole principle thinking includes Nurses, Lawyers , Teachers etc are all the same and this weeks prize is the title of big farang loser 2008

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » December 8, 2008, 4:24 pm

One woman paid forty thousand baht to the broker and tried to live with a foreign husband before marrying. The prospective husband, however, later decided to opt out of the deal and returned to his native country never to return. Consequently, the woman wasted her brokerage fee and her 'intended' had free sexual intercourse.
Free sex for your prospective farang husband before marriage. I thought it was to be paid for until married. I'm sure the Thai guys are paying for it, and they NEVER change their minds after having sex with a prospective wife, that is until she's pregnant.

But then again, perhaps there is some justice in this part of the 'study'.

Some do good idiot probably got her Ph.D. with this drivel.

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » December 9, 2008, 3:01 am

Because she is pointing mostly at Udon where all the luring and slavery is taking place, maybe, she is trying to discourage people from coming to Udon and making a more wholesome, family orientated community like Pattaya their distination.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » December 9, 2008, 6:03 am

After reading this article several times,I come to the conclusion that this lady ,just doesn't approve of Thai ladies marrying Falangs!

She rambles back and forth about trafficing of Thai women by falangs taking them to Falangland to put them into prostitution in order to support the falang,to the older falang that is taking advantage of the Thai lady by using her to take care oif him as his health wanes!

After all that negative slamming of the slavetasking by falangs,I can only assume that her opening paragraph about the ''luxuries'' observed in the Thailand based relationships,are what lures these poor maidens into ''wanting'' a falang!

She probably blames the falang for upsetting the ''class''status quo!

This is typical Thai BS,accepting no reponsibility for their actions,everything they perceive as negative is blamed on someone else!

IMO,Falangs have always been the scapegoats for the ills of Thailand.Wouldn't surprise me to hear ,sometime,that the corruption amongst the elitists running the gov't is the fault of their falang educations!

I would guess that most of the girls have had great materialistic gains from the relationships,the very reason that they entered them,and a very very small percentage have ever been taken advantage of by the falang,just the opposite!

It could be a fact that at the end of the relationship ,the girls windup with very little!But,I would attribute that to their own lack of money management or focus on acquiring ''assets''like a house which quickly becomes trashed wo maintenance or desire to stay there after the relationship!Not to mention that during the relationship,they have a higher standard of living compared to their socalled poor existence prior to the relationship,materialistically!

:lol: I can just imagine a falang man meeting this woman!A big welcoming smile with a mind full of contempt and disrespect! :-$ :-$

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » December 9, 2008, 9:18 am

Undoubtedly the author of the article is the lady who paid 40,000 to the internet broker and ended up providing free sex to her prospective farang husband who jilted her after finding out she was a bad lay.

Over the years I've read a number of articles about farang men and Thai women that can laughingly be called investigative journalism. This is another.

At least the hidden agendas are often transparent.

Astana
udonmap.com

Post by Astana » December 13, 2008, 12:22 am

[quote="lee"][quote="www.pattayadailynews.com"]THE POTENTIAL PERILS OF MARRYING A FOREIGN HUSBAND

According to Mrs.Prakaikaew Ratanaka, local mayor and Chairwoman of the Association of Community Development Women Leaders Udon Thani Province, there are 2 districts in Udon Thani where the whole village only has foreign husbands. A foreign husband's house was conspicuous by its beautiful architectural style, well-dressed people and expensive cars. Very few foreign husbands were prepared to live a traditional Thai lifestyle, pursuing farming, however.

Quote shortened by poster

So this particular local mayor & chairperson of the 'Assoc of CDWLUTP' has worked out that being a Falang husband and not going into traditional farming is just not cricket...

I guess that she doesn't know that this is an occupation that is a 'protected occupation' and not open to these dastardly Falang, is she trying to make us break the law of the land. Tut tut.

All these 'Assistant Academics,' you know... the 2% per cent that don't get the man so-to-speak must be a bit envious of their less educationally developed sisters who live in a house that is "conspicuous by its beautiful architectural style, well-dressed people and expensive cars".

Just a thought on this pure bunkum! :fryingpan:

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » December 13, 2008, 5:55 am

Astana, it may be that you are incorrect about these women at the university (2%) envying their 'poorer' sisters who married wealthy foreigners.

In my experience at Chiang Mai university, all of the males and females working in education were from very rich families and they did not want for anything.

Some of them might be upset that the less-educated women marry a farang, but there is probably not much in the way of jealousy either.

The majority of these 'more educated' women were from Sino-Thai families and they married whom they wanted. The men they wanted were Sino-Thais.

They are people of power and influence and there are very few foreigners in Thailand who can provide that combination to their Thai/Lao/Muang/Chinese/Mon/Khmer wives.

The secretaries in the various departments might be different in their thinking about foreign male-Thai female relationships.

This is not to say that the lady conducting the research is correct; however, she should not be viewed as some lady fueled by jealousy, rage and envy because she missed out on an opportunity to marry a foreigner.

medical-mustard
udonmap.com

Post by medical-mustard » December 13, 2008, 7:55 am

"stereotype hour" ](*,)

Astana
udonmap.com

Post by Astana » December 13, 2008, 3:06 pm

medical-mustard wrote:"stereotype hour" ](*,)
I concur MM. :wave:

Return to “Udon Thani News”