Village in thailand prints own money

Thailand news, views and comments
hxjohn
udonmap.com

Village in thailand prints own money

Post by hxjohn » January 8, 2009, 10:59 pm

Decorating their money with children's sketches of water buffaloes and Buddhist temples, the villagers conceived it as a do-it-yourself attempt to protect themselves from the whiplash of vast outflows of speculative money which undermined local currencies and threw Thailand -- and much of Asia -- into recession in 1997-98.
=D> http://www.bahtsold.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3666

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: Village in thailand prints own money

Post by stattointhailand » January 8, 2009, 11:11 pm

As do several Towns in the UK

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » January 9, 2009, 5:47 am

Couldn't actually see the story from the above link as it didn't seem to be working...but found it out myself, a good read.

SANTI SUK, Thailand -- One way to beat the world's credit crisis: Start printing your own money.

The villagers of Santi Suk began creating their own cash here on the sun-bleached plains of northern Thailand following Asia's financial crisis a decade ago.

Decorating their money with children's sketches of water buffaloes and Buddhist temples, the villagers conceived it as a do-it-yourself attempt to protect themselves from the whiplash of vast outflows of speculative money which undermined local currencies and threw Thailand -- and much of Asia -- into recession in 1997-98.

Children's sketches of water buffaloes and Buddhist temples decorate Santi Suk's currency.

At the time, some villagers faced questioning before Thailand's central bank and were accused by local government officials of plotting a secessionist revolt.

Now, with Thailand's economy slowing sharply, the DIY cash is beginning to flow freely again.

"We need our own money more than ever now," says Phra Supajarawat, the wiry, orange-robed abbot of the local Buddhist monastery, who doubles as a "governor" of Santi Suk's tiny, one-room bank. "Things are turning bad in Thailand and people need something they can believe in," he says.

Homemade currencies, sometimes known as community or complementary currencies, have a habit of popping up during economic crises. Some towns in the U.S., Canada and Germany introduced their own scrip during the Great Depression. Similar schemes have emerged more recently in Japan, Argentina and Britain.

One of the more successful programs has been in Berkshire County, Mass. Residents there pay $10 to get 11 "BerkShares," which are widely accepted in local stores, encouraging people to shop at home instead of using dollars to buy goods online or at large retail chains. Launched in 2006, BerkShares are still being used.

The idea is that by using local currencies, residents don't spend so many dollars, Thai baht or euros, thus helping to keep more resources within their communities. And because local currencies can't be banked away to earn interest, users keep spending it, providing a boost to their area's economy..............................MORE >>

Read the full story on the link below...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1231283 ... .125541:b0

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » January 9, 2009, 5:54 am

Where is Santi Suk at beer

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » January 9, 2009, 6:09 am

Near the Cambodian Border around Sa kaew..... well East of chonburi/pattaya 4-ish hours ??...i think

Frankie 1
udonmap.com

Post by Frankie 1 » January 9, 2009, 8:01 am

In Amsterdam we have 3 alternative exchange systems like that, clubs that trade using their own kind of money system. I'm a member of one of those clubs.

Internationally they are called 'LETS' (Local Exchange Trading System), and there a re a lot of them all over the world.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_Exch ... ng_Systems
https://mail.nvnet.org/~cooper_j/money/resource.html
http://www.transaction.net/money/lets/

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » January 9, 2009, 8:55 am

It is a good way to maintain credits for trading within the community!

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » January 9, 2009, 4:57 pm

Uk has the 'Barter System' (Barter Card) but i think it is a world wide scheme....been asked a few times to join but decided not to.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » January 9, 2009, 5:43 pm

During a tax audit, I was asked by officer " are you involved in any barter schemes?"

I replied " No...??.How do they work?" ........ "Never mind !!" was the abrupt answer.

I think they must have sensed Ialready knew. :^o

hxjohn
udonmap.com

Post by hxjohn » January 10, 2009, 1:29 am

[-X
Last edited by hxjohn on January 10, 2009, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » January 10, 2009, 2:21 am

Whats your problem John...the link does NOT take you to the story .

This is what the above link takes you too'...nothing but a few lines.

and that is NOT a link to the news story.
If you want a pop at me..get it right.
And i just googled the story and it took me to the actual news page....why you didn't just copy/paste the story i don't know.

And don't see any glory to be had in posting a news story. :roll:

westerby
udonmap.com

Post by westerby » January 10, 2009, 2:39 am

beer monkey wrote:Whats your problem John...the link does NOT take you to the story .
Well sort of...it's like a link to a link to a link to a news story.

hxjohn
udonmap.com

Post by hxjohn » January 10, 2009, 3:14 am

westerby wrote:
beer monkey wrote:Whats your problem John...the link does NOT take you to the story .
Well sort of...it's like a link to a link to a link to a news story.

so the link to a link worked then :fryingpan: ](*,) [-o<
have fun i am :D

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » January 10, 2009, 4:18 am

Yeah great.Why didn't you just say that in the first place..a link to a link to a link...that eventually goes to another website...why go round the houses, just post the story direct from the news provider....unless you got another motive... :-k

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » January 10, 2009, 2:32 pm

As it takes you through the web site that John runs I imagine that your second thought is probably spot on BM... :( :(

hxjohn
udonmap.com

Post by hxjohn » January 10, 2009, 3:35 pm

my posted link which as since been changed buy beer money was to a website that post the most intresting storys photos and video.s from the internet :-k
the digg site as nothing to do with myself except i am a member :-$
remember when i posted the video from youtube showing the fire in bangkok not long after beer monkey
posted the same video link above my link from is last post :roll:
yes you are the no1 poster and i can see why you take over stories alter posts fiddlle the forum to play you own childish games [-X i post on other forums these days and have met some great guys
it seems udonmap is loseing more posters because of certain users deleteing links
the internet is free information dont try to control that our it will backfire on you in the long run ;)

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » January 10, 2009, 3:53 pm

You protest too much John.
In order to read the "story" you had to go from Digg's site to your web site (hence increasing your traffic) to get at the actual story.
I have replied to your mate, Martinb68, as to why the links were removed. However he is such an avid contributor to this site that he has not even managed to read my reply after 7 days.
Far from "controlling" free information it is not unreasonable for any reader to be expected to be taken to the "source" of information rather than to be taken on some strange route through the internet that can only be for 'nefarious' reasons.

hxjohn
udonmap.com

Post by hxjohn » January 10, 2009, 4:33 pm

BobHelm wrote:You protest too much John.
In order to read the "story" you had to go from Digg's site to your web site (hence increasing your traffic) to get at the actual story.
I have replied to your mate, Martinb68, as to why the links were removed. However he is such an avid contributor to this site that he has not even managed to read my reply after 7 days.
Far from "controlling" free information it is not unreasonable for any reader to be expected to be taken to the "source" of information rather than to be taken on some strange route through the internet that can only be for 'nefarious' reasons.
protest too much i dont think i do iam pretty laid back to be fair but ok i see your point about the direct link
but that is how digg run there site i did not post a link to my site as i never have each news souce of which there are hundreds get there stories from a few places that is free information thats why i try to remember to post a link as that gives credit to the source and gives the reader another point of view and more usefull stories also
as for increasing your traffic i seem to be doing ok put udon thani issan into google ;)
this martin68 new to me :? please explain what you mean

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » January 10, 2009, 5:16 pm

my posted link which as since been changed buy beer money
Not me hx...i got no access to your account/posts, you seem to have a bee in your bonnet...

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » January 10, 2009, 5:40 pm

Hxjohn wrote:remember when i posted the video from youtube showing the fire in bangkok not long after beer monkey
posted the same video link above my link from is last post
ok part 2...

Now let me explain something that you have over looked....... the video i posted was the first video (3miuntes 10 seconds in length) to hit 'you-tube' a few hours after the fire, i posted it at 7.18 am........that vid was a short version of the 'whole' video, now if you bothered to read any of the video/witnesses, comments under that video at the time you would of noticed that he had a longer lenght video and was'nt sure if he was going to post it, but he did post the full version(8 minutes 52 seconds in length) later in the day....which is what you posted later at 5.35pm....and seeing as i didn't 'edit' my post above yours how can i have added that video....?

if you are going to have a digg at me, get it right hx.
Thanks.

Return to “Thailand News”