Mae Hong Song to Tak, almost.

Northern Thailand forum
laphanphon

Mae Hong Song to Tak, almost.

Post by laphanphon » March 22, 2009, 6:41 am

Finally leaving after a short week, very pleasant town, kept that way by it’s isolation, unless flying in, not the easier city to visit. A good 4 hr ride from CM, and I drive pretty hard, push the car and road, and had very little traffic. Also dry season does have it’s advantage, and I could see thru the foliage and around the bends, and drive much faster, and very little traffic both in, from CR, and out to Mae Sot. Southward to Mae Sariang took well over 2 hrs, then another 4 plus hrs to Mae Sot, not including stops, for munch and photo ops. Though all were very good roads, much improved over 6 yrs ago, when I did the same, just reverse direction. Hwy 108/105 takes you all the way.

Pit stop in Mae Sariang was a necessity, would not recommend a one day attempt at driving the whole distance. Not so much that 10 hr is long, is not for me, but the fact that you are ‘driving’ that whole time. It is a windy road, from extreme reverse hairpins, and up/down hills, to some straight away and great scenery, even off season w/smokey haze.

Mae Sariang isn’t much of a town, couple gh along river, which would be relaxing. Opted for in town, all walking distance hotel, not worth mentioning, triple for 600, comfy. Riverhouse hotel would be a good choice, 700 if staying a day or two, but I was just sleeping and had no desire to sit out in heat. Turned into a wise choice, as night market was next to hotel, after a stroll along river to find food was unsuccessful. Inthara Restaurant is well worth a mention, tasty and inexpensive. As last time in town, everyone seems to recommend them, strangely the ac room was being cleaned, and Gem noticed on menu, that they charge 10 baht per person for that option.

Leaving town to Mae Sot, the road are little bit straighter, less hill, and much better vis along the border, though i notice Thai news blaming Myanmar fires for the haze, and assisting them in extinguishing. The closer to the border, the clearer it was, though in the news defense, maybe they were referring to more northern area.

Made a munch break at hwy 105/1267, excellent little restaurant, at turn for entrance to park there, hard to miss, only thing that looks like a restaurant you would eat at. On southeast corner of intersection. Has pre-prepped, which I always pass on, but she made a special for me, slight variation of panaeng, but with chicken, pork was prepped already. No complaints on the other meals, and escaped for less than 200, 4 servings, water, large Leo. Lovely. Besides a fine munch, and long drive, not much to report, so the pics can finish this one up. Will probably bypass Tak, and head to Nakhon Sawan. Some classic hill tribe villages along the way. The one we took pics from the roadside, as I won’t play tourist at them, against my thinking, but Ree asked a lass strolling by, and was told most are Karon.

these 2 got a big smile, when seeing themselves on the camera.
Last edited by laphanphon on March 22, 2009, 6:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

laphanphon

Re: Mae Hong Song to Tak, almost.

Post by laphanphon » March 22, 2009, 6:42 am

just a shot from the road as we passed by this village, and close up below

This one, a gh I wanted to stay at, as tired of driving, but not to be, couldn’t find owner, and they now have a new footprint, Ree’s, in concrete, being laid to rooms along river, only access, so doubtful if rent, since no access to rooms.
Last edited by laphanphon on March 22, 2009, 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » March 22, 2009, 6:46 am

Great pics, LA! =D>

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » March 22, 2009, 8:08 am

Yes agree...very enjoyable.
Tak is my old stomping ground, loved it a nice town with river running through it, take a visit to Bhumipol Dam..(if you have not already...which i bet you have) turn off main highway well before Tak (town)...nice and easy.
Thanks for the reports/pics.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » March 22, 2009, 8:29 am

you mean this place, yes, popped in last time thru the area, though in the middle of a terminally ill relationship, another reason for a revisit, much more enjoyable w/better company. huge dam and lake behind it, and very nice stream afterwards.

while flashing back, one from mae sariang, i think, not the usually mode as transport, days past. sure a better time and a better world, when used by all, maybe. least couldn't blame them for climate change.

of course, below, the new improved version of the oxcart, taking at the munch stop, waiting for more psgrs to arrive, final count was 3 on scooter, and 6 in trailer, being held by hand. very safe during an evasive move.. :roll: :roll:

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » March 22, 2009, 12:20 pm

Another good thread, LA. Good idea to enter your travelogue comments first. After reading it all in entirety, the pictures had all completely downloaded. Thanks for sharing. =D>

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » March 23, 2009, 5:41 am

Great old photos thanks, as i don't have anymore left of the area these brought it all back....I remember ox carts on the roads in that area also circa 1990 +...would of liked to dropped by the Dam a couple of years back, but impossible ...you know what women can be like.. :roll: ..So had to drive straight past the turn off.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » March 23, 2009, 9:02 am

couple more for you, some just different angles of same, only have a few on computer, the rest have the 'ex' in them, so deleted. i've learned to take pics with present love in them, then ask them to step out, and take same again, just in case. hmm, i have a lot of faith, :lol: ex's seem to ruin a lot of great shots :yikes: :fryingpan: :guiness:

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » March 23, 2009, 7:06 pm

Very Good Thanks La...also in that area Langsan national park was a good visit, also Sure it was Thaksin materat (something like that) another park...did have overnight accomadation...you can hire all cooking stuff to have BBQ ,beer and cold early mornings...the route along the border up to Mai sarang was ok..a few stop off points resorts, camp fires, sunrises etc can't think of names though...have wheels will travel, waterfalls,caves,Mountains,Wats,and places of interest. good memories.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » March 24, 2009, 7:31 am

i find myself in a position i never thought possible . i am totally envious of L A !!!!!!! i have wanted to do a return trip to this area for over a year now , but what with the house and all , never managed to find the time . now we have 2 soi puppys that decided to adopt us , and thier too young to travel or be left for a nieghbour to look after , it looks like its going to be a bit longer before we do manage to get back there , and L A posting these piks with his running comentary have just wetted my apetite even more . yea , thanks L A :( :( :( :( excellent posting , and i note no JOKES !!!!!!! maybe you could be the official udonmap tour guide ? you would only need a crash course in english !!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » March 24, 2009, 8:28 am

if it gets to you too much, we'll trade residences for a week, though i may keep your gate locked afterwards. :lol: :lol: :lol: that would be a major downgrade for you, my garage, oop, loft apartment, :D :D

english, what's that, it's yank, and after a re-read, :yikes: , notice the editing :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “Northern Thailand”