House made of steel...some assembly required.

Information on building a house, buying poperty and land, and all other general contruction topics...
Farang1
udonmap.com

House made of steel...some assembly required.

Post by Farang1 » July 18, 2009, 4:01 pm

I thought I posted this once. If this is a duplicate, sorry.

Back in December I had mentioned in the thread "House made of wood" I was building a house using light gauge steel framing. I had the foundation and floor built in January but, due to some delivery issues, the frame didn't arrive until Friday. My wife has loaned out the digital camera and all I have is an old fashion film camera so, I will post photos as soon as I can get the film developed and scanned.

They had started the assembly yesterday and said it will take about a week to finish. If you are in the neighborhood, you are welcome to take a peek.

http://maps.google.co.th/maps/ms?hl=en& ... 2&t=h&z=14[/googlemap]

Thaitanium

Re: House made of steel...some assembly required.

Post by Thaitanium » July 19, 2009, 2:04 pm

Farang,

Are building, using shipping containers? I've been interested in steel homes for quite some time. Has anybody in Udon built any container homes, similar to the Green Container Homes, from the recent Green Home Exhibition in Bangkok ?

I've checked with my own shipping company in Bangkok, and was quoted a thousand USD, up to three thousand USD per 68 CM (40 foot ) containers, depending on condition, and can be shipped easily to Udon. Some containers are free, as long you pay for shipping, but most likely in not so great condition.

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » July 19, 2009, 9:22 pm

Are building, using shipping containers?
Shipping container that are built out to becomes living space. I have seen them. Even lived in one for a couple years. But, no, that's not what we are doing here. We are building similar to a stick house but, instead of using wood, we are using light gauge steel that is formed to resemble wood 2X4's
Attachments
scan0014.jpg
Truck arrives
scan0014.jpg (57.62 KiB) Viewed 11539 times
scan0013.jpg
House in pieces
scan0013.jpg (73.43 KiB) Viewed 11539 times
scan0015.jpg
Unloading
scan0015.jpg (72.41 KiB) Viewed 11539 times

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » July 19, 2009, 9:33 pm

This was done Friday after the truck was unloaded.
Attachments
scan0011.jpg
Laying things out
scan0011.jpg (64.13 KiB) Viewed 11535 times
scan0012.jpg
Pieces bundled per panel
scan0012.jpg (61.81 KiB) Viewed 11535 times
scan0010.jpg
1st bedroom assemble
scan0010.jpg (66.32 KiB) Viewed 11535 times

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » July 19, 2009, 9:44 pm

This was Saturday
Attachments
scan0004.jpg
Putting things together
scan0004.jpg (74.58 KiB) Viewed 11529 times
scan0009.jpg
From the back lloking toward living room
scan0009.jpg (76.72 KiB) Viewed 11529 times
scan0008.jpg
Wall for livingroom
scan0008.jpg (82.31 KiB) Viewed 11529 times

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » July 19, 2009, 9:48 pm

Comes with holes punched in it for wires and plumbing.
Attachments
scan0001.jpg
scan0001.jpg (81.8 KiB) Viewed 11527 times

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » July 19, 2009, 9:57 pm

Ah, thanks for the pictures farang1, I think I now understand what you are discussing.
You are using tubular steel where a Thai builder would use re-enforced concrete pillars..YES???
Do you still use Blocks or bricks as a filler between the pillars???

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » July 19, 2009, 10:07 pm

I've always used steel for commercial buildings in the USA, very efficient. Some contractors there have started to use steel for residential construction, but face a lot of opposition from the carpenters unions (as can be expected). I wonder about the economics here in Thailand since labor is so cheap, and that's the major advantage of steel framework, reduced labor costs. But I'm sure you've thought that out. Nice pics, looks like a very well run operation.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » July 19, 2009, 10:15 pm

I had never seen steel roof construction until I had come to Thailand Jimbo.
It is all wood in the UK..
I have never been "in the trade" but could quickly see the benefits of using steel in roof construction, although the "Health & Safety" in UK would have a fit at construction methods in Thailand :D - it is (basically) done "off site" in UK & then just pieced together as a couple of bits on site.
As you say, most of the (concrete) construction in Thailand is done by low paid labourers & so must be relatively cost effective...

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » July 19, 2009, 11:23 pm

Wow! All wood! I've never seen a wood roof in recent years. Mind you, I'm talking commercial buildings. proceessing plants, warehouses and such. You're right about the H&S aspect of it. I've sent a few pics of electrical construction to my former H&S guy in the States and he was horrified. :shock: If he were here, I fear that most construction in Thailand would be shut down immediately :fryingpan: , especially in the rural areas (that is, if he had the authority, which he had when he worked for me). Especially these guys that work on the utility poles in our subdivision with bamboo ladders, bare feet, no safety harnesses, etc. But somehow, they survive. Oh well, TIT. :D

keith555
udonmap.com

Post by keith555 » July 19, 2009, 11:26 pm

Take a look at the new shopping centre by the train station,steel structure then bricks and blocks on the outside,makes for a strong structure and a fast build time.can also be used so you can have big windows as well. :D

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » July 20, 2009, 12:09 am

i like it, nice thread, keep them coming, and if you get a chance, jot down some cost, as if i build another house, it will have no wood, and lots of glass. steel would be a nice and easy way to work with the designs in my head.

thanks.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » July 20, 2009, 2:45 am

I would be very interested in seeing more pic's, especially the exterior walls as they are being completed. From what I see so far(with these old eye's) it looks like the steel frame goes all the way to the edge of the cement pad, with no main supports other then the walls. In my area in the U.S. the use of the steel 2x4 walls are only used for non load bearing interior walls. Then sheet rock is hung with special hangers on the steel 2x4's after all electrical wiring is done.

tigerryan
udonmap.com

Post by tigerryan » July 20, 2009, 2:56 am

Another great benefit of steel is that they are all dead straight. 20% of the wood studs are bent like my crank and you always have knots exactly where you want to nail them together.

There are interior and structural/bearing wall grades I think they are great, another benefit is all the holes for electrical are already pre punched.

NOLA
udonmap.com

Post by NOLA » July 20, 2009, 7:14 am

Could you possibly give some detailed instructions on how to get to your building site???

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » July 20, 2009, 8:35 am

NOLA wrote:Could you possibly give some detailed instructions on how to get to your building site???
Nola have at look at the OP - there is a google map there which (seems) to clearly show the location.

You can zoom in by clicking on the + character in the top LH corner.

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » July 20, 2009, 12:21 pm

BobHelm wrote:Ah, thanks for the pictures farang1, I think I now understand what you are discussing.
You are using tubular steel where a Thai builder would use re-enforced concrete pillars..YES???
Do you still use Blocks or bricks as a filler between the pillars???
No. it is not tubular steel. It is thin 22 gauge that comes in a coil and run through a machine to form into a C shape. Holes punched and cut to size. Not going to use any brick. The plan is Smart Board exterior. In the States, it is known as Hardy plank. It also comes in 4x8 sheets for the interior at about the same price a drywall. Wiring and plumbing is in the wall and insulated. Same as in the US.

The house is about 1900 sqft. Price tag on the frame was $21,845 USD and was made in the Philippines. Shipping to BKK, import duty and VAT was 182k Baht. Truck to UTH was 32k Baht. The price of the frame includes assembly on site. There wasn't a machine in Thailand for this particular system when I ordered to frame. The guy I am dealing with is the Thailand rep for the manufacturer of the machine. HE has since bought a machine that should be up and running this year. With the machine in Thailand, should bring the costs down.

It was suppose to be delivered last April but, when it arrived in BKK there were missing and damaged pieces of the roof framing. He reordered the entire roof frame and wait for delivery.

A little help to get out here. Head east on hwy 22 about 4 or 5km toward Nong Han from Ring Road. There is a gas station on the left pst the power substation. (Don't know the name. It has what looks like a turquois leaf on the sign) If you go past the Shell station, you went to far. Take the next U turn and head back toward UTH about a kilometer and you'll see a sign pointing directions to 3 Wats. Take the next road to the left. There are a few driveways so be watchful not to take them. There is a sign that has been partly knock down at the road. Follow the road about 2 or 3 km and we are on the left.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » July 20, 2009, 1:09 pm

Thanks for all the details Farang. It certainly will be a very different house to those usually built in Thailand & I am sure will attract plenty of interest/attention.
Can you keep the pictures coming????
I, for one, will be very interested to see how it all turns out & what your feelings about it are...

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » July 20, 2009, 10:22 pm

OK, will do. There wasn't much progress, today. All the walls are up and they were squaring things up and getting it ancored to the floor. They were also getting things ready to do the roof framing.

If you want to see the system I chose, the manufacturer has a little video on their website. www.framecad.com

I was hoping to buy a machine, myself, and bring it into Thailand but, it was a little out of my price range. They refered me to their agent in BKK and that is how things got started.

The contractor that did the foundation is actually my wife's uncle. It is his first exposure to this type of building and there were a few mistakes. Nothing to terrible and is fixable.

There is going to be a step that I will need a reference for. I have been reading in the forum the hunt for an electrician that understands the importance of grounding the house. Has anyone come up with a sparky I can talk to when the time comes?

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » July 20, 2009, 10:57 pm

Try the guy listed here, seems to know his stuff.

his work
http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/c ... 7-285.html

his phone info
http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/c ... 7-300.html

Return to “House & Land”