Night Market Get Together

Monthly meetings, organizations, important dates to remember etc.
lee
udonmap.com

Re: Night Market Get Together

Post by lee » September 7, 2009, 10:42 am

I attended the meetings in the earlier days when it was a change of venue each month, and usually through the night we'd move on to other places. The current permanent fixture at Preecha Market is not my cup of tea. Horses for courses I guess. ;)

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » September 7, 2009, 10:50 am

Zidane wrote:Ah,so could this be either Bob or Dave pictured at the Nightmarket on a Saturday a few weeks back ?
No that picture was Brenda, though she was using the name Dave at the time, so she wouldn't be recognised! ;) :lol:

Yes, I used to like the moving on to other venues bit. :D

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » September 7, 2009, 11:26 am

Back then it made sense to hold the meetings at bars and restaurants that were sponsors of UdonMap. Gradually, the regulars at the meetings seemed to just prefer meeting at the Night Market with the cheaper beer and Thai delicacies available (ok, the eyecandy beer gals :D ). And some goood Thai/Isaan grub. I've attended a few (not in incognito drag, either), including one held at the old Koala Bar. A fun time but I'm really not much of a socializer so usually stay home in my own hermitage, er village and read in the forum about all of the fun that was had. 8)

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » September 7, 2009, 1:25 pm

The thing I didn't like about changing venues was once we were settled at one,going to the next one was unsettling.The group would kind of breakup as seating arrangements were not always convenient,smoking and atmosphere changing made a difference also!

The NM offers more choices,cheaper prices,IMO! :D

cryptic
udonmap.com

Post by cryptic » September 7, 2009, 2:30 pm

JimboPSM wrote:

2. Paul, LA, Wokkawombat and myself (at Mojo’s).[/list]

Well I'll be.....all those years ago and Mojo's had free food back then.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » September 7, 2009, 3:15 pm

Some of those early meetings were good fun. Think I must have attended the 3rd one at The Horsehoe Bar. Seem to remember Paul,LA,Pops, Lee, plus a couple of others who left a bit earlier. Went onto Full Moon for a few, when that closed the girls as Full Moon gave us lifts on their bikes to a Club somewhere in town. Seem to have a fuzzy recollection of dancing on a table? God knows how I got back to my hotel. :?
Also remember meeting up on other visits at Mono Place and Horseshoe bar a second time.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » September 7, 2009, 3:18 pm

I don't attend the NM meeting simply because it is not my 'thing'. Large Social gatherings never have been & never will be.
I am now at the stage in my life where I no longer need to undertake Social activities to please anyone but myself. :D It certainly has nothing to do with a wish to remain incognico. If I was that way inclinded I would have probably taken a different user name. :D
To the people that do enjoy it good luck & happy they do; my not wanting to is in no way a comment or has nothing to do with anything but ME. :D

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » September 7, 2009, 5:30 pm

Arrrr Dave is in fact Brenda and is a female....that explains a lot now..thanks, so its a farang katoey cross-dressing mod who lingers in the background viewing the night market regulars,... at a distance of course...., and Brenda should have gone to spec savers.. :lol:
Can You Dig It Dug.?

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » September 7, 2009, 6:16 pm

Galee wrote:Some of those early meetings were good fun.... Seem to have a fuzzy recollection of dancing on a table?
Can't find the evidence of you dancing on the tables - but with a little imagination this may give the picture (with probably the best drinking song ever written – vocals by the late, great Mario Lanza).
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vbLl2C3ChYY&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vbLl2C3ChYY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
:guiness: :guiness: :guiness:
Ashamed to be English since 23rd June 2016 when England voted for racism & economic suicide.

Disgusted that the UK is “governed” by a squalid bunch of economically illiterate, self-serving, sleazy and corrupt neo-fascists.

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » September 7, 2009, 6:38 pm

Yes, thanks jimboPSM, got the message loud and clear and I will of course be amongst the spirit of things at the next NM meeting... :guiness: ... you are quite right - it is the best classic best drinking song ever, even though my gprs modem has just melted and I will be faced with a ha pan bill next month... nevertherless..very enjoyable...... \:D/

Geordie
udonmap.com

Post by Geordie » September 7, 2009, 6:57 pm

aznyron wrote:when I first went to the N/M /meets there were more people attended few of my American friends seem to wandered off to another bar were they have there social meets another one went back to the States so now it down to me Doug Ralph Geordie Old timer Dave Scotty LA Stan that bring it to 9 regulars and few pop up
I brought a few friends to ad. 2 from the UK 1 from Aus. and one from the USA oh and John comes (wokawombat) when he is in town. sadly Rito & Cliff went AWOL to another bar with WBU who never attended the N/M meet since I have been going. I have never seen any of the mods come if so I did not know they were mods. I want to say is let U/M stay on U/M and the meets we just have fun if the mods show up don't break there balls about deleting post of suspending members for a month this is why they will not come and a message to the mods if you come don't lecture any one about there behavior it a fun night not a night for B/S I think this pretty much covers it any one got some thing to ad please do
Ron you've said it all , see you Saturday mate.

seymourbutts
udonmap.com

Post by seymourbutts » September 8, 2009, 10:16 pm

So does this mean we get a Sponsored Tower from udon Map????

Anyway Ralphs away in Uk so its a great opportunity for us all to talk about him!!!!!!

Anyway see you all saturday!!! Anyone know where i can get some good cigars for the next meeting???

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » September 13, 2009, 5:08 pm

last nights one was a blast, I've only been to a few of theses meetings, but there was more people there than ever last night, I won't attempt to mention names because I have been known to bugger that up in the past - very very enjoyable evening - great laugh and great company...
O/T...working for the community......... \:D/

seymourbutts
udonmap.com

Post by seymourbutts » September 13, 2009, 6:01 pm

Agreed Simon, it was a good night and lots attended, where was saint??? good to meet some new faces, jimbo lv, malc, its good to put a face to a name... i look forward to the next one where i shall buy a tower or 2 to "wet my babies head".... And of course we are all looking forward to the december one as Aznyron will be the birthday boy and buying lots and lots of towers!!!!!!

Oh and good luck to you and your good lady with your pending arrival jimbo!!
Last edited by seymourbutts on September 13, 2009, 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » September 13, 2009, 6:02 pm

Dave you can buy good cigars in Havana :lol: Simon (O>T>) I will give them the list
here who was at the N/M Geordie- Jimbo LV - Scotty - Cliff - Dave _ Roy (Mortieboy) - LA.- O.T. -
my friend Ken - myself - We missed Doug Ralph Stan Rito I think I covered every one
if I missed you please forgive me. yes the evening was great Cliff & I had a debate over 32 & 64 bit O/S
lot of jokes told and the beer flowed. I know I am giving notice early but the December meet please come I will buy 5 towers of beer for that meet that should send some of you home glassy eyed LOL if not enough I will buy more. Dave wife should have the baby before the next meet so he will buy a tower of Beer
to celebrate his new Son Daniel

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » September 13, 2009, 11:50 pm

Yes it was a great evening, felt very welcome for my first attendance, a great bunch of guys. Very compatible group. Nice to associate some faces with names. Duang enjoyed it also. although she was a little apprehensive at first. She passes by the computer occasionally and thinks I'm talking to women and I had a hard time explaining the forum to her, especially why a grown man would choose a picture of a female as an avatar. Oh well to each (or her) his own....I think??? But she understands now and can't wait until the next meeting. Put me down for a tower or two (now that I know what a tower is) in November, my 39th birthday. :^o

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » September 23, 2009, 6:39 pm

valentine wrote:Okay whose hijacked the meeting forum?
Answer - O/T...
There is another meeting this coming Saturday at the Tent Market, quite easy to find as there are a lot of tents, I came across this meeting by accident last month and gatecrashed it, turned out to be a very enjoyable evening.... :guiness: ..
O/T... working for the community...chock dee.. \:D/

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » October 2, 2009, 1:18 pm

Galee wrote:Some of those early meetings were good fun. Think I must have attended the 3rd one at The Horsehoe Bar. Seem to remember Paul,LA,Pops, Lee, plus a couple of others who left a bit earlier. Went onto Full Moon for a few, when that closed the girls as Full Moon gave us lifts on their bikes to a Club somewhere in town. Seem to have a fuzzy recollection of dancing on a table? God knows how I got back to my hotel. :?
Also remember meeting up on other visits at Mono Place and Horseshoe bar a second time.
Galee, you have hit the nail on the head.

The original concept was to meet the faces behind the names on Udonmap, and to provide a little support for those sponsors who were paying money to advertise but not actually seeing any benefits. A bunch of farangs spending a few hours partaking of their fayre once in a while was deemed a good idea.
Additionally, it enabled many of the members attending to try out restaurants and bars they might not otherwise have done and when there are a group of you its not as disconcerting as entering on your own or as a couple.
It was like a night out with 'the boys'
There was never a shortage of venues to go to and it was decided by democratic vote which venue we would visit next time.
Those initial meetings were a lot of fun and we have many tales to tell about those meetings LOL, slowly though some people said they preferred the night market (the beer was cheaper) and for a while we initially met up there then those of us so inclined went on to other venues later.
Times changed things and most of the older members of the group tended to stick at the night market and stay there all night. For the rest of us - it simply wasn't our thing and we missed out the night market - going directly to the more favoured venues.
Whatever rocks your boat I guess.

Time changes many things and if the Udonmap meetings have turned into a night 'in the night-market' then great. Enjoy it - but remember its not for everyone.

seymourbutts
udonmap.com

Post by seymourbutts » October 3, 2009, 10:31 am

And remember it is just as much fun if not more!!! And we have motorised vehicles now so we dont have to rely on mothers buffalo cart :D :D :D

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » October 3, 2009, 11:38 am

i really enjoyed the start up of the meetings, enjoyed the different venues, really motivated us to get out and about, meet and greet, and discover this place we call home. night market is relaxing, but i can do that anytime by myself, nice to meet a friend while there, usual for a saturday with us, Rito or Val most times. always fun to catch up. i definitely have hearing problems at preecha market.

i think one reason i don't change venues during meetings is the increased traffic and DUI check points since the beginning. just too congested. though plenty of venues in walking distance from each other, and plenty of new venues, or at least new owners of same :D to keep anyone busy on a pub crawl.

Return to “Notice Board”