Where have all the posters gone?

Post your thoughts here if you are not sure where to post it!
trubrit
udonmap.com

Re: Where have all the posters gone?

Post by trubrit » November 26, 2009, 7:14 pm

Kudjap or Bust wrote:
Moderators you are ruining this forum.
So now at least you have an alternative .Be grateful . [-o<

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 26, 2009, 7:15 pm

trubrit wrote:Posers Bob? Was that really a typo? :lol:
Oh I really wish I could claim the wit to have done that TB :D :D Sadly I must own up to a typo spell checker did not identify :D

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » November 26, 2009, 7:26 pm

Mr Helm, apologies I posted the above before reading your latest

In no way did I ask, or mean to ask, if you felt threatened personally, I was asking, in my own not so literate way, if the Mod who deleted a link, that it is possible I and many other members and tourists would have found interesting, felt threatened by UT. I have seen many other links to informational threads on other forums but they have not been removed.
As I say above all the malicious and slanderous and stupid posts are prone to be deleted and I agree 100% with it but why solid information??????

Here's the thing, I have in the past been a Moderator of a chat forum and I knew the rules inside out and as yourself I was doing it as a volunteer. I must admit and I'm wrong for not doing so but I have not read the rules of the forum, does it say in the rules that links to other websites or forums are not allowed? If not again I ask the question why was the link removed?????

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 26, 2009, 7:35 pm

Well Kudjap we are down to that are we.
If you read the thread LA was offended at then you will see that (in response to a request) he posted a phone number for the taxi service then a link to an equivalent thread in UT. I considered the link unnecessary. As far as I could see LA had 100% answered the question asked so any link to anywhere was totally unnecessary, so I deleted it.
As to if I have a personal beef with UT well not especially.
However, neither am I especially inclined to promote an organisation that allows it members to personally call me a liar and, because of being a moderator with UM , a fascist. But maybe I am a little thin skinned that way....

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » November 26, 2009, 7:39 pm

Who cares!!! I left UM for 6 months some 2 years ago because almost ALL of the re-locators had nothing to do but hijack threads and INCREASE the POST count which seems to be their priority. Let em do in their newly found location and leave us alone. NOT MISSED AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED. [-o<

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 26, 2009, 7:40 pm

Posted above before I saw your reply.....
YES any post that is(in the eyes of the reader) seen as being designed to "promote" another web site is illegal under the rules...

Wisdom
udonmap.com

Post by Wisdom » November 26, 2009, 7:55 pm

I must say, i have never understood the problem some posters have with Moderators. I have had a one sentence post, deleted, but it deserved to be, being written in anger. I mean, without Moderators, they would be a lot more personal attacks and nastiness on the forum. Sometimes in the past, during the early hours in Udon but evening in UK, when no Moderators were awake to check content, Udonmap forum could become bandit country, with personal attacks between posters, rogue dodgy salesman trying to sell their products, and other weird stuff. But also often personal attacks on various Moderators, daring them, "delete me, delete me". Which often, once dawn broke in Thailand and a Moderator checked the night before contents, they got their wish, and rightly so!

This is a forum run by Udonmap. They have their rules. If you go outside them, you should expect to have action against you. What is the problem!? :roll:

However i respect and like many of the posters who have set up udonmap, and i suppose you could say, they have been honourable to their feelings. I wish good luck to both websites into the future. :D

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » November 26, 2009, 7:58 pm

It is not all beer and skittles on the other site. One of the moderators got into it with one of the posters. It was not pleasant reading.

But, the poster here is correct in that some of the people now in bed with one another on UT is an unexpected development in light of their previous confrontational behaviour on this site.

Anyway, both sites have appeal, and it does not hurt to have an additional voice in cyber space about Udonthani.

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » November 26, 2009, 7:58 pm

Thank you Mr Helm, I must say though IMO it's not really your call to remove a link just because you consider it unnecessary, is it? As a Mod you should be merely upholding the forum rules, correct or incorrect... This particular link may just have given more information than a simple phone number (as requested in the UM thread)

You say:
"As to if I have a personal beef with UT well 'not especially', neither am I especially inclined to promote an organisation that allows it members to personally call me a liar and a fascist "

Sounds like there's some underlying beef to me......Yes sir, I believe you are too thin skinned to be a Mod.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » November 26, 2009, 8:08 pm

As the topic question asked " Where have all the posters gone? It seems appropiate to point out, it looks like there still here . :lol:
As the topic seems to have wandered into a discussion on both moderation and links to UT. I would like to give my thoughts on both .Firstly moderation . I am an opponent of moderation but now see the need for it. I am sure everyone, moderators and members alike would prefer to see posters being sensible enough to moderate their own postings so as not to cause offence to others . Sadly that hasn't been true in the past and their action has been necessary to prevent not only offence to others but indeed to protect the integrity of the forum itself .
[Some words removed by Mod Team, in agreement with poster]

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 26, 2009, 8:17 pm

I have, I believe, explained my actions in a very fair manner. If you cannot see the irony in the last quote you make from me then I do despair for you and totally understand why you have a problem with my explanation.
As to if anyone should actually have to endure being called a liar & a fascist - personally I feel deeply about being called either as nothings further from the truth. I guess if its a fair assessment of someone's character then they might struggle to comprehend that...

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 26, 2009, 8:51 pm

Thank you virginprune for the OP.

This is a debate that needed to be had - as much as it has been debated on UT.

Putting aside for the moment Val's revelations (which come as a surprise to me), I always felt that the raison d'être for setting up UT ie a reaction against UM, was bound to eventually end up in disappointment. I suspect you cannot sustain a forum based on negativity.

Having initially joined UT, with some reservations, at the invitation of a guy who I respect if nothing else than for his clear and open honesty, I followed it with interest. I even commented on the forum on what I believed would be needed for it to grow and progress based on it's own identity. A big part of this was (in my view) how they would set their moderation policy, given that initially the founders seem to have decided one wasn't needed - seemingly as a reaction against what they saw as the evils of UM.

It goes without saying that the undisciplined and unintelligent soon took advantage of the laissez faire policy, and shock, horror, the mods (all of them ex-UM luminaries) had to step in.

Next came Val's honest assessment of how he saw UT to date - essentially as "lightweight". I must say I agreed with him. Coupled with what I saw the beatification by (a few) UT members of some of UM's less salubrious, and certainly (in my view) now unmissed members, I came to the conclusion that UT was not relevant to me, and thereafter have not revisited.

I wish them well, but do not believe they will be around for all that long.

But I have been wrong before :D

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 26, 2009, 9:16 pm

In case anyone thinks that I do not actually wish UT all the best then they are hugely mistaken. I certainly do & have the greatest respect for some of the founders who set it up & the efforts that it must have taken & the efforts it will take them in the future. Good luck is all I can say...

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » November 26, 2009, 9:30 pm

Kudjap or Bust wrote
It realy is time the Mods on here got a grip on reality, whereas I agree with the removal of malicious or slanderous postings, where someone posts a bonefide informational link there should be no reason on this planet to delete it
i agree with this statement.............................stay with me. i also agree, as does kudjap, the official rules and regulation are excellent and needed. if someone asked me about snakes, i would provide that excellent 'siam snake thailand link, and a link to UM fine thread with Michael C, which i just did both to LP. NOW, the um taxi thread asked for phone numbers, one was provided by docta, one i persoanally haven't seen. also asked if having rates posted, an old and incorrect answer was given. i found the information, and additional phone numbers and talked to one of the drivers. so i typed a short post, adding a phone number, which was on page 2 of a 3 page thread on UT, with a link to page 3, which had the pertinent accurate info asked, but not completely provided on UM. below is what the link would of provided if clicked on. i just tried to add this to the taxi meter thread here, but it is locked, if a mod would unlock and add, info below the line, then relock, that may be appreciated to people seeking taxi info. as you can see, the link did provide nothing but info, hence me agreement with kudjap/bust.

thanks in advance for adding to meter taxi thread on UM.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Re: Udon Metered Taxis

Postby UdornLA » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:34 pm

up to 10, with 3 more coming next month. prices within the ring road are metered, outside ring rd, not sure what that means, there is a printed price list, which i didn't peek at. so with few more coming, they must be doing ok.

pics with phone numbers

1st 3 numbers seem to be on the back of every taxi window, last number says rent to drive/buy, contact if you want to own and be taxi driver i guess......any takers... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dee
udonmap.com

Post by dee » November 26, 2009, 10:07 pm

thats for the information LA.

Roy
udonmap.com
Location: Outside LA's hoping to get a glimpse of his naked maid

Post by Roy » November 26, 2009, 10:47 pm

If I may add my two pennies worth to this interesting topic as a long serving UM member and also having a little something to do with UT.

I couldn't agree more with the majority of posts here. If your seeking factual information the Map is hard to beat. The members here know just about all there is to know about Udonthani and the surrounding regions, the archived information could fill an encyclopedia.
UT, "lightweight"? maybe so but I would also hope that it provides some form of entertainment to those who chose to use it.
I do understand the reasons given here by some that UT is not the place for them and whilst I personally will miss their input, we can't please all of the people all of the time as nether can UM.
Maybe you are the kind of person how only ever uses one pub, like to stick to what you know but personally I like to visit many pubs during an evening out and none of the owners have ever complained that I am moving on to the next venue. Its the same with internet forums folks, as someone already said "Your not made to swear a pledge of allegiance".
Although I am no longer a regular poster I would be lying if I claimed that I no longer monitored UM, of course I do. Not out of competitiveness, WE ARE NOT IN COMPETITION, but for purely for informative reasons.

There is definitely room for both of us in this big old interverse so please lets not carry on this them and us thing, its just not necessary.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » November 27, 2009, 6:01 am

Virginprune wrote:where have many of the older posters gone ie beer monkey
I'm still here....thanks for the mention, didn't think anyone had noticed the lack of my 'postings'......anyway, read through the postings on this thread, hope none of it is aimed at me...well some of it might be, but i hope not in a hateful sort of way, my ears have been burning all day, its been my little boys 4th Birthday so not really been online much today, anyway i see a few rants + Raves about some things....room for 2...of course more than enough...in competition...Nahhh running alongside in a smaller scale, small acorns and all that...i used to read the map archive when Map first started...only a handful of people some still around today,,,it was a friendly forum i recall with most using first names....chit chat banter etc...it grew i joined on 1st Jan 2006....and basically got hooked, i had only be connected to the WWW for about 3 weeks and was using a PC for the first time in my life......i knew nothing....got friendly with a few and got plenty of tips etc...i was hooked....more and more, took sometime to 'get in' on the regulars who posted...but eventually felt right at home...was using this forum for upto 12 hours per day...i had ideas...i did a lot of work finding stuff to post...i made sure my posts where readable...set out well...easy on the eye, added photos, wanted it to look interesting..I helped other that where having a bit of difficulty with the forum when i could..did a fair bit of detective work too...and tried to be a bit humourous, sometimes it didn't work,...plus some really didn't have a sence of humour, and you need one of those.. :lol: .. i love a joke i see fun i want to make fun, be it for my own benefit as well as for others, i like to make people laugh.

i recall i was the same at school all the way through right upto now.......thats just me i have always seen the funny side of everything.....see a joke...been silly...immature some would say, i am a boy at heart........i know some must have got fed up with me always seeing me posting stuff some may even got sick of the username...to be honest i am not too keen on it myself...i remember why i picked it back on New years day in 2006....but thats another story... :mrgreen:

anyway where was i......ohh yeah, i still check out UM of course i do, 3 years of me is still here, i made a lot of friends on here...some i have met some i haven't but feel like i have....strange really isn't it posting personal thoughts for the world to see....you can build a picture up of members you have never met....i have never been unpleasant or nasty on this forum, not like some....even when 'fights' have broke out between others, i liked to pop up with a post to try to get a break in the 'spate'...maybe raise a laugh or whatever....a few very good debates have been had.....
i used to read everything on here...take part if i could,i was a junky...i learn't a lot..i recived pms asking what happened when things got deleted as everyone knew i would have seen it....I made a lot of posts, some good some crap,i tried to get things going when it was quite, i hated a quite forum, i liked it lively ..there have been some great characters come and go and some come back some still here...all gave me a smile i am sure of that...its been fantastic..I loved the banter, and no it was not to increase postings, i just loved to post, even started an off topic chit chat thread hoping to keep all my banter in there, but didn't always work out........i did tale off posting before the udon-talk forum was opened....partly because of a ' pm' i received by the ' unknown' Mod Dave58, don't know why one of the others that i had known online for the last 3 years couldn't have done it instead of using Dave to do it as they where all agreement with his words, but thats all water now.....yes i felt i was over moderated at times and others too...sometimes yes it was probably called for but sometimes i feel it was done out of spite just because they could, things where being tightened up...i watched it happen as i noticed everything being online for so long..Now Being a Modulator myself on the other forum i am hoping not to have too much to do...in actual fact i have only deleted a few words because someone had reported it.....its still finding its feet for sure.

So i do still read some stuff....admittedly not all but i am still active on the great FF thread, i notice lots of new names now thats great freshens things up...new ideas, new thoughts new styles a forum needs that,....i notice Galee mentions how nice some of the UT members are to each other on UT as they weren't that nice on here.,yes i think they even talked about that themselfs a few weeks ago.....and they even said that may well change. :lol: I am the same there as i was here...now wether some think thats good or bad i don't know, but i am just me same old same old A forum needs all sorts and the map had/has them,i am sure UT will get the same,will it last,well i don't see why not, might take sometime to get massive like on here not even sure thats the aim, at the moment its for chit chat + Banter with info too but this forum started small.

and just a small point regarding something Tilo said on this thread...about one of the mods having a go with a member and was not nice reading...i take it that was me....i was posting as me...as the poster got me very much wrong and thats how it came across too and i was putting it right..(Slowly anyway)...still we got there in the end with no nastiness...its just not me i am just a cheeky chappie at times.

Seems Trubrit didn't like it after a while,.neither did JackS...shame as i liked to read both posters postings,can still read them on here though.. it is a lightweight compared with what they are used too of course it is...but given time sure it will pan-out and all the members will shape it thought they might been part of the shaping process but its not to be..
The map is the number 1 source for Udon Info i have always said that and sure it will continue to do so.
As for me.. for those that thought you had seen the back of BM..solly but i am still around...i am part of the furniture it says so under my username. :badteeth:

Anyway Thanks everyone for a great 3 years..

(apologies for using toooo many .... (full stops)never noticed it before, looks a bit irritating.. :( i will agree)

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » November 27, 2009, 8:33 am

as a founding member of udonmap i find this thread both refreshing and rather ironic . refreshing that its been allowed to run !!!! and ironic because if it was not for certain moderators on here being a little over zealous , and holding personal grudges , then udonmap would never have come into existance . its conception only came to fruition because there were several long standing members of udonmap , that quite honestly were sick to death of posts being deleted or modified for no apparent reasons . not only did i get banned for 2 months for questioning mods actions , but then suffered what could only be discribed as a personal witch hunt , where any post that mentioned my name was deleted , and all signitures were deleted because again several supported me . please dont quote the rules to me , because even the mods break the rules !!! i know for a fact that dave 58 is a mod using a differant name , which is against the rules !!!!! udonmap is just a fledgling for sure , its not in competition with this site , and never will be , its a totaly differant forum which was set up for a bit of fun and banter , with some useful information thrown in for good measure . however its moderators are open in thier approach and any deletions or edits are done with an explanation in open forum for all to see . it may very well be a little lightweight for certain members tastes , but thats the whole point of udonmap , its a light hearted forum , but its open , and its honest .

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » November 27, 2009, 8:36 am

BobHelm wrote:YES any post that is(in the eyes of the reader) seen as being designed to "promote" another web site is illegal under the rules...
My last word honestly (unless asked a question).

Given the statement above, I as a 'reader' find all links to Youtube to be promoting that website, can/will you remove all of them and ban them from being posted ????

I doubt it, what about links to ThaiVisa? doubt that too and/or Teakdoor, must admit not seen many of them, nope guess they're allowed also. So why then UT ?? Hhhmm back to my opinion then..............

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 27, 2009, 9:05 am

In answer to your question no I would not delete links to You Tube -unless the content was unacceptable.
You Tube is a site designed to allow the uploading & playing of videos on the Internet, as far as I am aware no phpBB Forum has the software facility to enable this directly. Hence, if you want to enable members to upload videos it is necessary to enable links to You Tube.
You are entitled to hold any opinion you wish, just as I am. I am neither seeking to change your opinion, nor seek your approval of mine. You asked me a question, I answered in what I know was a truthful manner. Whether you chose to believe that or not is of little consequence to me.

Return to “Open Forum”