Brits encouraged to sign up with tracking system

Thailand news, views and comments
BobHelm
udonmap.com

Brits encouraged to sign up with tracking system

Post by BobHelm » December 1, 2009, 12:44 pm

I would be interested to know what other Brits think about this & if they are going to do so...
Full Story here...http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index.asp?id=8060

I am not currently registered with the Embassy - although HMG are well aware of where I am through the Revenue - as (I am sorry to say) do not exactly hold them in the highest regard. :shock:

747man
udonmap.com

Re: Brits encouraged to sign up with tracking system

Post by 747man » December 1, 2009, 12:55 pm

BobHelm wrote:I would be interested to know what other Brits think about this & if they are going to do so...
Full Story here...http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index.asp?id=8060

I am not currently registered with the Embassy - although HMG are well aware of where I am through the Revenue - as (I am sorry to say) do not exactly hold them in the highest regard. :shock:
That makes 2 of us ( At least ) then Mr.Helm... :shock: :shock:

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 1, 2009, 6:47 pm

Iam currently registered and after the tsunami, I was phoned to ascertain that i was alright.
Although NOT registering does in some way possibly stop many agencies find out where you are,I have no information that the information held by the Foreign office is in any way disseminated to other agencies inside the UK.It is as i understand it a tool to a, know who is in TYhailand, possible address and contact details and now they are adding NOK details in case of an emergency. Not only that you can have other things donbe for you if you are registered regarding visas, letters and a myriad of other services that you may or may not want.
Those who have a morbid fear of anything to do with any government agency as a result of previous lifestyle ( shall we say) will not register in any event, but for those normal citizens it can I think do no harm to your current or even future situation.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » December 1, 2009, 7:44 pm

This exact same thread has been running on TV for some time and this was my response and I'm sticking to it!
Believe you me and I'm Australian who tried to sort an expat British Citizens affairs after he died in a traffic accident last week :- The Effin British Embassy only works 35 hours a week --- after that they don't give a f#ck. Unlike the Aussie Embassy who bent over backward to help me in a similar situation last year.

Gorden Brown and the UK --- YOUR DOWN THE ---- TUBE --- Why didn't you whackers listen to Enock (excuse the spelling) Powel when you had the opportunity.

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » December 1, 2009, 7:57 pm

US Embassy has had a similar system for many years.

I registered in 2006 and have never heard from them with the exception of an Embassy e-mail message every few months (scheduled protests in Bangkok to avoid, embassy services offered in remote locations)...

If you're a Boy Scout, you've got nothing to be paranoid about. What with reporting to Thai Immigration every 30 minutes (seemingly) I'm sure it wouldn't take much work to find you.

Laying low might feed your fugitive-on-the-lam fantasy though. :D

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 1, 2009, 9:56 pm

Enoch Powell had his Australian equivalent - name was Pauline Hanson. Mind you, Ms Hanson was very much an intellectual minnow when compared to Mr Powell. But she certainly had some appeal to the xenophobic and unthinking in the Oz miasma.

Since been convicted of fraud; and not convicted, but found guilty in the court of public opinion of imposing on the public purse for personal gain.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » December 2, 2009, 10:17 am

Yes Jack, a typical Politician :D

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » December 2, 2009, 6:47 pm

The British government are not doing it our benefit.

They should worry about all the people coming in from Pakistan, Yeman, Somalia, that have not had any security checks.

The most important people in my life, my family, can contact me very easily via telephone, fax, and MSN messenger with video.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » December 3, 2009, 9:20 am

I just think it's a sensible thing to register, if only from a communication point of view between Thailand and the UK. I'm particularly thinking about when I do die! 8-[

Who knows what tomorrow brings? I may snuff it up some remote mountain, far from anyone I know in Udon. The police are obliged to inform the Embassy, who will inform my remaining family back in UK. (My eldest son there holds my will, will be executor and knows I 'm happy to be disposed of here.)

Whilst married here to Thai whose English is fair, I can't really expect her to know her way around contacting various agencies in England. My son will handle that and ensure she gets monies due to her.

deang foon

Post by deang foon » December 3, 2009, 11:18 am

Watch out for this one people !!!!! Whilst still being an ex pat working overseas the company I work for had a very well written letter sent from the brit embassy requesting all ex pat brits to register with them. The letter explained all the benefits we were to gain such as Bangdung Dero has pointed out in the case of emergencies & political no go areas. What a load of crap.

The real deviant reason as we have all deduced is that the scummy gov`t want to know your whereabouts to TAX your sorry ex pat arse, this has been lurking in the pipeline for a year or two now so watch out. Be it con`s or lab who are in, this one is set to bite our buts in the near future. Stay under the radar !!!!

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » December 3, 2009, 11:53 am

Are you so naive to believe they don't know you're here?

Unless you left home and entered Thailand on a false passport, under your secret-agent, deep-cover alias, it wouldn't take Sherlock Holmes to deduce your whereabouts.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » December 3, 2009, 5:10 pm

If any governement want to track u, they go to their immigration department, track ur passport to the last immigration desk and they have ur last country of entry.

Those who dont register and have an issue with death or serious injury, will also be slagging the Embassy off for not doing enough.

Mind you the Uk embassy does stand out as being difficult when it comes to after hours assistance.

They have staff paid to be oncall for emegencies, its just their interpretation of your emegency that riles many??

Ter
udonmap.com

Post by Ter » December 3, 2009, 5:28 pm

Last year during the airport debacle i received a text message as soon as i arrived and turned on my phone, to contact the BE so there are many ways they can track persons.
Personally I don't have a problem with it.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » December 3, 2009, 5:36 pm

What was the message Ter, delay ur travel to Thailand unless essential ??

Ter
udonmap.com

Post by Ter » December 3, 2009, 5:47 pm

Urgent contact british consul, In case of civil unrest we would like to know where in thailand you will be traveling to or staying, something along those lines wazza. no cup of tea and biscuits though. then dumped outside Thai airways main office and told you make your own way to Udon. no worries though just wish they had dropped us off at Mo chit.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » December 3, 2009, 10:09 pm

I note the negative resp[onses some from Brits and some from other countries, who seem to be able to speak put against anything British.

Only those with a problem object, those who have no skeletons etc, need not worry.

Texpat
udonmap.com

Post by Texpat » December 3, 2009, 10:47 pm

Every secret-double-undercover-agent please respond to the British Embassy (secret underground, triple secret spy double/triple spy entrance).

AND DON'T TELL ANYBODY! Listen, we have the best intelligence in the world~! It's a sad reality that every single intelligence officer in Britain was either on vacation or busy scouring images of topless beaches in Spain when they claim to have the best intelligence available...

But I digress... :(

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » December 6, 2009, 8:42 am

i am surprised Ter was contacted last year during the PAD problems. I had registered with locate, and was stuck at the airport. Phonecall to my next of kin or me - no. Email even - no. Only help i got was when i turned up in person 3 days later at the embassy; a free phonecall home and advice of 'call your airline'. They didn't even take my details. So i relied on my Thai friends to look after me (which they did). Didn't bother registering this time and will probably make my own arrangements for emergency contact in future. I have little faith in help from the embassy.

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » December 6, 2009, 9:14 am

Interesting thread and I did try and register all my details but the stumbling block with their registration form is that it seems to relate to UK citizens planning to come here ie compulsory to quote an arrival and expiry date .Since I am already here then I cannot proceed to the final page of the registering.
It is quite extensive in info,some things not sure why asking for ie mothers maiden name but some things good ie what is your blood group.
Looks like my next trip out of LOS in 8 Mths time will enable me to complete the application.
Since also the initial link at Thai Visa or Phuket Gazette shows a further link to a website to set up a will for expats then that is also a good idea.
Info to help the British Embassy if a problem arises and as for me,have done a Thai will re my assets here and you can put extra info in the application mentioning this.So if your wish is for your body to be sent home when brown bread then that should happen,not dropped in the Mekhong by your TW or TG for the fish. 8)

And about a year ago I had to supply info re money laundering requirements via my accountant to the Inland Revenue advising of my funds are legit so enough people know I am here,the registering form helps to fill in some of the blanks.

The only thing prior to this new idea was to go into the Embassy website and register there but all it asked when I registered in 2006 was my name and which city/town I am living in so not much to help them for next of kin,family back in UK.

Of course bad farang will not register,the passport info/number is required so will show up anything untoward alongwith your name.

Return to “Thailand News”