Colon and Prostate screening

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
Ray.Charles
udonmap.com

Colon and Prostate screening

Post by Ray.Charles » January 6, 2010, 11:14 am

Do you have any recommendations on clinic/hospitals, preferably in Udon, but can be in Bangkok, as well.
I had an outpatient surgery at the Bangkok Nursing Hospital (BNH) a few years back. It was a 5* facility, and had no complaints about the medical care either.
I have plans to travel to Bangkok near the end of this month.

laphanphon

Re: Colon and Prostate screening

Post by laphanphon » January 6, 2010, 12:26 pm

sent you a PM 8)

Ray.Charles
udonmap.com

Post by Ray.Charles » January 8, 2010, 2:32 pm

Your PM is disabled. Can you PM your e-mail to me?

lepidoptra
udonmap.com

Post by lepidoptra » January 8, 2010, 6:06 pm

Ray Charles
I can only comment on screening for prostate cancer. Most hospitals in Udon will give you a PSA check for about 800 baht.
The result for a normal prostate gland is 0 to 4. I have a check each year. Last year it was 2.6 but a recent check revealed a reading of 6.5. I was advised to have a biopsy which I did at the university hospital in Khon Kaen. The result showed irregularity and I was given the option of several types of treatment. I decided that I should return to the UK for further tests. If you do go to the Khon Kaen hospital get their early and be prepared for a long day. I was fortunate that they were able to do the biopsy the same day I first attended. I know of no hospitals in Udon who carry out this procedure.
As far as hospitals in Bangkok are concerned the private ones are extremely good with room and service as good as any hotel. Of course this is reflected in the invoice. A 4 day stay with a small micro surgery operation to my back cost me 168,000 baht.(Bumengrad) hospital.
If you have insurance then it's no problem.
I would have sent a PM if your box was open. Never mind
Best of luck

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » January 8, 2010, 10:37 pm

Having also had the check, and that i was a tad over the magic figure of 5. I was offered a full looksee as it where or a wait and see.
having contacted my family in the UK ( 3 doctors and a senior nurse, the options were all obviously discussed the following was the outcome for what it is worth.
1, Any looksee can be not only traumatic but does carry soem risk
2, Some people are higher than others, and a considered wait of some six months was the date mentioned if it has risen over the first check then a re-examination of the possible scenarios must therefore be considered.
3, If the reult is the same or lower do not start poking.

Consider this , I was advised, where the medical services of a country are routinely cash based any opportunity to get it is used. Including scaring the living daylights out of you, so that you will undergo what is probably a complete waste of time and money to deal with something that will proably NOT do you any harm in your lifetime.

Although the blood test might show an irregularity, it is normally used to see IF your previous cancer tumour has reactivated .
I was also advised watch your motions and make a physical check any discolouration ( ie blood colouring or even blood) should be the immediately reported.

Now some may say that is too late, but if everything else about you is normal, blood, BP, pulse, urine, faeces checks are Ok the possibility of something wrong would be unusual.
In all cases it is up to oneself, but do take second opinions before undergoing any invasive work.

Now i tend ot listen to my family as between them they have over 100 years of medical knowledge and that one is a surgeon, one a retired doctor who treated terminally ill ( cancer ) patients and the other has been qualified for the past 10 years and is up to date on most things.

In Thailand I have found they are very good at treating but not so good on investigative work unless you are prepared to pay. And as with all proceedures they use the norm , they do NOT do an in depth analysis on you as an individual , which as my family told me, none of us are the same.
These comments are purely for info, not as a yarrdstick for anyone ,just informative.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » January 9, 2010, 12:13 pm

sent you a pm if you have any questions, i notice my outbox is empty, so you received 1st pm. if not, let me know here and i will post here. if psa numbers for prostate are high, then another test, that i have not had done, 'free psa' is advised usually. though this can sometimes be confusing here, if asking, as nothing is 'free', joke, but they confuse the terminology, as i know someone trying to get it, and took some time to explain what it was, but don't think the place offered it anyway.

Ray.Charles
udonmap.com

Post by Ray.Charles » January 9, 2010, 12:57 pm

I tried to PM you, but it is disabled. Can you PM your e-mail to me?

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » January 10, 2010, 10:58 am

Are there any symptoms of either that we should look out for?

lepidoptra
udonmap.com

Post by lepidoptra » January 10, 2010, 6:38 pm

One of the main symptoms is a need to urinate often, especially at night.
may i suggest you Google Prostate Cancer. the internet and will give you comprehensive information

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » January 10, 2010, 7:52 pm

PSA at AEK: inexpensive, same-day results.

Colonoscopy at Bumrungrad a few years ago was almost pleasant (concious sedation) and fascinating (you get to see the camera's eye view), but would require an overnight stay in Bangkok to prepare, and possibly one after.

Any body had it in Udon?

Ray.Charles
udonmap.com

Post by Ray.Charles » January 11, 2010, 7:16 am

Did you get a physical , that is the finger test for prostate screening, as well?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » January 11, 2010, 10:38 am

Return to “Health & Beauty”