Steve's Fish & Chips

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
pompui
udonmap.com

Re: Steve's Fish & Chips

Post by pompui » December 13, 2010, 11:20 am

wazza wrote:Load of cods to me
Give it a burl when next here,not much moolah,160 baht :D

Sport
udonmap.com

Post by Sport » December 13, 2010, 12:08 pm

wazza wrote:Load of cods to me
Oh wazza, Codswallop, lol.

Nick@AUA
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by Nick@AUA » December 19, 2010, 9:57 am

Has anyone tried Steve's fish and chips yet.
Report please?

21again
udonmap.com

Post by 21again » December 19, 2010, 10:51 am

Yes, 2 nights on the trot, very good, fish and chips, i think the fish is Dory?
Price of fish 80 baht, chips which are okay 50 baht.
Recommended
Opens at 9.30 in the evening.I'm a fifteen minute drive away and it is still warm when i get home. :D

mally
udonmap.com

Post by mally » December 24, 2010, 5:48 pm

Yeh, I tried some a week or so ago, not bad at all, and cheaper than I can buy it in the UK (but not for long the way the pound is going !).

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » December 24, 2010, 10:11 pm

But not a patch on the fish and chips fom the Irish clock.

johnty.
udonmap.com

Post by johnty. » December 25, 2010, 1:00 am

Wee Jimmy,i don't know what the fish and chips are like in i/c,but, i do know what they are like in "The Chippy".When you've had your fill of the nectar and you feel hungry,they just hit the right spot.I have had them 4 times this week,in different guises and every time they have hit the spot.I don't think it is fair to judge them against other establishments,too much of this on here and always negative.At the time of night that they are open,they will always have a market and cater for such,i for 1 have enjoyed every visit.Nice food,nice staff,clean environment(can't be said for many places,even new one's) and good food at a good price,fresh place on the block that needs to be tried,good luck,merry xmas and a prosperous New Year to all at "The Chippy",regards Johnty.

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » December 25, 2010, 7:17 am

Can't understand why anyone would go to a chippy when they can sit in comfort eat. Oh, but I'm sure I passed the so called chippy a couple of nights ago and saw a farang sitting at a table diving into fish and chips with his knife & fork... This would therefore contradict any previous statements about it being a take away only.

21again
udonmap.com

Post by 21again » December 25, 2010, 9:37 am

Wee Jimmy wrote:Can't understand why anyone would go to a chippy when they can sit in comfort eat. Oh, but I'm sure I passed the so called chippy a couple of nights ago and saw a farang sitting at a table diving into fish and chips with his knife & fork... This would therefore contradict any previous statements about it being a take away only.
Jimmy, as you know here in Udon most falang establishments close between 9 and 10 in the evening, therefore it is now handy having a chippy which is open late,i for one tend to eat later, especially after a few beers.

johnty.
udonmap.com

Post by johnty. » December 25, 2010, 10:01 am

Jimmy,have you never had a pudding or fish supper in your homeland after a few bevvies and walked down the road eating it?....the only time i have seen anybody sat down eating fish and chips from there was 1 night last week and he was outside,everything you get from there is cooked fresh,so it is nice to have somewhere to sit and wait and as the "chippy" is NEXT DOOR to the Irish Clock,you would have to be BLIND to miss it.

Handsomeman
udonmap.com

Post by Handsomeman » December 25, 2010, 12:15 pm

Had Steve's fish and chips last night, everything spot on, best fish and chips had while in Thailand, will certain to be back for more =D>

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » December 25, 2010, 1:49 pm

I went there the other night with 2 other guys. We got frozen chips from a packet. Dory was the only fish available.

happytraveller

Post by happytraveller » December 26, 2010, 10:23 am

Wee Jimmy wrote:But not a patch on the fish and chips fom the Irish clock.
Wee Jimmy,

I restrained from writing yesterday with it being Christmas .....I had more enjoyable things to do in my life..

Your issue with Steve's fish n chips extends far further than just the food, In fact you have probably not even tasted it!

Using the forum as a battleground to slag off other establishments for nothing other than personal attacks with intent to harm is well below the belt, and probably against forum rules.

Your comments and issues come from a very personal (and possible family) business conflict between the new lease holders of The Irish Clock and the previous management, this is their problem to sort out, most definitely not yours [-X

All this tittle tattling :^o (which you are well known to enjoy around Udon) about who has the best food in town.. etc does no good for any of the establishments. If anything this is now doing a lot more harm than good....after speaking to 'several long term expats in Udon yesterday (about these goings on) this was definately confirmed!

Udon Thani has always been a place where everyone ' mucks together' ....xpats in business meet and eat at each others establishments....it is a place where people do actually scratch each others backs.....when the low season come places are not left completely empty due to this.....unless of course you are one of those who choose to alienate themselves....

I had an excellent take away from Steve's Fish n Chips on Christmas Eve, I also regularly enjoy regularly eating in The Irish Clock, City Lodge, Bookshop, Nobi's, Enrico's on the park and many other fine establishments around the town, I am not picking out which is the best place to eat as each has its own unique specialty & attraction....

Udon Thani, ...even at the rate it is expanding still has a very close nit community ...

Please do not try to spoil that .....

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » December 26, 2010, 11:32 am

Happytraveller. Why pick on me to vent your anger about a place that's doing well? I'm not the only one on the forum who makes comments about establishments and food on this forum and will continue to do so whether you or your kind likes it or not. It appears you are the one who is doing all the nosing into other peoples business.
I have no concerns about any business in Udon whether it does good or bad but I do believe in giving credit where it’s due..
But please bring to light the alledged issue I have with Steves Fish and Chip shop so everyone can see it.

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » December 26, 2010, 3:38 pm

On my next night trip into town and since some good reviews posted apart from Wazza,will devour as a takeaway while getting home on a samlor.Not sure if posted anywhere but what time does the establshment close.midnight or later? Thx

21again
udonmap.com

Post by 21again » December 26, 2010, 4:23 pm

I have been informed it closes after midnight, now that the local bars can open until 1 am i would have thought the chippy would be open until then.
It was rumoured to be open from 9.30pm to 2 am. But i suppose it depends on how many bodies are knocking about at that time.

Stevo
udonmap.com

Post by Stevo » December 26, 2010, 4:30 pm

pompui wrote:On my next night trip into town and since some good reviews posted apart from Wazza,
In all fairness Pomps, I was with Wazza and a few other friends that evening, and the chips we got served were indeed frozen chips from a packet... true enough. I can't offer an opinion on the fish, as I was hoping for cod... which was unavailable. Curry sauce was good (softened up the crispy fries ;) )
pompui wrote:what time does the establshment close.midnight or later? Thx
Opens @ 9:30pm closes 2am.

hangsaboot
udonmap.com

Post by hangsaboot » December 26, 2010, 11:03 pm

the chippy
Opens @ 9:30pm closes 2am.[/quote]

what awfull hours to work ,
thought, mr top cat farang , had enough of working for a living .
there but for the grace of,,,,,,,,,,,,

Frans
udonmap.com

Post by Frans » December 26, 2010, 11:27 pm

I was there about a week ago, Don,t remember the time, But Irish-Clock was close, So i presume it have to been afther midnight. Maybe i had to manny leo :-k

But I remember I order 2 portions and eat everything, So it have to be good ;)

Frans.

PS: The fish and ships from the Irish-Clock are delicious aswell :D

chedd44
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by chedd44 » December 27, 2010, 7:47 am

Frans wrote:I was there about a week ago, Don,t remember the time, But Irish-Clock was close, So i presume it have to been afther midnight. Maybe i had to manny leo :-k

But I remember I order 2 portions and eat everything, So it have to be good ;)

Frans.

PS: The fish and ships from the Irish-Clock are delicious aswell :D
Steve is open from 9.30 pm till 2 am .... it says it on the window...

Return to “Udon Thani Restaurants”